Acer ZeroFrame 28" 4K IPS Monitor - $350 - Exp May 28

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 8:49 am
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
qrich4three wrote: I don't know much about monitors. Is this overkill for a work screen (primarily spreadsheet work)? If I got 2 of these, is this easy to set up in a dual monitor setup? Thanks in advance and apologies for the noob questions.
it's absolutely great for working, most people here seem to care about gaming, but this kind of monitor is ideal for spreadsheets and documents. I have a Dell one like this for work and text is so sharp. You can get really close to the screen and can barely see the pixels.
<insert sig>
Jun 15, 2010
396 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
cy wrote: Nope, not at all. In any case, these mainstream 4K IPS displays are mostly used as a work display rather than a gaming display. To answer your questions:
1) With 4k, you will get to see more of the spreadsheets (smaller fonts) since there are a lot more pixels in the same space compare to FHD or QHD panels. It actually works in your favour if you are able to deal with smaller sized fonts. Otherwise, you can scale the display up and get sharper looking fonts
2) It's easy to set them up, mostly it's plug and play. Unless you are running an older version of Windows, then you might need to enable it in the settings. What I would be more concerned about is the power of your computer/laptop, whether it has sufficient power to run these without constantly running it hot
Thanks, I'm trying to get some monitors for my WFH setup. Is this one good value? My work laptop is a Lenovo T470. Would that work?
[OP]
Mar 26, 2005
130 posts
48 upvotes
qrich4three wrote: Thanks, I'm trying to get some monitors for my WFH setup. Is this one good value? My work laptop is a Lenovo T470. Would that work?
I wouldn't recommend a 4K monitor for your work laptop as the max resolution for the T430 is 2560x1600

But if you had a laptop or computer to support it--It's a good buy. Today was my first day working with it and I love screen real-estate as I usually need 3-4 separate windows open at the same time to cross-reference against each other.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
qrich4three wrote: Thanks, I'm trying to get some monitors for my WFH setup. Is this one good value? My work laptop is a Lenovo T470. Would that work?
yeah, that might be a problem. I'm pretty sure those older laptops might be limited to 2560x1600. This monitor is 3840x2160
<insert sig>
Oct 1, 2017
308 posts
410 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: Agreed. Even Doom Eternal can run 4K Nightmare on a 2080 Ti at over 60 FPS, not quite 120 but getting close. Control is pretty close with DLSS 2.0 too.
IDTech stuff doesn’t count, John Carmack is a time traveling space wizard who can do impossible levels of optimization.
Jun 15, 2010
396 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
genham17 wrote: I wouldn't recommend a 4K monitor for your work laptop as the max resolution for the T430 is 2560x1600

But if you had a laptop or computer to support it--It's a good buy. Today was my first day working with it and I love screen real-estate as I usually need 3-4 separate windows open at the same time to cross-reference against each other.
Sorry, I had a stealth edit. I thought I was quick enough, but my laptop is a T470. Would that cut it?
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10514 posts
5140 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for one with HDMI 2.0 support, for the upcoming PS5, or even PS4 Pro
sid8tive wrote: Bought the Lenovo L28u-30 on the MS store a few days ago. 4k, 60Hz, 4ms, FreeSync, IPS. Same price of $350 (less 9% using XB Costco GCs). Loving the monitor. If this is similar to that, it's a good deal imo.
Looks like price is even lower, $341.05... might be a better deal than this Acer tbh
zobblplatz wrote: IDTech stuff doesn’t count, John Carmack is a time traveling space wizard who can do impossible levels of optimization.
John Carmack doesn't even work at ID, he had nothing to do with Doom Eternal
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
qrich4three wrote: Sorry, I had a stealth edit. I thought I was quick enough, but my laptop is a T470. Would that cut it?
Quickly checked and it looks like it will support ONE of these monitors (4k60), but not sure if it will handle two of them @60Hz. If you want two for sure, might be easier to go with a non-4K display
<insert sig>
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7191 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
qrich4three wrote: Sorry, I had a stealth edit. I thought I was quick enough, but my laptop is a T470. Would that cut it?
If your laptop has display port which it probably does then it will work, if all it has is HDMI then you need to check the specs and make sure it is HDMI 2.0 compliant. I have a T530, and it has display port and works with 4k monitors.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
toalan wrote: If your laptop has display port which it probably does then it will work, if all it has is HDMI then you need to check the specs and make sure it is HDMI 2.0 compliant. I have a T530, and it has display port and works with 4k monitors.
he said he wanted two monitors:

I found this
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T ... -p/3639273
The T470, T570 and T470s support only one DP 1.2 port and a single DP port has bandwidth only up to 1 x 4k @ 60Hz or 2 x 4k @ 30Hz through daisy chaining.
If he got the right dock, it could do 2 [email protected]

One of these monitors would be absolutely fine
Last edited by warpdrive on May 26th, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<insert sig>
Nov 11, 2003
482 posts
344 upvotes
Vancouver
This monitor looks pretty thick 2.6”. Are most 4k monitors thicker than regular HD ones ?

