Hot Deals

[Best Buy] $599 - Acer Spin 13 13.5" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Chromebook OR HP x360 14" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Chromebook

[OP]
Sep 24, 2020
2 posts
2 upvotes

[Best Buy] $599 - Acer Spin 13 13.5" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Chromebook OR HP x360 14" Touchscreen 2-in-1 Chromebook

Debating between these two chromebooks. Both available on sale at BestBuy for $599.

Acer Spin 13 : Has great reviews but comes with 4 GB RAM
HP X360: Great reviews again but comes with 8 GB RAM

Any suggestions on which one is better?

Links to the two products below
Acer Spin 13 - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... s/14994495
HP x360 - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... s/14583604
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 14th, 2021 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
15 replies
Jan 24, 2013
857 posts
3602 upvotes
MILTON
please add price in the title

and Link in the message body
Dec 16, 2009
341 posts
85 upvotes
I use the HP x360 at home, and I support about 20 teachers using them. I've been super-happy with them overall, but it should be noted that I've had 4 failures since September on 21 Chromebooks. Super-easy warranty, but it's a bit disturbing to see so many fail so early.
Nov 25, 2017
714 posts
496 upvotes
The ASUS flip 434 is also 599 - can use $50 coupon at staples to reduce that. This is also a really nice chromebook with no fan and awesome looking screen and aluminum body. Specs not as high as HP one though.
May 25, 2007
50 posts
58 upvotes
on
If you are spending $600 I'd highly recommend something more useful than a Chromebook.
Aug 19, 2007
88 posts
37 upvotes
I dont see the HP for 599, is it a special code?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6790 posts
2710 upvotes
GTA
acbdef wrote: If you are spending $600 I'd highly recommend something more useful than a Chromebook.
If you think Chromebook is not useful, I suggest you spend some time to learn. Money can't buy knowledge.

Spin 713 is an awesome deal with qhd 3:2 screen, the French keyboard might bug some people though.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3199 posts
775 upvotes
Calgary
Not really a deal, more a request for shopping advice.
cy wrote: If you think Chromebook is not useful, I suggest you spend some time to learn. Money can't buy knowledge.

Spin 713 is an awesome deal with qhd 3:2 screen, the French keyboard might bug some people though.
Do you own stock in these companies? What's the motivation behind the nasty tone? He didn't say they are not useful, only that for $600 you should look for something MORE useful.

I agree with him. An i3, eMMC storage and a rudimentary OS for $600 seems a bit steep.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1130 posts
303 upvotes
Not sure if I'm willing to spend so much on a Chromebook just yet. Any thoughts from the developers?
May 25, 2007
50 posts
58 upvotes
on
cy wrote: If you think Chromebook is not useful, I suggest you spend some time to learn. Money can't buy knowledge.

Thanks for the tip :) I have to use a Chromebook every day for work purposes and I curse it every day. As a cheap device for a 10 year old or a senior citizen who doesn't know how to use computers it is ok. Any more than $400 and there is something more capable out there.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1512 posts
877 upvotes
NOYB
First off Chromebook is a great device. I learnt about it thanks to rfders.

It's pretty portable, handy and easy to maintain.

But yes $599 is too steep for one.

There is a lot of decent options for home use windows laptop at this price level.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Stay away from OT/PRC and whoever acts like genuine pieces of xxxxx there.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6790 posts
2710 upvotes
GTA
lewdvig wrote: Not really a deal, more a request for shopping advice.

Do you own stock in these companies? What's the motivation behind the nasty tone? He didn't say they are not useful, only that for $600 you should look for something MORE useful.

I agree with him. An i3, eMMC storage and a rudimentary OS for $600 seems a bit steep.
I apologize if my tone may come off as nasty but I didn't mean it. My point remains - If you really find ChromeOS not "capable enough", I'd like to hear what you do with your laptop. Windows laptop can do "more" stuff, but if a user doesn't use those extra stuff, the benefit of having a COS could be more important to them. There's a good amount of people just lives in their browser and uses progressive web apps. For my use case, the instant on, fanless, extreme battery life, lack of maintenance, always sync'd and a few other highlights would worth sacrificing that extra from a Windows machine (I have a Pixelbook Go).

For some people, if this $600 is all you have to spend on your only laptop - I agree that you should be shopping for something that can cover all basis and sacrifice the simplicity of COS. It all depends on what your objective is and finding the best tool for it. No one should close out their options JUST because a Windows laptop can do more even when you don't even need that extra. An analogy would be that if I am looking for a fun car and I never carry any passengers nor my lifestyle demands practicality, buying a sports car would make more sense than spending the same amount on a sports sedan just because it can carry people and a tree when I never do it. On the other hand, the engineering that made the sports car "fun" would be more appreciated than the extra capacity, meaning money better spent.

