Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy Amazon

Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB External SSD $279

Jul 9, 2019
733 posts
2692 upvotes

Samsung Portable SSD T5 2TB External SSD $279

Deal Link:
Price:
$279
Savings:
$45
Retailer:
Best Buy Amazon
Launched around $1000 in 2017, was around $380 for majority of the time.

Since then price kept falling.

Half the price of faster T7 or Sandisk Extreme Pro latest gen.

Still a super fast SSD at 540mbps+ read and write speeds. Unless you have a 10Gbps USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 connector and do 4k video editing right off SSD then you are just throwing away money at something (T7 or Extreme Pro) which you are never utilizing.

Thread Summary
Upgrading your storage? Take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best SSDs for your devices!
12 replies
Dec 29, 2013
318 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve been using it as an external drive for my PS5👌🏻
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
what form factor is inside? is it nvme and whats dimensions?
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$0 4GB eSIM data only plan
$1 voip backup line
Oct 15, 2006
183 posts
41 upvotes
Richmond
"The teardown of the 2TB version shows the ASMedia ASM235CM bridge chip on the board with the Type-C connector. Attached to the board is a mSATA device with four flash packages, a SSD controller, and a single DRAM package. The four flash packages all carry the K9DUGB8H1A tag, while the controller is the standard MGX one used in the 850 EVO series (S4LN062X01). The DRAM part number is K4E8E164EB-SGCF 8Gbit package, pointing to 1GB of LPDDR3 (the same as the Portable SSD T3 2TB version). The mSATA segment of the Portable SSD T5 2TB is essentially the same as that of the Portable SSD T3 2TB, except for the four flash packages.

The 500GB teardown was similar to the 2TB version. The only difference was in the mSATA card. Instead of four, we have only two flash packages. The part number is also different (K9OMGY8H5A) since we only need 250GB per package, and that can be achieved with just half the number of dies that need to be in the package of the 2TB version. The DRAM part number (K4E4E16-4EESGCE) indicates 512MB of LPDDR3. Overall, it is again similar to the 500GB 850 EVO, except for the flash packages.

The other side of the mSATA PCB, despite having no flash packages, is protected by a thermal pad between the board and the internal plastic frame."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11719/sa ... -in-retail

so uh... not going into something like Steam Deck haha
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2016
1918 posts
1389 upvotes
GTA
ddr0531 wrote: "The teardown of the 2TB version shows the ASMedia ASM235CM bridge chip on the board with the Type-C connector. Attached to the board is a mSATA device with four flash packages, a SSD controller, and a single DRAM package. The four flash packages all carry the K9DUGB8H1A tag, while the controller is the standard MGX one used in the 850 EVO series (S4LN062X01). The DRAM part number is K4E8E164EB-SGCF 8Gbit package, pointing to 1GB of LPDDR3 (the same as the Portable SSD T3 2TB version). The mSATA segment of the Portable SSD T5 2TB is essentially the same as that of the Portable SSD T3 2TB, except for the four flash packages.

The 500GB teardown was similar to the 2TB version. The only difference was in the mSATA card. Instead of four, we have only two flash packages. The part number is also different (K9OMGY8H5A) since we only need 250GB per package, and that can be achieved with just half the number of dies that need to be in the package of the 2TB version. The DRAM part number (K4E4E16-4EESGCE) indicates 512MB of LPDDR3. Overall, it is again similar to the 500GB 850 EVO, except for the flash packages.

The other side of the mSATA PCB, despite having no flash packages, is protected by a thermal pad between the board and the internal plastic frame."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11719/sa ... -in-retail

so uh... not going into something like Steam Deck haha
you read my mind lol!
Pixel 6a combo -
$8 talk text PM plan
$0 4GB eSIM data only plan
$1 voip backup line
Mar 23, 2012
110 posts
71 upvotes
Canada
Good price, but lower before
No time machine, for reference only
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1500 posts
2329 upvotes
savecash wrote: Good price, but lower before
Dang, that 2tb for $189.99 from MS store is a steal. This is a good stopgap until Sony allows the internal slot to be activated. 2TB a good size too. You cannot play PS5 games off it, but storing PS4 ones will still allow you super fast loading, and keep the internal storage for PS5. Or for Xbox, this is great to keep your non X/S enhanced games on. $279 not that great of a price though with how fast SSD prices are plummeting and this is older tech too mSATA. The T7 I think uses M.2 Nvme.

I've been debating whether or not buying a 2TB 980 Pro, SN850, or Sabrent Rocket 4.0 and using an enclosure a better solution. Right now, I have 4tb HDD each on my Series X and PS5 and I don't jump too much between games where waiting to transfer is a hassle. But would be nice to just switch my extensive libraries to SSD only now.
Oct 15, 2006
183 posts
41 upvotes
Richmond
Harold91 wrote: Dang, that 2tb for $189.99 from MS store is a steal. This is a good stopgap until Sony allows the internal slot to be activated. 2TB a good size too. You cannot play PS5 games off it, but storing PS4 ones will still allow you super fast loading, and keep the internal storage for PS5. Or for Xbox, this is great to keep your non X/S enhanced games on. $279 not that great of a price though with how fast SSD prices are plummeting and this is older tech too mSATA. The T7 I think uses M.2 Nvme.

I've been debating whether or not buying a 2TB 980 Pro, SN850, or Sabrent Rocket 4.0 and using an enclosure a better solution. Right now, I have 4tb HDD each on my Series X and PS5 and I don't jump too much between games where waiting to transfer is a hassle. But would be nice to just switch my extensive libraries to SSD only now.
great drives if you have other uses for them later on ... I think PS5 maxes out at 10gbps for its USB so they'd be overkill. And using them this way now and later inside is kind of a gamble. Sony reportedly will announce the compatibility specs this summer which is soon.

One thing I hate about the PS5 right now is leaving a lot of ps4 games open in rest mode (on an external drive) will crash the system most of the time. I've even had a ps4 game on external (not open) crash while being updated in rest mode.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
2106 posts
3926 upvotes
Surrey
savecash wrote: Good price, but lower before
omg, looking for deals on time machine
Feb 22, 2017
406 posts
272 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote: what form factor is inside? is it nvme and whats dimensions?

its MSATA
I know cause when it got released it was the only way to get a Samsung 2TB (or any 2TB) mSATA and I shucked mine to put into my 2012 rmbp with a sintech adapter.

for reference all T5 and T7's are MSATA (the T7 just has a faster SATA to usb inferface)
the X5 series is m.2 NVMe
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4653 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
Kwirky wrote: You can store them on USB, but not play them from USB. Having a fast drive like this one would move the games to/from in the least amount of time.

https://screenrant.com/ps5-external-har ... ore-games/
That is a great point. Much better than redownloading or reinstalling. Granted, this is a pretty pricey way to park your games. Hopefully sometime over the next year they enable the M.2 port inside the PS5 and then we'll have user upgradeable storage. IT would be so nice popping in a 1TB NVMe drive into the PS5 and having about 1.5/1.6 TB of storage to play games :).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)