[Best Buy] Apple TV (4k - 32gb) Open Box $149.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2019 6:14 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1532 posts
353 upvotes
GTA
I missed the costco deal for the same price way back when. Finally decided to buy one. Thanks OP.
Apr 13, 2005
300 posts
95 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote: Why this device over the Nvidia Shield? The price is right, but other than that...?
Not a huge fan of Apple, but for this price, it's a great buy for a very good product. You'll find that Apple TV has the richest app selection from official channels and is usually the first to get app support for newer technologies like Dolby Atmos. If you're not into using it for things like illegal IPTV and don't have any time/patience to tinker, this is a good investment.

That said - I still use my Xiaomi mi box's I got for ~50 bucks around Christmas time (sorry, no time machine Grinning Face). It's no shield or Apple TV, but it gets the job done for my needs.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2032 posts
439 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
I bought a refurb appletv4 from bestbuy a couple years ago. I mainly bought to be a 3rd receiver for the bell fibe tv i had at the time. I got the 4k version maybe a year and a half ago. They are the only two apple devices i own but they do the job well. For anyone with bell its a much better alternative to paying for other bell receiver boxes and they let you play any content that youve dvr'ed over the last 30 days.
They are simple to use and everyone likes the voice control. I also use it to rent movies off itunes and occasionally buy some deeply discounted movies. (Both 4k deadpool movies for 12 bucks total).
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2786 posts
1326 upvotes
Sudbury
My $0.02 on this **Disclaimer - I am heavily supporting the Apple EcoSystem**

1) We have 3 Apple TVs
2) They work very well and are easy to use (see point 3)
3) My kids have NO issues navigating them (5 & 2) as the remote is super simple.
4) Awesome for showing vacation pictures, etc from your iPhone/iPad/Mac
5) You can jailbreak them as long as you are on V12.1
6) We use them with Apple Music and have family photos display across as a screensaver while music is playing.
7) I wish 4K was supported on their YouTube app though.
Nov 12, 2012
521 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Just as an FYI - Samsung TV's released an Apple TV app that you can download on 2018+ tvs. So you no longer really need apple tv to use apple tv? If someone has more knowledge on this please do explain as i've never owned apple tv.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2431 posts
450 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Why this device over the Nvidia Shield? The price is right, but other than that...?
Viper98 wrote: I am heavily invested in the android ecosystem

This was the first Apple device I have purchased since the 5s

No regrets
I have both a non-pro Shield and AppleTV 4K and with respect to quality and speed the AppleTV is at least as good if not better. I use the Shield more because I like STBemu for IPTV. If I had cable/satellite and all I did had supported iOS apps (i.e. Netflix, Crave, Plex), it would be my preferred box.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1460 posts
898 upvotes
AB
kanewtz wrote: My $0.02 on this **Disclaimer - I am heavily supporting the Apple EcoSystem**

1) We have 3 Apple TVs
2) They work very well and are easy to use (see point 3)
3) My kids have NO issues navigating them (5 & 2) as the remote is super simple.
4) Awesome for showing vacation pictures, etc from your iPhone/iPad/Mac
5) You can jailbreak them as long as you are on V12.1
6) We use them with Apple Music and have family photos display across as a screensaver while music is playing.
7) I wish 4K was supported on their YouTube app though.
#7 is pretty annoying. I'm using LG C7 built-in youtube app for consuming 4k content.
Dec 27, 2005
692 posts
110 upvotes
Alliston, Ontario
extinct1 wrote: Just as an FYI - Samsung TV's released an Apple TV app that you can download on 2018+ tvs. So you no longer really need apple tv to use apple tv? If someone has more knowledge on this please do explain as i've never owned apple tv.
I received the Apple TV update on my 2018 Samsung TV. Basically, the ATV app allows you access to buy/rent movies and to have the TV act as an Airplay2 target.
But you can’t install ATV apps. You would still need an ATV device for that.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1230 posts
409 upvotes
If you invested in the apple eco system then it is good.
Personally, I'm not so have mine to my daughter and swapped it out with a Firestick 4k
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1653 posts
3324 upvotes
Markham
Have both Shield TV and Apple 4K TV. I use a mix of Android, MacOS, Windows 10 and iOS. Personally find myself using Apple 4K TV a lot more than Shield these days...

The interface is easier to use, I prefer Infuse over Plex for accessing my Plex library, Apple 4K has Dolby Vision and getting 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos versions of movies bought from iTunes store is a nice bonus.

Don't personally use or care for Airplay.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16592 posts
3030 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: I received the Apple TV update on my 2018 Samsung TV. Basically, the ATV app allows you access to buy/rent movies and to have the TV act as an Airplay2 target.
But you can’t install ATV apps. You would still need an ATV device for that.
Are you able to playback iTunes purchases or rentals at 4K with HDR/DV and Atmos?

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16592 posts
3030 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: I am heavily invested in the android ecosystem

This was the first Apple device I have purchased since the 5s

No regrets
Link your Google Play Movies, Ultraviolet, and USA iTunes account to Movies Anywhere and movies redeemed in Google Play Canada or Ultraviolet Canada will appear in your USA iTUnes library for playback on the ATV. Unfortunately, Lionsgate and Paramount don't support MoviesAnywhere.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
By far the best streaming device if you don’t mind the lack of grey market apps.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Dave510 wrote: Have both Shield TV and Apple 4K TV. I use a mix of Android, MacOS, Windows 10 and iOS. Personally find myself using Apple 4K TV a lot more than Shield these days...

The interface is easier to use, I prefer Infuse over Plex for accessing my Plex library, Apple 4K has Dolby Vision and getting 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos versions of movies bought from iTunes store is a nice bonus.

Don't personally use or care for Airplay.
Considering they are similar price and the Apple TV has a much faster soc and better support, it’s a no brainer unless you need stuff like kodi.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
baggio4eva wrote: Not a huge fan of Apple, but for this price, it's a great buy for a very good product. You'll find that Apple TV has the richest app selection from official channels and is usually the first to get app support for newer technologies like Dolby Atmos. If you're not into using it for things like illegal IPTV and don't have any time/patience to tinker, this is a good investment.

That said - I still use my Xiaomi mi box's I got for ~50 bucks around Christmas time (sorry, no time machine Grinning Face). It's no shield or Apple TV, but it gets the job done for my needs.
Actually there are good Apple tvs apps for iptv.