I have also own a M1 Mac and a Windows rig. Most of the time I just pick up the Chromebook, other than the time I need Lightroom and Photoshop. I even do some developments on it as it can run Linux containers in Crostini so these machines are pretty capable. Combining with the core advantages of ChromeOS, it should actually be appealing to a lot boarder audience and I fault Google for not marketing this enough. I am not a die hard fan, every OS has their shortcoming.
acbdef wrote: Thanks for the tip :) I have to use a Chromebook every day for work purposes and I curse it every day. As a cheap device for a 10 year old or a senior citizen who doesn't know how to use computers it is ok. Any more than $400 and there is something more capable out there.
Most of the poor experience comes from using ChromeOS on an entry level machine. If you talk to anyone that owns a midrange Chromebook like this one, the opinion will be very different. Spin 713 is rated as one of the (if not the) top Chromebook available right now and it's rarely on sale. This is a solid deal for those that are looking. A $600 Spin 713 vs a $600 Windows, I'd take the spin any day.

Again, I am not here to convince any one, I am enjoying every OS for their core advantages. :) I just wish people are a bit more open minded and not just focus on comparing specs. Giving you a i7 on a Windows doesn't mean you will get a better experience compare to an i3 COS, there's more to just a spec sheet.
May 25, 2007
50 posts
58 upvotes
on
cy wrote: I apologize if my tone may come off as nasty but I didn't mean it. My point remains - If you really find ChromeOS not "capable enough", I'd like to hear what you do with your laptop. Windows laptop can do "more" stuff, but if a user doesn't use those extra stuff, the benefit of having a COS could be more important to them. There's a good amount of people just lives in their browser and uses progressive web apps. For my use case, the instant on, fanless, extreme battery life, lack of maintenance, always sync'd and a few other highlights would worth sacrificing that extra from a Windows machine (I have a Pixelbook Go).

For some people, if this $600 is all you have to spend on your only laptop - I agree that you should be shopping for something that can cover all basis and sacrifice the simplicity of COS. It all depends on what your objective is and finding the best tool for it. No one should close out their options JUST because a Windows laptop can do more even when you don't even need that extra. An analogy would be that if I am looking for a fun car and I never carry any passengers nor my lifestyle demands practicality, buying a sports car would make more sense than spending the same amount on a sports sedan just because it can carry people and a tree when I never do it. On the other hand, the engineering that made the sports car "fun" would be more appreciated than the extra capacity, meaning money better spent.

I have also own a M1 Mac and a Windows rig. Most of the time I just pick up the Chromebook, other than the time I need Lightroom and Photoshop. I even do some developments on it as it can run Linux containers in Crostini so these machines are pretty capable. Combining with the core advantages of ChromeOS, it should actually be appealing to a lot boarder audience and I fault Google for not marketing this enough. I am not a die hard fan, every OS has their shortcoming.
Most of the poor experience comes from using ChromeOS on an entry level machine. If you talk to anyone that owns a midrange Chromebook like this one, the opinion will be very different. Spin 713 is rated as one of the (if not the) top Chromebook available right now and it's rarely on sale. This is a solid deal for those that are looking. A $600 Spin 713 vs a $600 Windows, I'd take the spin any day.

Again, I am not here to convince any one, I am enjoying every OS for their core advantages. :) I just wish people are a bit more open minded and not just focus on comparing specs. Giving you a i7 on a Windows doesn't mean you will get a better experience compare to an i3 COS, there's more to just a spec sheet.
I appreciate the detailed response. I do agree that a chromebook might be a decent device for some people. And even at the $600 price point a good Windows machine might be pushing it unless you can find a good sale. For me the sweet spot in windows vaue is kind of the 700-800 range.

And it's true the Chromebook I use is a cheap one. Poor screen, keyboard that feels like a toy. Missing lots of useful keys like delete and the f key row. The TouchPad is also terrible and I miss having a touchscreen (also why I wouldn't go to an M1 Mac even though I am very intrigued). I really can't understand why somebody would design a TouchPad without right click but that is easily solved with a mouse (probably the same person that though removing the volume button dial from car stereos was smart) . I agree with the your post that the chromebook has a good battery life and instant on is nice. It's also nice that it pretty much manages itself. If I drop it by accident (which was the pint for my kid comment above) and it breaks I probably won't care too much as the replacement cost is low.

I do a lot of work with spreadsheets and Google Sheets although getting better is mostly a miss for me. The Office 365 online version of Excel also isn't great so I would never buy something that doesn't allow a download of the full version of office. There are also basic games that I play that don't require huge specs but don't run on a Chromebook. I also like options other than Chrome as a browser because it isn't the best browser even though most people use it anyway. It feels like any time I want a certain feature on my chromebook to work I have to go into the Chromestore to find some add on that on my personal machine is just there.

Although it certainly wouldn't fall into this price range my personal device is a Surface Pro 5 (i5, 128) and it meets all my needs. The main reason I'd never buy a chrome machine is any other device can already do what a Chromebook can do and it can also do more. And I like to do more with my device.
Dec 19, 2012
91 posts
184 upvotes
CALGARY
Good deal on the Acer. It's tiresome hearing the constant trashing of Chrome OS on here by people who rarely or never use it, or who use a $200 rig and gripe about it feeling cheap. Chrome is great for a lot of use cases. Windows is great for other use cases. If someone can find any combination of aluminum build, glass trackpad, 3:2 aspect ratio, qhd, or convertible windows laptop at $599 I'd love to see it.