Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Acer 32" 4K UHD 60Hz 4ms GTG VA LED FreeSync $329.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 9:53 pm
Nov 27, 2018
143 posts
277 upvotes
Damn, I can't decide to keep my staples one got from last week or this one, so hard decision...But 4k might be a bigger factor compared to VA vs IPS. Is this deal hot enough to make the switch?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12944 posts
13690 upvotes
ededed3 wrote: Damn, I can't decide to keep my staples one got from last week or this one, so hard decision...But 4k might be a bigger factor compared to VA vs IPS. Is this deal hot enough to make the switch?
4K is not a bigger factor at 32". The PPI is good enough at 1440p that you'll be more attracted to the vibrancy of the IPS on the Staples Acer.
Jun 26, 2007
848 posts
576 upvotes
dazurn wrote: IMO gaming monitors shouldn't be 60hz...
You'd need $4000+ worth of graphics cards to power that. I'm sure anyone with that setup could afford a better monitor.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4290 posts
413 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Have a few of these at work. As someone else has pointed out, it's only rated for 300 nits. HDR mode (subjectively) doesn't look good. I wouldn't recommend this for viewing HDR content.

If you're only looking for a standard 4K 60Hz FreeSync display on a budget, it's not a bad choice.
Jun 9, 2013
354 posts
294 upvotes
Surrey
ededed3 wrote: Damn, I can't decide to keep my staples one got from last week or this one, so hard decision...But 4k might be a bigger factor compared to VA vs IPS. Is this deal hot enough to make the switch?
get both and dual monitor; use 2k for gaming, 4k for video?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5124 posts
1194 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I often show my screen to others, the narrow viewing angles are a problem for me.

Other problems with VA:
- Reduced Brightness
- Reduced Vibrancy

Blacks may be slightly better, but I view my monitor in a brightly lit room where IPS panels are stellar.

To each their own, however.
The blacks aren't just slightly better, they're usually ~3x better, and it is very noticeable in a dark room. And VA panels don't have reduced brightness, it just depends on the panel. This 4K model actually has a higher peak brightness of 300nits vs 250nits on the 1440p IPS Acer.

The main benefits of IPS over VA are viewing angles, slightly better color and response time in dark scenes (VA panels can have some smearing that bothers some people).
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1597 posts
519 upvotes
Thanks for the deal OP!

I am going to keep the Staples 31.5" 1440p and hopefully in a year or two there will be some 4K IPS monitors with a faster refresh rate and proper HDR. If not maybe a TV is the way to go . . .
May 13, 2015
566 posts
789 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pretty good price for a 32" 4k monitor. I got a samsung 32" 4k 60hz monitor under a year ago and the cheapest I could find at the time was $450 for a monitor with those specs.

If you're going for a 4k monitor, I think 32" is a good size. I wouldn't want to go any smaller because then the text becomes too small and you have to upscale a lot, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having a 4k display somewhat.

I really like this for word processing and working because I can have a word document and a pdf open side by side ... and I can use my 2nd monitor for other stuff too.

If you have a gaming PC and you play first person shooter games at high frames per second... then you want a monitor that goes to 144hz. Because if you play on a 60hz monitor, and you're getting 150 frames in game, then it will only have the appearance of being 60fps because of the monitor.

For me, my PC is getting a bit old, and I'm only able to play Battlefield 5 at around 60 or 70 fps anyways... so getting a 144hz monitor wouldn't really help me without upgrading my PC (i'm already overclocking and running on pretty low graphics settings).

Also, there is no such thing as playing modern games at 4k resolution and 144hz. You basically need like a $50,000 setup to make that possible or something crazy like that. So the sweet spot for gaming monitors is 1440p, 144hz... because a modern gaming PC can get over 144 fps at 2k graphics... so it works.

Also, I play a lot of battlefield 5... and it's still great on my 4k, 60hz, monitor... even at 1080p. If I had two grand to blow, I would certainly upgrade my PC and get a 1440p, 144hz monitor and I'm sure it would be a better gaming experience... but unless you're a competitive gamer, you'll still have lots of fun playing on a 60hz monitor. As long as you get over 60 frames per second, it will look smooth enough.
Oct 29, 2007
339 posts
26 upvotes
thanks for your experience sharing, I am looking for a 4k monitor for programming work, debating between 32" and 40", is 32" already too small for text?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12944 posts
13690 upvotes
andyhejob wrote: thanks for your experience sharing, I am looking for a 4k monitor for programming work, debating between 32" and 40", is 32" already too small for text?
You don't really need 4K at 32", it's beautiful and better but it's a little wasted on the smaller screen.

I'm recommending the Samsung NU7100 40" VA 4K TV for monitor use.
Nov 27, 2018
143 posts
277 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: 4K is not a bigger factor at 32". The PPI is good enough at 1440p that you'll be more attracted to the vibrancy of the IPS on the Staples Acer.
Thanks, I'll stick to it then
Nov 27, 2018
143 posts
277 upvotes
kjc123 wrote: get both and dual monitor; use 2k for gaming, 4k for video?
I have dual setup already with my older monitor.
Oct 29, 2007
339 posts
26 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: You don't really need 4K at 32", it's beautiful and better but it's a little wasted on the smaller screen.

I'm recommending the Samsung NU7100 40" VA 4K TV for monitor use.
thanks for the info, 4K might be good for work to open multi windows
my current debate is,
40" might be too big for my desk? what's the recommended eye distance for 40" 4K TV for monitor use?
for 32", is it a bit small for text for work?
as their prices are getting more tempting, may go to the store to find out which is better