Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

AfterShokz Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones (limited colours) - Air ($69.99), Aeropex ($109.99)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2022 11:43 pm
Apr 21, 2013
164 posts
42 upvotes
These maybe stupid questions so please avoid pulling out the torches and pitchforks. Winking Face

Based on the tech how would it sound comparing to say airpods or something equivalent?

Also if you have a headaches, would something like this be avoided?

Last but not least, I assume this tech doesn't produce much bass assuming your head would be vibrating like a dildo with force induction. No?

Thanks for the replies.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
dazz wrote: Any sound leakage when it's quiet?
I am trying to figure out what to use for the gym. I use regular bluetooth wireless earbuds,but they fall out and need to be pushed into my ear every 20 minutes( tried many plus same with any earphones I ever worn in my life...). Earwax at times also another thing.
I am trying to see if there's an alternative.
Also, I like to listen to audio books from my phone, yet have to use earphones as I can't hear anything if I roll the windows or highway. Earbuds solve it,but then I can't hear anything else.
Hardly if any leakage. Maybe if your SO was right beside you cheek2cheek, he/she may get some idea of what your listening but otherwise, its a very personal experience.

As mentioned, really bad for music but really good for speech ie. audiobooks. However loud ambient noise will drown it out as its an open concept (which btw is one of the main selling feature, the other is lightweight with supreme comfort). Great for the gym as it stays on really well. One would have to deliberately remove them as I doubt they'd fall out by themselves no matter the activity.

Honestly its an amazing set of headphones provided one is fine with its limitations ie. anything but music & or bodyshaking thunder.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Jinseng wrote: These maybe stupid questions so please avoid pulling out the torches and pitchforks. Winking Face

Based on the tech how would it sound comparing to say airpods or something equivalent?

Last but not least, I assume this tech doesn't produce much bass assuming your head would be vibrating like a dildo with force induction. No?

Thanks for the replies.
AirPods will sound much better.'
Unsure if headache would be an issue, really no different than any sound devices.
Bass sort of sucks on these.

I have the AfterShokz from about 3 or 4 years ago. I use then when doing heavy-duty work (heavy equipment or loud equipment). Earplugs in, AfterShokz positioned. Sound is good enough. No need to turn them up loud either. Very little bleeding of sound.

They'd also work if you need to have your ear open because you're jogging or something. I find that open ear is slightly better sounding + plus you get full outside sound.

Major con is the positioning - you need to fiddle to get the right fit. Perhaps the newer models are better.
Why can't we all just get along?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
I have the OpenRun on trial right now. How does the Aeropex compare to it? Is it just the MicroUSB?

I dont mind downgrading a bit to save $100

These are A+ for runners. They stay in place. As Ive gotten used to listening to podcasts on my long runs it's made it very tolerable.
Oct 14, 2010
55 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
spiritsBB wrote: Just so everyone know - don't give this as gift to older people who don't hear well.

It vibrates your eardrum, and older people will turn it up real loud just to hear it - inadvertently damaging their hearing even more.

I would even suggest to not ever turn its volume above 70% regardless of your age.

If you find the volume is insufficient at 70% or under, use earplugs instead of turning it louder.
Pingu99 wrote: That doesn't sound right. The Shokz website says,

"Traditional headphones send sound through your eardrums. Bone conduction headphones send sound through the bones of your skull. Instead of speakers, AfterShokz headphones have transducers that send vibrations through your cheekbones to your cochleas, so your eardrums are free to take in your surroundings."
Sgt_Strider wrote: So what are the facts?

Cells in the cochlea convert vibrations into electrical signals that your brain translates into sounds.
Journey of Sound to the Brain

Loud noise can result in hearing loss. This hearing loss is a result of damage to the cells in the cochlea that generate the electrical signals.
Noise-induced Hearing Loss

So, just because these transmit sound to your cochlea through your cheekbones it doesn't mean they can't cause hearing damage.
Feb 11, 2007
252 posts
63 upvotes
Just a data point on the product.

i've had a few pairs of these, and have broken them a few times in the same way (torn around the ear piece area). this area is quite thin and delicate. each time, i had the headphones jammed in my pocket or something and crushed them in a way that made them break. so my only comment would be that you should be handle these headphones carefully to avoid this issue.

i love them for running as it keeps my ears free, they dont slip due to sweat and sound is "good enough" for that use case.

will continue to buy them, just need to be more careful!

the air's seem like a pretty good deal!
Jan 8, 2007
587 posts
249 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the OpenMove set from Costco for $69.99. I love them because I can hear my calls plus my surroundings. While in the gym, it's awesome to listen to music plus be able to hear if people need help or simply ask a question. You can work out with a friend, hold a conversation, and have music playing.

Most times I forget I have them on they're so comfortable.
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Banned
Mar 21, 2022
80 posts
85 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: I have the OpenRun on trial right now. How does the Aeropex compare to it? Is it just the MicroUSB?

I dont mind downgrading a bit to save $100

These are A+ for runners. They stay in place. As Ive gotten used to listening to podcasts on my long runs it's made it very tolerable.
Open run is upgraded version (now has quick charge) of Aeropex and uses a proprietary cable. It also retails for $170 but was on sale for $145 at bestbuy and elsewhere last week.

