Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Acer 11.6" Chromebook CB311-9H-C0Z8, N4000, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, IPS, USB-C charging, bilingual keyboard - $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2021 11:20 am
Feb 4, 2011
285 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
Gedfrad wrote: That looks like the better deal if it is indeed FHD. Too bad I don't see it available online on the Costco website.

However, if I'm going to be using this laptop at school, I'd prefer carrying the lighter 11 inch one.
11 inch screen is tiny and might cause more strain to the eyes. There is also a better layout for keyboard when you use a 14 inch laptop. The downside would probably be battery life with a 14 inch screen, but it's hard to say really. Costco item appears to be decent compared to the 11 inch but it might just be a question of preference.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15129 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: Gonna pass because it's Celeron
It's actually not a "real" Celeron, it's an Atom...which is of course even worse.

Also 1366*768, eMMC, no touch, no tablet-ability. Seems like a useless device to me. Now no I'm not exactly expecting to see those things at this price point but just saying spend a little more and get something that's useful.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2018
351 posts
2609 upvotes
Korin25 wrote: 11 inch screen is tiny and might cause more strain to the eyes. There is also a better layout for keyboard when you use a 14 inch laptop. The downside would probably be battery life with a 14 inch screen, but it's hard to say really. Costco item appears to be decent compared to the 11 inch but it might just be a question of preference.
I had a 11 inch Chromebook for a few months and the size was okay for my usage and didn't cause me any eye strain. The keyboard layout on the 11 inch was also adequate for my usage. If I were carrying a laptop to school every day, I would opt for the lighter and more portable 11 inch one. But if this was for mostly home use, I'd prefer the 14 inch too.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2018
351 posts
2609 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: It's actually not a "real" Celeron, it's an Atom...which is of course even worse.

Also 1366*768, eMMC, no touch, no tablet-ability. Seems like a useless device to me. Now no I'm not exactly expecting to see those things at this price point but just saying spend a little more and get something that's useful.
I find the low resolution fine for this screen size. eMMC should be adequate since ChromeOS doesn't require powerful hardware to run smoothly. The touchscreen isn't important for me either since I would use a Chromebook as a regular laptop with the trackpad.
Nov 29, 2003
439 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
darethehair wrote: Yes, IMHO, .....pay attention to the 'EOL' (Google End of Life) support date....
+1 but I wouldn't worry too much about the EOL date. You will still be able to use it just fine, but you just won't get any more system updates. I have an HP Chromebook from 2014 that stopped getting updates a few years ago and it's still running fine.
Jun 10, 2006
474 posts
136 upvotes
gory33 wrote: +1 but I wouldn't worry too much about the EOL date. You will still be able to use it just fine, but you just won't get any more system updates. I have an HP Chromebook from 2014 that stopped getting updates a few years ago and it's still running fine.
Agreed! In my cases, when my devices reach EOL, I typically have installed UEFI firmware (MrChromebox) and then install Linux and/or Brunch (to get a fresh/new ChromeOS back again!).
Jan 15, 2004
444 posts
57 upvotes
Calgary
Has anyone bought one of these? If so, which keyboard style did you get? I picked one up yesterday and it has a very small "enter/return" key on the right hand side of the keyboard and a couple of extra keys where the return key normally would be.

The pictures online show a standard style keyboard.

Has anybody received one of these with a standard style keyboard?
[OP]
Feb 20, 2018
351 posts
2609 upvotes
pacman wrote: Has anyone bought one of these? If so, which keyboard style did you get? I picked one up yesterday and it has a very small "enter/return" key on the right hand side of the keyboard and a couple of extra keys where the return key normally would be.

The pictures online show a standard style keyboard.

Has anybody received one of these with a standard style keyboard?
I don't think you will get an English keyboard if you ordered through Best Buy since it says bilingual keyboard. The keyboards on product pages may not be accurate. I have seen many laptops that show the English keyboard but they're selling the bilingual one.
Last edited by Gedfrad on Aug 16th, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1159 posts
1288 upvotes
Quebec
RedStrikeCa wrote: Gonna pass because it's Celeron
The N4000 is actually one of the biggest CPU available for cheap chromebooks. I have a model with a slightly slower CPU and it runs fine. Chrome OS runs well on a potato.

720p is fine on a 11 screen.

I was really hesitant to buy a chromebook with a pos celeron cpu and 720p since I would never ever consider this acceptable for a windows laptop but it really does work fine for a casual chromebook.

Lack of touchscreen is a bummer though since much of Chrome OS is built around touch input.
Last edited by kowell on Aug 16th, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: That makes it even worse. What are you comparing this to when you conclude its very snappy?
Worse? No, better.

ChromeOS is FAR lighter on hardware spec needs than Windows. A machine that's intolerable on Windows is often decent to fine on ChromeOS.

The N4000 does fine on ChromeOS for most intended use cases.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2501 posts
2284 upvotes
repatch wrote: Worse? No, better.

ChromeOS is FAR lighter on hardware spec needs than Windows. A machine that's intolerable on Windows is often decent to fine on ChromeOS.