Normally I don’t really care, but for wall mounting I prefer thinner. Great deal thou !
Jun 15, 2010
396 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: he said he wanted two monitors:

I found this

Thanks for everyone's help. I don't have to get 2, it was just a thought. I'll get a single one and use my laptop screen as the secondary screen. Thanks again!
Oct 1, 2017
308 posts
410 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote: I'm looking for one with HDMI 2.0 support, for the upcoming PS5, or even PS4 Pro

Looks like price is even lower, $341.05... might be a better deal than this Acer tbh

John Carmack doesn't even work at ID, he had nothing to do with Doom Eternal
No, but his work is definitely there. Unless you think ID threw everything out and started from absolute scratch. Anything that man has touched has been otherworldly optimized.
Last edited by zobblplatz on May 26th, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7191 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: he said he wanted two monitors:

I found this

My bad, you are right.

The only sure thing is that he can support a single 4k @60hz through display port. Outside of that then it will likely involve compromises like running at 30hz which is basically waterboarding for your eyes.

He is probably currently using his laptop 1080p screen, a single 4k monitor is already a huge upgrade, aiming for 2 4k monitors is rather ambitious.
Sep 21, 2019
625 posts
438 upvotes
Gaming using 60hz, how old is this monitor?
Jun 15, 2010
396 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
toalan wrote: My bad, you are right.

The only sure thing is that he can support a single 4k @60hz through display port. Outside of that then it will likely involve compromises like running at 30hz which is basically waterboarding for your eyes.

He is probably currently using his laptop 1080p screen, a single 4k monitor is already a huge upgrade, aiming for 2 4k monitors is rather ambitious.
Thanks. I didn't know having 2 of these would be taxing. Like you said, any monitor is an upgrade for me over none. I always have a monitor in the office and have been craving one especially now that it seems like we're in a WFH state for a while.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7191 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
qrich4three wrote: Thanks. I didn't know having 2 of these would be taxing. Like you said, any monitor is an upgrade for me over none. I always have a monitor in the office and have been craving one especially now that it seems like we're in a WFH state for a while.
Even if your laptop could fully support more than one 4k monitor, it would be wise just to get one. Depending on your desk, how you sit and eyesight; 28 inches might be a perfect size for a 4k monitor or it could be a very bad size. You won't know until you use it.

I have a 32 inch 4k monitor and it works ok, for me the perfect size would likely be 34-36 inches but either they are not available or they are too expensive.

In anycase, a single 4k monitor at any size is still a monumental improvement in terms of productivity vs 1440p/1080p.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16932 posts
8996 upvotes
Ottawa
qrich4three wrote: Thanks. I didn't know having 2 of these would be taxing. Like you said, any monitor is an upgrade for me over none. I always have a monitor in the office and have been craving one especially now that it seems like we're in a WFH state for a while.
with a laptop, it will be a huge improvement with just one monitor. You have this monitor as primary display, and then your laptop as auxiliary (emails, chats going, youtube/music). You can drag one app from one screen to another easily enough if you want to concentrate on one thing.

At work, I actually have 3 - 24" monitors but at home, I have one main monitor and my laptop. It's good enough. One other thing you might consider as well is a monitor arm, so you can position this monitor easily depending on what you are doing at your desk. To me, that's the ideal setup. A monitor on a monitor arm, which you can swing around and reposition, and then a laptop off to the side. Or you can position your laptop just underneath your monitor and raise your monitor easily using the arm.

Oh, I also use a separate keyboard and mouse instead of just a laptop keyboard

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-monitor-arms/
laptop-stands-monitor-arm-0030-630.jpg
<insert sig>
Nov 10, 2002
351 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Been in the market for a 4K monitor, I've had my eye on this one https://www.staples.ca/products/2935575 ... or-u2790vq and been waiting for a sale or for a staples coupon. Any one done any comparisons between this Acer monitor vs the AOC, or even the Lenovo if it comes back in stock?

Mainly using it for photography and general web browsing. No games (or minimal) games.

I'd love to here your opinions.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9813 posts
1286 upvotes
GTA
Too bad it is a gray bezel. Would have probably bought it black. Have a fairly old Dell monitor at home (looks like came out in 2005 so it is at least 10 years old. Assuming closer to the 15).
Bought a 32" monitor to replace it but now I use that as my 2nd monitor because sometimes I run Nvidia shield on it or sometimes use as 2nd monitor (with an HDMI splitter).