Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Apple TV (4k - 32gb) Open Box $149.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2019 6:14 pm
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
If you have an iPad or iPhone it’s petty easy to just go directly to icefilms or similar websites and AirPlay to the tv instead of messing around with kodi. All kodi does is scrape websites that are increasingly trying to block kodi.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15628 posts
2417 upvotes
Toronto
TotalDistinction wrote: I received the Apple TV update on my 2018 Samsung TV. Basically, the ATV app allows you access to buy/rent movies and to have the TV act as an Airplay2 target.
But you can’t install ATV apps. You would still need an ATV device for that.
audit13 wrote: Are you able to playback iTunes purchases or rentals at 4K with HDR/DV and Atmos?

Thanks.
Answered my own question about ATV app on a smart TV. No 4k or HDR per thios review:
Member
Jun 14, 2011
246 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
I'm interested in this only for the screen mirroring from my iPhones. Is it worth it for that? Does anyone know about a possible cheap chromecast like device when the apple tv subscription starts? I guess I'll still be in the return window if Apple mentions something at WWDC.
Member
Dec 5, 2016
227 posts
269 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Why this device over the Nvidia Shield? The price is right, but other than that...?
Zwift.

(technically you can sideload it on the shield but the UI doesn't work with a remote, at least not yet)
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Oracle1729 wrote: I'm interested in this only for the screen mirroring from my iPhones. Is it worth it for that? Does anyone know about a possible cheap chromecast like device when the apple tv subscription starts? I guess I'll still be in the return window if Apple mentions something at WWDC.
Yes, airplay works great.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
TouchMyBox wrote: Zwift.

(technically you can sideload it on the shield but the UI doesn't work with a remote, at least not yet)
That and everything is slicker and the performance is better. Better soc and more optimized OS.
Jr. Member
Jun 7, 2017
104 posts
27 upvotes
dieselboy27 wrote: I missed the costco deal for the same price way back when. Finally decided to buy one. Thanks OP.
Was that open box too?
Jr. Member
Jun 7, 2017
104 posts
27 upvotes
Good price but I've never bought anything open box before. Is there anything I should look out for or be wary of? Worth getting the Geek squad protection plan?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15628 posts
2417 upvotes
Toronto
Batsassin wrote: Good price but I've never bought anything open box before. Is there anything I should look out for or be wary of? Worth getting the Geek squad protection plan?
You would be better off getting the ATV and, if you want, buy the additional year of AppleCare before the original warranty expires.

There are no moving parts so there is very little that can go wrong during the first year of ownership.
[OP]
Member
User avatar
Dec 12, 2012
329 posts
549 upvotes
Batsassin wrote: Good price but I've never bought anything open box before. Is there anything I should look out for or be wary of? Worth getting the Geek squad protection plan?
Solid little machines, honestly I wouldn't worry about extended warranty on it. Very low failure rate.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17326 posts
4073 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! I’ve been waiting forever for this $149.xx price.
Member
User avatar
Jun 3, 2013
439 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Alkoholik wrote: Solid little machines, honestly I wouldn't worry about extended warranty on it. Very low failure rate.
Anecdotal; but I preordered a 4th Gen AppleTV in late October of 2015 and it’s been used probably everyday since without fail. Solid device.

Great deal on the 4K. However I think I sit too far away from my 55” 4K TV for it to actually make a difference in viewing.
Sr. Member
Oct 7, 2017
572 posts
690 upvotes
Seagull21 wrote: Anecdotal; but I preordered a 4th Gen AppleTV in late October of 2015 and it’s been used probably everyday since without fail. Solid device.

Great deal on the 4K. However I think I sit too far away from my 55” 4K TV for it to actually make a difference in viewing.
Have honestly never heard of an Apple TV failing. Make sense since there are no moving parts.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1969 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Why this device over the Nvidia Shield? The price is right, but other than that...?
The Shield is great but the Apple TV has far better support in Canada, and in many ways in the US as well. Unless you really need Kodi or iptv proprietary addons the Apple TV is a better choice, in my opinion. I have both and love the Shield TV, but I must admit to now spending more time on the Apple TV. Can't go wrong with either.

Top