Hot Deals

[Best Buy] $40.0 D-Link AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router (DIR-822L) - Refurbished

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 1:48 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2020
13 posts
34 upvotes

[Best Buy] $40.0 D-Link AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 5 Router (DIR-822L) - Refurbished

Router generates 2 bands of 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi for fast, reliable streaming to every device in your household
4 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports
91m maximum range
4 high-gain antennae and MIMO technology
QoS
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3923 posts
838 upvotes
Mississauga
D-Link and reliable are oxymoron when used together.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2221 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
Do yourself a favor. Do NOT buy this.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1331 posts
956 upvotes
So clearly this is not the router to get. Can anyone suggest a simple budget router that will be better than what telus offers? I'm in a 1100 sqft condo with lots of interference from other networks and my speeds aren't the most stable.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17091 posts
19027 upvotes
DanP wrote: So clearly this is not the router to get. Can anyone suggest a simple budget router that will be better than what telus offers? I'm in a 1100 sqft condo with lots of interference from other networks and my speeds aren't the most stable.
I just do the mental math in my head and think, what is the aggravation of a bad router worth?

My conclusion.

Get yourself an Asus RT-AC86U when it goes on sale for sub-$200.

Steep price, but you can set it and forget it for most common use cases.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10003 posts
2423 upvotes
Winnipeg
Beamforming
No
Quality of Service (QoS) Controls
Yes
MU-MIMO
No
Wireless Access Point
No
Mar 1, 2008
178 posts
35 upvotes
DanP wrote: So clearly this is not the router to get. Can anyone suggest a simple budget router that will be better than what telus offers? I'm in a 1100 sqft condo with lots of interference from other networks and my speeds aren't the most stable.
Are your problems because of the router or just your wifi? If you have wired connection is your internet stable? If it is, then a cheap way to do it is to buy yourself an enterprise grade access point (around $70-80) and use that to access wifi instead of the Telus built in you are using right now.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1331 posts
956 upvotes
A_guy wrote: Are your problems because of the router or just your wifi? If you have wired connection is your internet stable? If it is, then a cheap way to do it is to buy yourself an enterprise grade access point (around $70-80) and use that to access wifi instead of the Telus built in you are using right now.
Just the wifi. If i test the hardwired connections, I get more than I am promised in speed. But the wifi speeds are pretty all over the place. I assume it's because of all the network conjestion(living downtown in a highrise and work from home mandate) and the telus router not being the best. So i've been learning about routers over the last few days....lots to know!
Dec 28, 2006
944 posts
915 upvotes
A router with 5GHz band (AC) can help you. Signal on 5GHz is shorter range meaning less interference. Also, the band is not as crowded as 2.4GHz (N). If you need 2.4GHz for older device, use a wifi analyzer (free to get) on android to check out what channels (1-11) are less crowded. Hopefully, your router allows you to change the channels. I always buy routers that I can install DD-WRT firmware, on which I can use the desired channels, or set a schedule to change the TX power. If you are interested, check out the DD-WRT supported devices.

For a budget router, I would recommend DLink DIR-615. You can get one used from Craigslist for $10, but it supports only 2.4GHz but not 5GHz. This router is, literally, indestructible. No matter how wrong I did the firmware update, I can always revive it. I am using DLink DIR-882 as my gateway router with DD-WRT firmware installed. It has 5GHz AC band and serves me well so far.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3558 posts
1692 upvotes
The last time I bought anything from D-Link it was two identical Wi-Fi routers that both died in under a year. Never again.