Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Airthings Wave 2 Wireless Radon Gas Detector, $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 11:28 am
Sep 26, 2015
544 posts
271 upvotes
dirtmover wrote: Interesting that the rough in goes toward the center. I see plenty pics of installations at a perimeter wall or even at a corner but this placement never made much sense to me apart from making venting through a wall easier.
I believe the piping terminates closer to the center of the home so the vacuum can suck up air from a larger area below the home. If the vacuum was just in one corner, it would likely have a harder time sucking up air from a corner on the opposite side of the house. This is one of the diagnostics they run, to ensure wherever the fan is placed, it will suck air from the farthest corners of the home.
Apr 2, 2009
266 posts
285 upvotes
vancouver
dirtmover wrote: Interesting that the rough in goes toward the center. I see plenty pics of installations at a perimeter wall or even at a corner but this placement never made much sense to me apart from making venting through a wall easier.
Building code for new construction (In BC, other provinces probably same) requires a min. 4" continuous non-crushed gravel below the basement or crawl slab, and a 4" PVC pipe that terminates somewhere in that gravel (not all regions require it to terminate in the approx center of the slab since the gravel is continuous anyway). There's a lot of variables in a retrofit situation - key being age of home, but terminating in the center of the slab would be more effective in this scenario since there's likely little to no gravel and possibly no vapour barrier so it will pull more evenly from the extents of the foundation.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4107 posts
1374 upvotes
WFH
baudfather wrote: Building code for new construction (In BC, other provinces probably same) requires a min. 4" continuous non-crushed gravel below the basement or crawl slab, and a 4" PVC pipe that terminates somewhere in that gravel (not all regions require it to terminate in the approx center of the slab since the gravel is continuous anyway). There's a lot of variables in a retrofit situation - key being age of home, but terminating in the center of the slab would be more effective in this scenario since there's likely little to no gravel and possibly no vapour barrier so it will pull more evenly from the extents of the foundation.
Ah yes, I was thinking more retrofit. I'm not sure how effectively my slab is sealed at the perimeter and want to avoid removing drywall if at all possible so I suspect extracting from closet to the center is likely going to be most effective. First things first though, I need to seal the sump.