Open run pro retails at $230 and is supposed to have better bass.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
Jinseng wrote: These maybe stupid questions so please avoid pulling out the torches and pitchforks. Winking Face

Thanks for the replies.
I have no issues with these and the other hand my wife who does get the occasional head ache tried these on and couldn't take them, got a headache.
Apr 25, 2016
240 posts
329 upvotes
taxland
was going to buy to try but return policy is doesn't allow this..
Images
  • bb-return-Capture.PNG
Dec 12, 2012
483 posts
812 upvotes
Canada
7things wrote: was going to buy to try but return policy is doesn't allow this..
They will do store credit for you if opened. I am sure you can find something else to spend it on down the road :)
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
Frugality23 wrote: Open run is upgraded version (now has quick charge) of Aeropex and uses a proprietary cable. It also retails for $170 but was on sale for $145 at bestbuy and elsewhere last week.

Hmm, not sure if $100 is worth the quick charge. Think I have a decision to make here.
Mar 1, 2011
452 posts
1126 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Picked up the Air from the local BB. Pleasantly surprised bone conduction works reasonably well at low to medium volume. Anything more, the sound distorts. Works well in the office as you can hear the music and surrounding noise. I then tried at the gym and it got a fail. With a medium volume setting, you could barely hear any musicon the treadmill. Even off the treadmill, there is too much noise with the clanking of free weights, treadmills, etc. I'm going to stick with my noise isolating Buds plus.

If you have the right use case, it has a place. That place for me is in the office or at home. Having the ability to hear your surroundings while listening to music/podcasts/etc works very well. I was a skeptic and now a believer. While the price was good from BB for $70, I would recommend buying the newer version for $80 at Costco for the usb-c connector vs the Air with micro-usb.

Overall, I'm happy.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2017
1116 posts
2114 upvotes
Vancouver
j0yb0y wrote: I always sing the praises of these as I have ear wax issues. The aeropex were a lifesaver when we went remote, and I eventually picked up the OpenComm for the boom mic. The mic on the aeropex is good except in some challenging situations then all of a sudden it is bad.

The aeropex are great for running as you can hear everything assuming they’re not too loud, this can also be a problem with noisy traffic and wet pavement is also challenging.

I dropped them a couple of times and the transducers separated making them rattle. They still worked but especially for the repeated strikes of running it was annoying. The two year warranty replacements took some weeks to arrive but are going great and now I know to be careful.

You can multipair although I’ve had to disconnect my watch sometimes as it would dominate the connection occasionally. The beeps are loud and the mute beeps are too loud on the opencomm, not sure on the aeropex.

Less relevant now, the aeropex would hold my ask and my glasses on well. I could tuck my glasses arms on the inside of the headset and the mask would be attached well to the headset. Removing them however was an order of operations challenge. Mask then headset or if you were inside mask from headset to ears then remove headset.

I haven’t tried the new Shokz for comparison but don’t expect to for years.
Was gonna ask about glasses compatibility, thanks for the info!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
Frugality23 wrote: Open run is upgraded version (now has quick charge) of Aeropex and uses a proprietary cable. It also retails for $170 but was on sale for $145 at bestbuy and elsewhere last week.

I get the issue with proprietary charging cables but the Aeropex does come with 2 so 1 for home & other for work. I also love that its magnetic which snaps in only 1 way & locks in pretty tight. No more poking around for sure so if it has to be proprietary, this is the best execution of it.

TBH I'm quite curious about the new Openrun Pro & its supposed improved bass. Music is the only flaw of this device & if that can be improved significantly, I'd pay the $200+ for it. The design the fit the lightness & the privacy with full ambient sitware is the way to go. There is no fatigue wearing this unlike every other headphones &or inears. Plus I hear the Openrun Pros have a shorter headband which allows for a tighter fit so its even viable for in bed usage
Mar 1, 2011
452 posts
1126 upvotes
Fraser Valley
RedFlagCrake wrote: Was gonna ask about glasses compatibility, thanks for the info!

I wear glasses 50% of the time as I also wear contacts and can report they work perfectly fine with glasses. In fact, the whole Aftershokz headset is very lightweight, stays put and very comfortable.

I did try the Air with an MS-Teams calls and the participants did say the sound is clear so it gets another checkmark.

Again, I'm quite surprised at the performance.

The newer model is $79.99 at Costco. If I had known this was $10 more, would have gone with the newer Costco one as it has the USB-C connector. The mini-usb for this model is a PIA.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 065338.png
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1833 posts
2707 upvotes
Other Side of Tracks
These Airs are normally $160 or something and are the model up from the Costco ones which are the lower end ones that normally sell for $99!

TBH these micro usb ones for $69 are better cause you can use these magnetic adapters from Amazon that you just permanently leave on, fits perfectly! 1 cable many devices!
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06ZZHNLY3

Anyways I stocked up!

I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
l1197493 wrote: These Airs are normally $160 or something and are the model up from the Costco ones which are the lower end ones that normally sell for $99!

TBH these micro usb ones for $69 are better cause you can use these magnetic adapters from Amazon that you just permanently leave on, fits perfectly! 1 cable many devices!
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06ZZHNLY3

Anyways I stocked up!

Magnetic adapters on AliExpress also come in USB c variants
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1833 posts
2707 upvotes
Other Side of Tracks
JCCRFD wrote: Magnetic adapters on AliExpress also come in USB c variants
The usb c is a lower end model - "OpenMove", they were $59 at costco
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... 9-2508291/

The one the OP posted with micro usb is better, even used on ebay they are around $80! That's why I stocked up on them!
I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)