Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

Acer Swift 14" Ultrabook -- Intel i5-8250U, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD ($799)

Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] Acer Swift 14" Ultrabook -- Intel i5-8250U, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD ($799)

- Lightweight: 3.5 lbs, metal case
- Intel Quad Core i5-8250U (8th Generation)
- 8gb ram
- 256gb SSD
- 14" IPS monitor 1920x1080
- WiFi (n/ac), Bluetooth
- 3x USB, 1x HDMI
- Backlit keyboard
- Finger-print reader
- Decent speakers (weak webcam tho)

We were having a conversation about this laptop early in the week, it just went on sale.
Last edited by mofesto on Sep 22nd, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
86 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
mofesto wrote: - Lightweight: 3.5 lbs, metal case
- Intel Quad Core i5-8200U (8th Generation)
- 8gb ram
- 256gb SSD
- 14" IPS monitor 1920x1080
- WiFi (n/ac), Bluetooth
- 3x USB, 1x HDMI
- Backlit keyboard
- Finger-print reader
- Decent webcam & speakers

We were having a conversation about this laptop early in the week, it just went on sale.
Can RAM be added to this unit? How much will this CPU throttle down under full load?

The LCD is not very good according to recent review of an older version.
http://www.ultrabookreview.com/16888-ac ... 52-review/

"Just be aware it comes with a dim, washed out and glossy non-touch screen with an IPS panel, but a pretty crappy one."
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1311 posts
1428 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is a great price for a quad-core CPU laptop.
-
Dec 4, 2009
199 posts
59 upvotes
GVRD
I don't call it hot, warm at the best.

Nothing better than many of the cheaper last gen processor equipped ultrabooks except newest CPU. I wouldn't care too much about CPU for this class laptops, I would rather care more about screen quality and battery life.
"NOTHING HAUNTS US LIKE THE THINGS WE DON'T SAY."

-MITCH ALBOM
Mar 20, 2006
503 posts
106 upvotes
MrMichyo, do you have any examples? I've been looking for something $600-$700 without compromising on screen and disk (and avoiding AMD APUs), and this is the closest that I've seen so far--and it's still $200 off!

BTW, it's the 8250, not the 8200 (which doesn't exist).
Aug 11, 2012
300 posts
564 upvotes
Halifax
Bought this last week for a client ($799 at that time, too). It was painless, quick, and easy to set up.

Removed the bloatware easily through control panel. Of course, with Windows 10, you can refresh the PC and basically start off with fresh.

Tested the USB-C for Power Delivery, as I was hoping to set it up with a dock, but could not get the laptop to charge. Researched online and found similar reports from others. However, there were some claims that only the official Acer USB-C adapter may charge this as it uses some "uncommon" voltage and current combination, which I find ridiculous.
Not to know is bad; not to wish to know is worse. ☕
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
window shopper wrote: Just bought thia today about the same in specs:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/de ... 81502.aspx

So far very happy with it as a laptop/tablet.
Op, posted an ultrabook with a quad-core 8th generation CPU.
insinaty wrote: Bought this last week for a client ($799 at that time, too). It was painless, quick, and easy to set up.

Removed the bloatware easily through control panel. Of course, with Windows 10, you can refresh the PC and basically start off with fresh.

Tested the USB-C for Power Delivery, as I was hoping to set it up with a dock, but could not get the laptop to charge. Researched online and found similar reports from others. However, there were some claims that only the official Acer USB-C adapter may charge this as it uses some "uncommon" voltage and current combination, which I find ridiculous.
How is the LCD quality? Is the fan running all the time and how loud is it?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
tk1000 wrote: How is the LCD quality? Is the fan running all the time and how loud is it?
I tested the screen at Best Buy and Costco, colors and brightness looked good to me.

Not sure about fan noise, couldn't really tell at Best Buy.

[Edit:] Using it at home now, I don't hear the fan at all, but maybe because I'm running in energy saver mode (instead of performance).

[Edit:] Sometimes when switching apps it does a weird kerning thing before the image focuses. Maybe I can disable animation in Windows to stop that.

[Edit:] The keyboard is really nice, the keys are really soft. I could see myself programming on this without needing an external full size keyboard (I used to do that with my old laptop).
Last edited by mofesto on Sep 22nd, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
rseiler wrote: MrMichyo, do you have any examples? I've been looking for something $600-$700 without compromising on screen and disk (and avoiding AMD APUs), and this is the closest that I've seen so far--and it's still $200 off!

BTW, it's the 8250, not the 8200 (which doesn't exist).
It might be.

If it's an i5-8250U its performance figures are slightly below to those of a i5-7300HQ, with 1/3rd of its power consumption, according to this article: Intel Core i5-8250U (Kaby Lake-R, 8th generation) benchmarks and early impressions

Intel Core i5-8250U specs (summary) @ notebookcheck

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Banned
Sep 19, 2017
5 posts
12 upvotes
I remember Amazon had similar one for $599 on Aug, but the CPU is 7th gen
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1261 posts
602 upvotes
dontgiveajack wrote: Pretty good specs. How's the warranty process for Acer?
Had a warranty issue with an Acer unit in June. Had to be shipped to Toronto for repair. As it was within a short time from purchase, they paid shipping. Took a couple of weeks to get it back.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2638 posts
1167 upvotes
What I find interesting is that all these U-series CPU's maybe super power efficient, but not even the most current gen U series i7s can beat a 2nd gen i7 2630qm.
Mar 20, 2006
503 posts
106 upvotes
messi2017 wrote: I remember Amazon had similar one for $599 on Aug, but the CPU is 7th gen
Probably not 1080p though, right? Or maybe not SSD. Or 4GB. Or a refurb. It's hard to believe that the only major diff was the CPU.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
messi2017 wrote: I remember Amazon had similar one for $599 on Aug, but the CPU is 7th gen
I seriously doubt that. I looked at everything in Best Buy, London Drugs, and Costco. Anything with a 250gb SSD, 1080p was $999 or more. This was one of the few computers under $1000. Probably one of the only ones with a backlit keyboard too.

Supposedly in April 2017, Best Buy had the Asus Zenbook with similar specs on sale for $799. Today that computer is $999 again though.
Sep 9, 2007
159 posts
144 upvotes
Discrete gpu and it was a deal

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)