Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] 2017 27 iMac NEW best buy (1700, 700 off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 9:12 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 6, 2019
63 posts
73 upvotes

[Best Buy] 2017 27 iMac NEW best buy (1700, 700 off)

Pretty good deal for anyone looking to update their Mac. I confirmed with Apple (Canada) that this is a 2017 model, and that the processor is faster on 2019's, its 5K, retina display. You will get a French keyboard. 1 year Apple warranty and ability to mac apple care.
Last edited by asdmd19 on Apr 16th, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
55 replies
Member
User avatar
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
422 upvotes
Anjou, QC
Good deal, but be aware this has a fusion drive (small SSD and large HDD together) and i5. Ram is upgradeable (uses laptop ram).

Personally would go for i7 and pure ssd but that will be a decent sized price increase.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 6, 2019
63 posts
73 upvotes
I've had my imac since 2011, so anything is an upgrade at this point :)
Jr. Member
Dec 22, 2014
146 posts
121 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
DrunkTrailerParkSupervisor wrote: Good deal, but be aware this has a fusion drive (small SSD and large HDD together) and i5. Ram is upgradeable (uses laptop ram).

Personally would go for i7 and pure ssd but that will be a decent sized price increase.
curious, is the fusion drive replaceable?

edit: yup. not easy. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel ... ment/30537
Last edited by Joelm72 on Apr 16th, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Sep 25, 2015
489 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Joelm72 wrote: curious, is the fusion drive replaceable?
I replaced the internal hard drive with ssd using the guide on ifixit tutorial.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2593 posts
530 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: I replaced the internal hard drive with ssd using the guide on ifixit tutorial.
Just boot from a thunderbolt SSD. take your install to any Mac, really.
Member
User avatar
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
422 upvotes
Anjou, QC
asdmd19 wrote: I've had my imac since 2011, so anything is an upgrade at this point :)
No dead GPU? mine died due to gaming at the 7 year mark (i know, dumb) but i pulled the card, sent it to some guy on ebay and he fixed the gpu, working perfectly ever since.

BTW i have an i7 i my 2011 and apart from ram and ssd (which I installed when i fixed the gpu) i don't see much of a reason to upgrade for the use i make.
Joelm72 wrote: curious, is the fusion drive replaceable?

edit: yup. not easy. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel ... ment/30537
There's adhesive you need to remove and replace and you have to be super careful when handling the display, but it is doable. Will void your warranty though, so I'd get what you need from the start if i were you. Extra storage easy via thunderbolt.
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE
Sr. Member
May 4, 2006
552 posts
265 upvotes
Mississauga
Good deal if your in the market for an iMac, but if anyone who is a little bit comfortable with computer tech....you can easily build a hackintosh for cheaper. I built one 4 years ago, still working well.
Newbie
Oct 31, 2018
41 posts
36 upvotes
Probably not recommended though but very hacky and cool to do.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2188 posts
657 upvotes
Central Ontario
DFS 360 wrote: Just boot from a thunderbolt SSD. take your install to any Mac, really.
That’s what I do on my 2019 27” iMac... 1TB XPG NVMe drive in an Orico TB3 enclosure. Approx 1GB/s read/write speeds. It works great! I didn’t want the Fusion drive either but I couldn’t pass up the deal I got.
Jr. Member
May 15, 2012
146 posts
48 upvotes
BRANTFORD
isnt this cpu equivalent 3770k...decent cpu for like 8 years ago or am i wrong?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5265 posts
2310 upvotes
Ancaster
lilchupacabra wrote: isnt this cpu equivalent 3770k...decent cpu for like 8 years ago or am i wrong?
Apple Tax. Though to be fair, a colour calibrated 5k display that covers the same gamut as the Retina in this will set you back ~$1,500+ anyways. So, you're buying a monitor and getting a free low end computer.
Last edited by unshavenyak on Apr 16th, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
15010 posts
6411 upvotes
Ottawa
I hope they update the iMac soon, we'd like to replace ours but it's hard to get excited about buying another one that looks exactly the same
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5265 posts
2310 upvotes
Ancaster
Wow, that's a lot of down votes. I guess people don't realize how expensive the display in this would be on the open market.
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
99 posts
72 upvotes
Does anyone know if I can use this computer as a DISPLAY from my PC? or does it only allow you to use the display through tthe mac?
Member
Mar 14, 2017
356 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: it's hard to get excited about buying another one that looks exactly the same
This is the most apple comment I've ever seen. Form over function!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
15010 posts
6411 upvotes
Ottawa
corwal wrote: This is the most apple comment I've ever seen. Form over function!
Mostly the one we have still works, but it's slow. A new one would cost around $2K, and it looks the same. Apple is a big company and could easily have refreshed their 9 year old iMac design by now.

Would you buy another new car that looks exactly like the one that you bought 9 years ago but has a much better engine and no extra features?
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 7, 2017
738 posts
1201 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Wow, that's a lot of down votes. I guess people don't realize how expensive the display in this would be on the open market.
Seriously it’s a fantastic 5K display. Add onto it a great computer (I’m still running a similar model from 2013 with an external SSD and it runs buttery smooth).
Member
User avatar
Dec 1, 2014
253 posts
422 upvotes
Anjou, QC
david107 wrote: Does anyone know if I can use this computer as a DISPLAY from my PC? or does it only allow you to use the display through tthe mac?
there is target display mode but no clue if it can work on a PC
JANNIES DO IT FOR FREE

Top