Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Acer Aspire 1 15.6" full HD laptop (Intel Celeron N4120/64GB eMMC/4GB RAM/Windows 10) $249.99

Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1148 posts
390 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks!

I already wiped them out :( But it's good to know for future :)

So, if you keep ESP, then will Manjaro use existing one or will create it's own?

Stay safe!
Hugh wrote: You can blow them all away.
I usually keep the ESP (EFI System Partition).

I found 100MB a bit small on one of my computers: the Linux firmware update system wanted to stage stuff in the ESP (on an XPS 15, a wildly different notebook). There was not enough room. The chance that Acer releases new firmware, with support for Linux installation is low.

I triple boot that XPS notebook (Fedora Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Windows 10) which increases the space used in ESP.

There's a slight chance that there is something interesting in the ESP. For example, some manufacturers put diagnostic software there. You could see if there's anything you want to keep.

Before you blow away Windows, I recommend that you check that you have the latest firmware installed. If you later wish to update the firmware, you may have to re-install Windows to do it.
Last edited by StandWithUkraine on Sep 14th, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1148 posts
390 upvotes
Kitchener
Super easy:

Remove all screws from the back cover (I think two in the corners with screen hinges were longer), remove cover (use old credit card to lift, so you don't scratch).

There is only one slot where memory stick fits :) and only one way :)

Oh, don't forget to turn laptop off before doing it! :)
Bug3Bug wrote: I got the 4GB Kingston value ram from Canada computer as well, can you tell me how to install the extra ram. Thanks.
Слава Україні!
Apr 14, 2017
473 posts
882 upvotes
Changed my mind, anybody wants it for $300? if not i am taking it back to bestbuy. Still in sealed box

EDIT: Located near STC
Last edited by cmosve on Sep 14th, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
cmosve wrote: Changed my mind, anybody wants it for $300? if not i am taking it back to bestbuy. Still in sealed box
Where do you reside?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
Zhopa wrote: Thanks!

I already wiped them out :( But it's good to know for future :)

So, if you keep ESP, then will Manjaro use existing one or will create it's own?

Stay safe!
How is Manjaro on this Acer Aspire laptop?
I expect Manjaro should run very slick on your Acer.
I am very happy with it on my HP Stream 14.
Your Acer has N4120 which is a 4-core cpu compared to N4000 which is a 2-core cpu on my HP
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6021 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto
Zhopa wrote: So, if you keep ESP, then will Manjaro use existing one or will create it's own?
It is perfectly legit to have multiple ESPs but I've never run into a use case. It causes no end of confusion for Windows. And maybe for you. I don't know of any advantage in having multiple ESPs on a single drive.

I did it once with Fedora, accidentally (wrong choice during installation). Eventually I did surgery to go back to a single ESP.

Different systems are pretty good at sharing an ESP. But you don't even want to have multiple OSes on this machine.

(It is possible to dual-boot Win 10 and Linux on a 64G "disk", but it leaves only modest space for your data. Better to pick one OS. As an indication: Win 10 is annoying on a 32G disk -- Windows update, which can strike at any time, starts making horrible demands; Fedora 32, a pretty full Linux distro, runs fine on 32G.)
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1148 posts
390 upvotes
Kitchener
It's running :) Honestly, I just installed it and went to work.

It's a school laptop for my son. They use google apps. Tomorrow will install Zoom (so not too much demanding computing). Might install Overwatch 2 and see how it runs.

Feels very snappy! (I added 4GB RAM).

I just didn't create swap partition... Read about it and will make swap file.

Thanks for advices.

Stay safe
drdtyc wrote: How is Manjaro on this Acer Aspire laptop?
Слава Україні!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1148 posts
390 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks, really appreciate it!!!!

Just one more question (sorry for bugging you):

So if I want to keep original ESP then what should I do during Manjaro installation to tell installer to use existing ESP?

(I might out Linux on other machines so would like to know)

Thanks again!
Hugh wrote: It is perfectly legit to have multiple ESPs but I've never run into a use case. It causes no end of confusion for Windows.
Слава Україні!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6021 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto
Zhopa wrote:
So if I want to keep original ESP then what should I do during Manjaro installation to tell installer to use existing ESP?

(I might out Linux on other machines so would like to know)
I've never used Manjaro. Manjaro, like many Linux distros, has its own installer. So it is hard for me to extrapolate.

Looking at the "Partitions" step described here https://itsfoss.com/install-manjaro-linux/ I'd say you would need to choose "Manual Partitioning". This might be more intricate than you'd like. Partitioning may require arcane knowledge.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
Hugh wrote: I've never used Manjaro. Manjaro, like many Linux distros, has its own installer. So it is hard for me to extrapolate.

Looking at the "Partitions" step described here https://itsfoss.com/install-manjaro-linux/ I'd say you would need to choose "Manual Partitioning". This might be more intricate than you'd like. Partitioning may require arcane knowledge.
Manjaro installer has a custom install option like any other Linux.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
cmosve wrote: Near Scarborough town center
Thanks!
Not that I need one.
Please be sure to state your location as RFD forum is for the whole of Canada.
Stating your location helps everyone including youself.
Cheers!
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
Zhopa wrote: It's running :) Honestly, I just installed it and went to work.

It's a school laptop for my son. They use google apps. Tomorrow will install Zoom (so not too much demanding computing). Might install Overwatch 2 and see how it runs.

Feels very snappy! (I added 4GB RAM).

I just didn't create swap partition... Read about it and will make swap file.

Thanks for advices.

Stay safe
Go to Settings>Add/Remove Software
Search for Zoom and you will find it.

Majaro is based on Arch Linux which is quite different from Ubuntu or Linux Mint when it comes to installing extra software.
Jan 9, 2016
213 posts
771 upvotes
GTA
If anyone wants this for $300 in Mississauga, please let me know. My kid is happy to use his iPad and won't need it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Sorry to bring back an old thread. I was kicking myself not buying these since my mother in law wanted 3 x laptop for all the grandkids for Xmas but I found it was too early to buy... But I was looking at it everyday to see if it would come back on sale. The Open Box actually came in at 250$ so I ordered 3 ... then 1 more since my mother in law wanted one for herself.

Anyway I got them. They look great. Booted them up to test and they look awesome. I will set them up for the kids so they are ready to go at christmas.

Now I was wondering does anyone know a good place to get 4GB ram? I saw a few post of used from amazon but wondering if anyone else had a lead on a good price.

Also I will be removing the S mode... but then I was thinking just sticking my USB stick with a fresh copy of windows 10 home and starting fresh without the software installed.... I was wondering if I could just do that or should I remove change the Windows S mode first in windows?

Thanks in advance :)
Sep 13, 2008
198 posts
116 upvotes
If anyone has tried the PCI SSD, please let us know. I had a Dell which was supposed to officially support SSD on PCI, but didn't work. Dell never even bothered about the issue when reported, even though they officially supported it. They were playing blame game, saying SSD issue, drive issue... The very same drive works perfectly in another machine and works with a SATA adapter and that's how I'm using now. Even though the ports physically match the firmware needs to support for it to work. Not sure if Acer makes this model to support it. TIA!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)