Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 17, 2007
479 posts
690 upvotes
Montreal

[Best Buy] Acer 14" Chromebook 399 8gb ram i3 touch

Solid build for a chromebook and overall good reviews apart from ppl being mad about finger print scammer
THE HARDEST THING ABOUT SALES,IS KNOWING WHERE NOT TO WASTE TIME
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1202 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
How does this compare with the Asus C434 flip at a much higher price of $549?
Jun 8, 2008
702 posts
172 upvotes
Does this have a m.2 slot... that changes everything...
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2771 posts
3487 upvotes
Calgary
Deal breaker at least for me would be that bilingual keyboard. It’s next to impossible to find an Acer laptop with an English only keyboard.
Feb 12, 2017
136 posts
121 upvotes
artofwar wrote: How does this compare with the Asus C434 flip at a much higher price of $549?

acer CB has more RAM 8 vs 4, faster CPU and better graphics, but uses more battery power,
so acer added a larger battery 4 cells. both uses Aluminum chassis.
and it can not be flipped into tablet mode; it is just a laptop.

May 18, 2007
259 posts
419 upvotes
Got this at the last sale but ended up returning.

It's very fast and a good price but screen was too dim and the speakers are quiet. Also I could not get used to the keyboard.

If you can live with those compromises it's a great deal.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3271 posts
1783 upvotes
Calgary
redflagdealsguy wrote: eMMC cripples performance.

Otherwise nice effort, OP.
neostylez3 wrote: Does this have a m.2 slot... that changes everything...
I'm guessing u guys have no experience with CBs. Storage size & ultimate speed may make or break Win devices are basically a non issue with ChromeOS. 1stly, most if not all apps are web&cloud based so for all intent & purposes, there are no apps to install & the system do not need to access storage. As eg. my HP x360 14 (similar specs to this particular Acer) does a warm reboot in 7s (yes I was actually dumb 'nuff to time it) so a m.2 drive does nothing significant.

The only situation where apps are installed is in Playstore & Linux. I have 64gb on my CB & after 3yrs, I still struggle to fill 1/2 of that.
artofwar wrote: How does this compare with the Asus C434 flip at a much higher price of $549?
This Acer is much faster specs wise but the Asus is a nicer lighter smaller pkg with almost Dell xps13 like bezelless display. Also 8gb ram is yuuuge. This Acer will be perfect for those who need a lappie with touchscreen capability.