Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] 3rd Gen IPad Pro 11"/12.9", Folio case and screen protector again!

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14583 posts
5797 upvotes
Ottawa
blindemboss wrote: Most people probably should buy the entry level iPad for $400 (when it's on sale) or the new rumoured iPad Air next month. Especially if you're really just using it for emails, surfing and FaceTime with family. Spending $1000+ on a 'professional' level tablet is fine if you're truly using it's power and capabilities.
We are discussing the relative merits of the 2018 iPad Pro with 1TB and LTE.

I assume if they are interesting in a iPad Pro, there are other reasons they need to get the Pro. If the question is exactly "which Apple tablet should I get?", the answer may very well be iPad Air or maybe even the Mini.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Aug 27, 2007
12 posts
8 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: What do you mean? It has 4gb.
They are referring to the 1TB 2018 model which reported is detected as 6GB of RAM by iOS but the 2GB is to keep the SSD up to speed and is locked from being accessed by Developers. In short, artists who are looking to get extra layers and mileage out of programs like procreate will not see any added benefits to the additional 2GB on the 1TB model as it's not fully accessible.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2885 posts
595 upvotes
Mississauga
Tsukika wrote: They are referring to the 1TB 2018 model which reported is detected as 6GB of RAM by iOS but the 2GB is to keep the SSD up to speed and is locked from being accessed by Developers. In short, artists who are looking to get extra layers and mileage out of programs like procreate will not see any added benefits to the additional 2GB on the 1TB model as it's not fully accessible.
Do you know if this is the case for the latest iPad Pros?
Jesus saves, I spend
Aug 8, 2019
33 posts
48 upvotes
Lazy Susan wrote: Do you know if this is the case for the latest iPad Pros?
No the ipad 2020 has 6gb ram across all devices including the 1TB version.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2885 posts
595 upvotes
Mississauga
pathoma wrote: No the ipad 2020 has 6gb ram across all devices including the 1TB version.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was curious about the RAM usage and whether the 2GB is reserved for the storage on the latest Pros.
Jesus saves, I spend
Aug 27, 2007
12 posts
8 upvotes
Lazy Susan wrote: Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was curious about the RAM usage and whether the 2GB is reserved for the storage on the latest Pros.
The short answer for Procreate specifically would be yes, it's available for apps to use. No, it isn't reserved for storage [I had to edit cause I read your post completely wrong ^^"]

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to another site/forum, however in the one use case that I wanted an iPad for was Procreate and I believe their official responses, which I based my previous response on was:

"Unlike in the 2020 iPad Pros, the extra 2GB RAM in the two 2018 1TB iPad Pro models isn’t available to app developers to use, and instead is allocated to iOS."

and

"...The 1TB 2018 iPad Pro does have the same amount of RAM as the new 2020 iPad Pro, but unfortunately it isn’t developer accessible RAM, so we aren’t able to use it to up the Layer limits in Procreate."

If you're struggling on deciding whether to go with the 2018 vs 2020 (like I am), I would strongly suggest querying Google on some of the apps you think you'll use most often and see if there are any performance differences between 2018 vs 2020.

Most of the head-to-head tests (on youtube) seem to indicate that for most applications, the performance differences between the 2018 vs 2020 models were negligible IIRC except for encoding video, for example.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2885 posts
595 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks so much. That really helps.

I'm definitely not planning to do any type of video encoding on the iPad.
Jesus saves, I spend
Aug 8, 2019
33 posts
48 upvotes
Lazy Susan wrote: Thanks so much. That really helps.

I'm definitely not planning to do any type of video encoding on the iPad.
Also due to extra usable 2gb of ram, the app doesn't refresh in the background as much as the 2018 ipad pro (there's a youtube video comparing this).
With the current education deal, I think it's better to go with 2020 version unless you absolutely need 1TB and cellular.

