• Nov 20th, 2020 5:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3436 posts
1481 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] Acer Nitro 5 i5-9300h + GTX 1650 Open Box $729.99

OK so before the torches are lit and pitchforks raised, hear me out......

I was looking for an entry gaming laptop for my son, who at this point does not require heavy graphics (it would just be nice to have). Price-wise, I was trying to keep it as low as possible and originally thought of just getting a regular Ryzen 4500u laptop with integrated graphics, assuming it would be enough. I stumbled upon this open box Acer with an i5-9300h and GTX 1650 card.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ac ... x/14672707

This is my thesis as to why it's a decent deal (at least for me):

- I figured the GTX 1650 card was sufficient for his needs, and much better than the RTX 1050 I've seen in the same price range (without speaking of integrated graphics). It'll buy me a few years before he gets into really graphics-intensive games and then we can build a desktop PC together.

- Price is great for a gaming laptop. Yes, it's Open Box but Best Buy's Certified Open Box are basically as good as new.

- While the 4500u is a significantly more powerful chip than the 9300h, the CPU isn't necessarily the bottleneck in this application with the GTX 1650. Here are some bottleneck calculators with:
- i5-9300h and GTX 1650
- Ryzen 5 3550h and GTX 1650 (there was an Asus TUF laptop with this combo on sale for $750, but sold out)
- Ryzen 5 4600h and GTX 1650 (the current standard, almost $200 more if you get the Asus TUF version for $899)
I don't think you give up much, if anything, as it's mostly the GPU that will bottleneck first.

- Since we won't be upgrading any parts on this laptop (maybe the RAM if warranted), there's no need to future-proof the CPU. One could argue that a more powerful CPU could give him headroom to multitask while keeping FPS up but, well, you know. (shrug) Tight-fisted folk like me can't be choosers.

I was originally angling for that 3550h TUF model (link) , but that was more for aesthetics than anything else.

A few caveats here:

- Bilingual keyboard (we have a spare gaming keyboard he's going to plug in when mostly using as a desktop, so no issue for us)
- screen (apparently mediocre, but that's to be expected in this range. I just look at the price again and I'm good)
- 256gb SSD. I *believe* that there's space to add a second drive, but I'll have to confirm that when I get it.

Here are the full specs: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/m ... .Q5UAA.006

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, but will still hang on to it and wait for BF sales to see if there are other alternatives (or an even better price!).

Anyway, hopefully someone who's looking for an economical gaming laptop for their youngsters will find this a decent deal. Happy shopping everyone!

EDIT: Looks like it's sold out at the moment, but I would keep checking. It was OOS when I originally checked, but came back in stock the next day.
Last edited by Bishop8 on Nov 8th, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
11 replies
Jun 30, 2019
443 posts
616 upvotes
Don't understand the hype of gaming on a laptop
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1849 posts
1415 upvotes
Thanks Op, this will be good for some but prepare for the downvotes.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1880 posts
363 upvotes
toronto
I wouldn't trust the best buy open box certification non sense as I had bad experiences with it.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1849 posts
1415 upvotes
Spiritualx wrote: Don't understand the hype of gaming on a laptop
Don’t understand posting essentially a non-post.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9900 posts
2066 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Only 1 pcie lot for gpu?
Jun 7, 2005
200 posts
36 upvotes
Got one for my kid and pretty happy with it so far. I don't want to spend too much and don't care about future proof. The unit is like new and comes with a soft case too. Gaming laptop is all marketing thing I guess.
BeBe
Sep 6, 2020
22 posts
18 upvotes
Spiritualx wrote: Don't understand the hype of gaming on a laptop
Gaming laptops are good for those who need a combination of power and portability. That much is obvious, but who are they targeting exactly? I'm assuming it's college/university students because there are plenty of reasons they would want one:
  • powerful enough to play modern games at modest resolutions
  • takes up less space in a cramped dorm room
  • can take it on the bus when going back home to your parents (almost every weekend for freshmen)
  • use it in the library when studying
  • take it to class - you'd think it looks silly but lots of students have one, especially in comp-sci
I had a G series MSI gaming laptop as a student and it served me VERY well for all the reasons above. The one here is a bit thick to comfortably use in a lecture, but some will bear it for the benefit of having more power.

You could take the laptop budget and spend it on a desktop + low-end notebook but now you have to make two purchases. Also possible you're not getting the best value on the desktop if you're not building it yourself. People other than students also buy gaming laptops, but it's usually for their own twist on the reasons above. Also marketing.
Last edited by robento on Nov 7th, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 30, 2019
443 posts
616 upvotes
robento wrote: Gaming laptops are good for those who need a combination of power and portability. That much is obvious, but who are they targeting exactly? I'm assuming it's college/university students because there are plenty of reasons they would want one:
  • can take it on the bus when going back home to your parents (almost every weekend for freshmen)
  • take it to class - you'd think it looks silly but lots of students have one, especially in comp-sci
I had a G series MSI gaming laptop as a student and it served me VERY well for all the reasons above. The one here is a bit thick to comfortably use in a lecture, but some will bear it for the benefit of having more power.
Fair enough
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3436 posts
1481 upvotes
Vancouver
robento wrote: Gaming laptops are good for those who need a combination of power and portability. That much is obvious, but who are they targeting exactly? I'm assuming it's college/university students because there are plenty of reasons they would want one:

You could take the laptop budget and spend it on a desktop + low-end notebook but now you have to make two purchases. Also possible you're not getting the best value on the desktop if you're not building it yourself. People other than students also buy gaming laptops, but it's usually for their own twist on the reasons above. Also marketing.
I'd also add, in my case, it being for a 12 year old that also wants to go over to his friend's house to play games together. Yes it's 5lbs, but it's mostly a desktop and doesn't move that often -- but when we need it to move it actually can!