The N4000 does fine on ChromeOS for most intended use cases.
I guess I'm not being clear, my opinion is that chromeOS is just not very good operating system. I would load a light version of linux like Arch xfce if I had it.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17017 posts
4803 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Kevcorm wrote: I would just get a basic iPad over a Chromebook, much faster media consumption device with a way better screen. That's just me though.
For $199 with a keyboard?

Chromebooks are great for surfing, google classroom, zoom meetings etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: I guess I'm not being clear, my opinion is that chromeOS is just not very good operating system. I would load a light version of linux like Arch xfce if I had it.
I always see this sort of thing whenever ChromeOS is mentioned.

Your opinion is your opinion, but to be honest I don't think you fully understand what ChromeOS is.

The targeted user of Chrome OS has ZERO interest in some linux distro. They need a machine that works, and that can't be 'broken' (software wise) by the user. A machine that is tightly integrated into the Google ecosystem for things like Google classroom. A machine that can be wiped and brought back online in a fully working config in minutes. A machine with crazy good battery life.

To be frank, I considering ChromeOS compared to 'X' to be similar to those trying to claim whatever latest Android device is a good substitute for iPhone users: it's apples and oranges. You either want ChromeOS or you don't. Specs aren't going to sway a person from ChromeOS to Windows, or LInux. Just like iPhone users just want an iPhone, ChromeOS users just want a ChromeOS device.
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
gory33 wrote: Why not get this 14" one for the same price at Costco? Better deal I think. Saw at Mississauga Laird location yesterday. Sorry for the blurry pic.
Storage is just 32 gb. It will fill up fast with a few apps here and there, considering that chromebooks now support android apps through google play store.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
Zoughi1 wrote: Storage is just 32 gb. It will fill up fast with a few apps here and there, considering that chromebooks now support android apps through google play store.
Hehe, my counter to that is: Android apps work so poorly on Chromebooks, especially non touch Chromebooks, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Most customers targeted for Chromebooks don't even know you can install apps, Android or otherwise.
Sep 19, 2004
76 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto Canada
We wanted something larger than a 11" Chromebook like 15". First we looked at SDM Chromebook 315, 15.6" Touch, 4GB, 32GB for $400 and fooling around with their points.

Then we found the same model at BB for $300 Acer CB315 15.6" Chromebook - .. turns out this does not have a Touchscreen even though Acer told us they have an exact same model # that did. We took it back yesterday.

We ended buying for $330 which is $140 off MSRP till 8/19/21 ASUS C523 15.6" Touchscreen Chromebook

Very nice and we are happy.
Jul 17, 2003
205 posts
50 upvotes
Aurora
Korin25 wrote: Chromebooks have a limited consumer base. They are not bad for what they are, but they lack in versatility. Depending on what your needs are, at this price point, it might be a good browser, just not sure if it can handle Youtube (a bit like raspberry pi 4 is choppy on YT videos but is fine for internet browsing). In theory, this Chromebook should handle YT video since it has a 2.6Ghz dual processor (I find anything below 2.4Ghz starts to have issues and is hit or miss), unlike the Raspberry pi which can go up to 1.8Ghz. Even with the lower resolution (which is not an issue for the screen size), I'd want to see it handle YT videos before I'd consider this.
Where did this impression come from? I have an early model of Chromebook from 2015 with Celeron N2840 and it handles Youtube just fine.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17017 posts
4803 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Saicho wrote: Where did this impression come from? I have an early model of Chromebook from 2015 with Celeron N2840 and it handles Youtube just fine.
Agree. I have an older celeron based Chromebook, and it works fine on Youtube.

Not sure where the FUD is coming from, specially given that most are opinions, without actual data points. :)

Source: Actually own one of the HP Chromebooks with 4GB, 32GB eMMC, with 11" inch screen. Served kids perfectly fine with Google Classroom, Youtube, Netflix, and even m2m gaming
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
2501 posts
2284 upvotes
repatch wrote: I always see this sort of thing whenever ChromeOS is mentioned.

Your opinion is your opinion, but to be honest I don't think you fully understand what ChromeOS is.

The targeted user of Chrome OS has ZERO interest in some linux distro. They need a machine that works, and that can't be 'broken' (software wise) by the user. A machine that is tightly integrated into the Google ecosystem for things like Google classroom. A machine that can be wiped and brought back online in a fully working config in minutes. A machine with crazy good battery life.

To be frank, I considering ChromeOS compared to 'X' to be similar to those trying to claim whatever latest Android device is a good substitute for iPhone users: it's apples and oranges. You either want ChromeOS or you don't. Specs aren't going to sway a person from ChromeOS to Windows, or LInux. Just like iPhone users just want an iPhone, ChromeOS users just want a ChromeOS device.
Fair enough, I think such a device should be even cheaper than $200.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
8640 posts
8976 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: Fair enough, I think such a device should be even cheaper than $200.
OK, why?

A windows based laptop, with similar specs, will be the same price new (unless you really find a deal).

Look, if you don't want it, don't buy it and move along. For those who want a Chromebook, this is a decent deal.