[OP]
Oct 20, 2016
207 posts
102 upvotes

[Best Buy] $39.99 Google Home Mini..reserve in store

picked up mine at bestbuy
brant st burlington
15 minutes ago, still 12 left in aisle 3:04
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 29th, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title edit
114 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14958 posts
865 upvotes
Scarborough
why does everyone want one of these???
I've had the google home for a few months now and i only use it to check the temperature and lately i've been forcing myself to listen to music to it since that's what i've been told ppl use it for... but i really don't see what the rage is ? android is totally useless without a 6" screen in my opinion

pls edu me
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1405 posts
159 upvotes
actng wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:09 pm
I've had the google home for a few months now and i only use it to check the temperature and lately i've been forcing myself to listen to music to it since that's what i've been told ppl use it for... but i really don't see what the rage is ? android is totally useless without a 6" screen in my opinion

pls edu me
Random kitchen timers.
Living room nap alarm clock.
Can't sleep mad libs from bed.
But for me, mainly home automation.
Oct 3, 2010
801 posts
405 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
actng wrote:

pls edu me
You may be right. For me, the appeal is i wanted a speaker in the kitchen. But the intelligent part, i do love the timer function and the music function. I woulnt pay regular price for these functions but for 40$, its a good investment.
Apr 3, 2006
646 posts
109 upvotes
actng wrote:
pls edu me
I thought they were useless too when I first got my amazon dot. Didn’t use it because I could just do everything on my phone. That all changed when I started down the road of home automation.

When I cook my hands are usually full so being able to just turn on and off lights as I’m moving between rooms is awesome. Also setting and stopping timers for cooking. Also switching songs and playlists and changing volume while I cook and clean.

Waiting for some more home automation stuff to arrive but I will soon be able to control my TV and sound system just by talking to my google mini as well. So that means no more having to juggle the numerous remotes on the coffee table. Just say what I want and the TV will turn on and load whatever I want without touching anything. That’s gonna be awesome.

Finally sometimes when I’m upstairs and can’t remember if I’ve turned off everything I just say turn everything off and all my lights and power hungry stuff turns off.

Yes I could live without all of this and have for years. But it makes me happy and is fairly cheap so why not. At full price I wouldn’t have bothered.
Oct 11, 2007
423 posts
344 upvotes
Montreal
I love this thing. Controls my hue lights, my chromecast audio speakers and my tv with the harmony hub not to mention every other little thing this assistant does.
39.99$ is an awesome deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
2138 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Noob question, I got a google home and loving it so far from random questions for fun, weather and temp, setting timers for cooking and music... With respect to automated lighting, what kind of lights do you get? I am guessing here, do most people use it with Philips hue? Tia!
Jun 28, 2009
591 posts
169 upvotes
looks like the source has this available online as well. time to use my $25 off coupon...
Aug 21, 2011
253 posts
84 upvotes
TORONTO
honggil wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:36 pm
Noob question, I got a google home and loving it so far from random questions for fun, weather and temp, setting timers for cooking and music... With respect to automated lighting, what kind of lights do you get? I am guessing here, do most people use it with Philips hue? Tia!
Philips hue or any z-wave/zigbee lights if you have smartthings or similar hub. And there are some bulbs like TP-link smart bulbs work which work with Google assistant without any hub.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7471 posts
404 upvotes
Same here. I don't see I will have any practical use of it. I bring my phone whether I go. If I need to listen to music or radio, I just turn it on from the phone. Also, we (wife, kids and myself) don't usually listen/watch same stuff, thus no point turning on loud/broadcasting what I am listening. In terms of TV watching, we usually stream from Kodi or other apps, I don't think this device is able to pick and stream items for us. In terms of lighting, we have so many light switches on each floor and I doubt I will install and automate them soon.

Don't get me wrong. I do have other online/IP devices e.g. IP cams, IP thermostat, garage door opener, self monitoring home alarm system, etc, I just don't find this device useful for me at least at this moment :)
actng wrote:

pls edu me
Last edited by rdx on Nov 29th, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 14, 2013
614 posts
140 upvotes
Moncton
actng wrote:

pls edu me
$40 to allow people to be a little lazier, only downfall is google will now listen to you 24/7.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8518 posts
798 upvotes
does it work with Mi Box which runs adnroidtv?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Aug 30, 2013
325 posts
123 upvotes
prairies
Since when was the timer on the stove not good enough to countdown the minutes remaining for cooking?

I can see the light switch functionality useful, mostly if you can use wheh you are away from home and can control it. But really how lazy are people that they cannot hit the light switch when walking by the switch while leaving the room.

Music playing capabilities by voice can definitely be a useful function.

For some reason I'd rather see the weather details on my phone instead of hearing it.

Not sure of the other expanded home automation features ( ie. Temp control and other power saver automations).

I mostly see this as another way for Google to collect more and more data on everyone.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1379 posts
363 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:54 pm
does it work with Mi Box which runs adnroidtv?
Yes, it controls it using the chromecast function. It's not quite the same as the Android TV voice commands.. it's a bit inconsistent in that regards. Google Home commands can display stuff that Android TV can't, and vice versa.
Always in search of a great deal....
[self promotion removed]