Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

$229.99 - ASUS C523 15.6" Chromebook - Silver (Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350/64GB eMMC/4GB RAM/Chrome OS)

[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
366 posts
647 upvotes
Sudbury, ON

[Best Buy] $229.99 - ASUS C523 15.6" Chromebook - Silver (Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350/64GB eMMC/4GB RAM/Chrome OS)

Curious what folks think of this deal, seems lower than anywhere else for a similar chromebook.

If one intended to use only for web-based streaming, Google drive, and playing video files, I think this would be a good option for minimum spend while also doubling as a laptop while travelling.

I'm sure $100 more would net a more powerful device but if your usage threshold was low, that would be a significant increase in spend, proportionately.

Worth noting that this unit does not have HDMI out, so for using an external monitor, you would want to pair with a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
5 replies
Apr 12, 2013
692 posts
655 upvotes
BC
"15.6-inch HD display with a ultra-narrow NanoEdge bezel has a native resolution of 1366 x 768 and an anti-glare coating for crisp and clear viewing

That resolution is the killer. I had an older Asus 13" Chromebook with similar specs and the resolution was so frustrating I sold it.

Jumped on the Amazon deal for the 14" HP Chromebook few weeks back and the FHD screen is so very much better. But better means more $$ so definitely a personal choice.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
366 posts
647 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
AndrewBond wrote: "15.6-inch HD display with a ultra-narrow NanoEdge bezel has a native resolution of 1366 x 768 and an anti-glare coating for crisp and clear viewing

That resolution is the killer. I had an older Asus 13" Chromebook with similar specs and the resolution was so frustrating I sold it.

Jumped on the Amazon deal for the 14" HP Chromebook few weeks back and the FHD screen is so very much better. But better means more $$ so definitely a personal choice.
Thanks for the feedback - in my case 99% of the usage will be with an external monitor so the resolution on this is pretty much irrelevant.

In fact, I assumed I would be able to find a pc or chromebox with similar specs for less $$ as intuitively you would think that by removing a screen and battery it would be cheaper, but it doesn't seem to work that way, and chromebooks seem to be the lowest price option unless you want to use a raspberry pi or something but I'm looking for turnkey solution.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18621 posts
5440 upvotes
Scarberia
might be hot if 1080p and n5000 or better cpu
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1561 posts
476 upvotes
Bedford
ya, I would wait for a better value option.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)