If you are thinking about 11" version of ipad pro, there is a rumour stating ipad air 4 will have the same form factor as 2018 ipad pro with usb-c and support for apple pencil 2.
So unless you are in need of "pro" device, want free airpod from education deal, or need ipad asap, I would wait for Apple's announcement happening in about a week.
Aug 27, 2007
12 posts
8 upvotes
That's good point about background app refreshes. Which channel did this test? I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks.
Aug 8, 2019
33 posts
48 upvotes
Tsukika wrote: That's good point about background app refreshes. Which channel did this test? I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks.
It was a channel that wasn't in English.
But they opened the same number of apps and tried re-opening again.
Ipad pro 2020 opened to where the app left off while Ipad pro 2018 refreshed most of the times.
However, the opening or loading speed of the app were relatively the same in both models.

Honestly speaking, I don't think you will feel any difference using either model in daily usage.
The only time when you will be noticing difference might be if you are professional using close to maximum layers in procreate or doing many layers and edits in photography (ie. affinity, lightroom).

Even the exporting time of 4k video was relatively the same between both models in Lumafusion.
Sep 10, 2009
464 posts
264 upvotes
I like the case this came with. For the $30 discounted price, it beats a lot of other cases I found on Amazon for the features. The screen protector though is getting returned.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the Galaxy Tab S7+? I’m actually thinking of changing this to that due to the AMOLED so I can edit photos more consistently between my devices and its Android so it’ll work well with all my other Android stuff. Too bad there’s no good video editors on Android like LumaFusion :/
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1227 posts
662 upvotes
Ajax
Does anyone have a 12.9" 1TB that they may return? I have a coworker that really wants one. Preferably BNIB.

THX
Aug 10, 2018
1 posts
I don't think Best Buy is the best place to get the IPad Pro. I bought 2 IPad Pros 12.9 1tb for $1600 and $1300 respectively on Kijiji (no tax). I had the earlier IPad 2017 and an Ipad Mini but the Pro is amazing. Coupled with the magic keyboard and Pencil 2 and you're nearing a laptop replacement. I was looking at the 2020 models but I don't think they're worth it when you look at the speed comparisons on YouTube. Its basically a tie and in some cases the Gen3 wins
Jun 4, 2009
57 posts
7 upvotes
Have a 11" 1TB + LTE space gray unopened, would like to trade up/down with a 12.9" - open to any storage/lte specs.
Or Surface Book 3 w/ warranty - this might out of scope in this thread :-) .
Last edited by drx1 on Oct 9th, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 24, 2019
76 posts
25 upvotes
Quebec
Slightly off-topic, but since there are iPad connoisseurs here:

Let's say I only want an iPad with 12,9" screen, don't care about LTE or storage, which should I get (cheaper)?
I might use it for a few board games once in a while, but won't take pictures with it, and I would like it to be fast enough to browse news for a couple of years at least.
I'll mainly use it to display piano sheets (but it needs to be apple for some app reasons). Would I be able to use it with a Bluetooth pedal to switch pages of a pdf? Tks!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2422 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Damn you guys got me excited for nothing!
Soon as I saw this one got bumped bestbuy site was opened already since I missed the deal last time. been looking for a deal
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
Got my 2020 iPad Pro with bright spot. The agent talked me into getting it inspected and repaired under warranty. Their QC went down the toilet. End of rant for now.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
tallshorty wrote: why are so many returning theirs?
I return this as I thought the BTS deal is pretty good too. The extra 2GB ram might come in handy-possibly longer update/support. LIDAR sensor/wide angle lens might come in handy.
But then I got a bright spot on a brand new iPad Pro 2020, and their rep talked me into getting repaired under warranty-disappointed, I thought they would offer a return shipping label for exchange right away. FML. First world issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1082 posts
199 upvotes
PACIFIC
MeatJuice wrote: Unusual if you were to have those white spots when new or near new. These white spots have appeared on all my ipads from way back in the day till now. It forms from internal pressure exerted from expanding batteries themselves and pressure upon other components as they age and from accumulated heat exposure. I’ve even had one exert so much pressure that the glass screen cracked and an entire section even detached from the metal case.
Guess not so unusual in my case, and it's with a 2020 Pro model too. My old iPad never had that, don't know if they change the supplier or the older design was more durable.