[Best Buy] Apple TV (4k - 32gb) Open Box $149.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2019 6:14 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1969 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
ClarkZuckerberg wrote: Infuse is a fantastic app. If I didn't like the entire Plex ecosystem so much I'd maybe use it more. It's great for 4K files though.
Plex is excellent. Infuse can be used as a PleX client for many things. That keeps it in sync with your other PleX app. MrMC also has that ability.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
766 upvotes
Moncton
Bordak wrote: Plex still can't handle Atmos and TrueHD on the AppleTV, it can't even use passthrough, it just downmixes them to 5.1. Infuse and MrMC are still the go to apps for most 4K videos. How many 4K HDR vids don't have a Atmos or TrueHD soundtrack these days? I can't think of many.
It just muxes to pcm, which is fine for me since I don’t have atmos speakers setup.
Mar 7, 2008
496 posts
126 upvotes
Leask
Been waiting for a ATV4 deal so i can finally implement Apple HomeKit with logics. I couldn't do this with ATV3...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2668 posts
1179 upvotes
Somewhat on topic, but also slightly on topic, Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. Couple of months ago Telus offered me an Apple 4k box 32GB for $5.34 per month for 24 months ($128.16).
I did have to commit to Pik TV and sign a two year contract (yuck). I am on fibre 300/300. and called in to complain about the March 10% price increase on my internet bill.

Retentions lowered the amount back to the original commitment of $53 monthly (roughly) + the Apple box totaling $59 including tax and Pik TV. I only agreed to the two year contract
when retentions agreed to put into my profile no price increase for the two years. If I did any premium channel selections with Pik TV the price would increase and I have no intention of doing this.

This is definitly not for everybody, you must be on fibre. The reps are pushing Pik TV hard.
Sep 4, 2018
64 posts
32 upvotes
Received my Apple TV 4K today but I'm not able to purchase AppleCare plus. It says it was purchased January 2018 on my apple product page. What is the warranty from BB, anyone know?

TIA
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17326 posts
4073 upvotes
Toronto
XtraClip wrote: Received my Apple TV 4K today but I'm not able to purchase AppleCare plus. It says it was purchased January 2018 on my apple product page. What is the warranty from BB, anyone know?
Got mine today. Doesn't just look like open box. It looks pretty well used. Warranty might be a hassle. Mine states the warranty is up October 5, 2019.

EDIT:

I called Apple and they looked into it. They will not cover beyond the included warranty. We need to take this up with Best Buy.
Sep 4, 2018
64 posts
32 upvotes
Mine looks very used and banged up. I’m returning mine for a refund as it’s about 18 months old.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1461 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
I also got mine today. I am happy with the condition, no dings or scratches etc. I’ll have to check the warranty, but honestly I’m not concerned about these units, although this one does have a fan.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17326 posts
4073 upvotes
Toronto
On hold with Best Buy. They have a Fur Elise playing, but it sounds like an 8-bit kids' toy, with no polyphony. Plus it's out of tune.

EDIT:

They looked into it. Best Buy would cover the remaining warranty that Apple doesn't cover.

No thanks. I'm returning this. I buy with my credit card, which adds up to one year MANUFACTURER'S warranty (including for Apple refurbished units). Obviously, Best Buy isn't the manufacturer. Plus, as mentioned, this Apple TV 4K I got looks pretty used. I'd rather just pay $189 for an Apple refurb or else wait for another sale.

dieselboy27 wrote: I also got mine today. I am happy with the condition, no dings or scratches etc. I’ll have to check the warranty, but honestly I’m not concerned about these units, although this one does have a fan.
https://checkcoverage.apple.com
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1461 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
My warranty is until December 2019.

I highly doubt anything will happen, but what do you do after the warranty expires? Will Best Buy honour the warranty later?
Sep 4, 2018
64 posts
32 upvotes
I highly doubt it unless you purchase the extended warranty from geek squad before you checked out at the time of purchase. I can be wrong though!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17326 posts
4073 upvotes
Toronto
dieselboy27 wrote: My warranty is until December 2019.

I highly doubt anything will happen, but what do you do after the warranty expires? Will Best Buy honour the warranty later?
I mentioned it above, but Best Buy CLAIMS it will honour the warranty after the Apple warranty runs out. However:

1. I'm not sure I believe that.
2. Even if it's true, I'm not sure it'd be a smooth process.
3. Even if it's a smooth process, it makes my credit card extended warranty invalid.

Given the above, and the fact the unit looked like crap, it made this seemingly good deal actually a bad one IMO. I'd rather pay $40 more to get a proper pristine Apple refurb, with full Apple warranty, and full credit card extended warranty.

But I'll just wait longer. I already have an older Apple TV and will continue to use that for the time being. It's not as if I usually watch iTunes movies anyway. One of the bigger reasons for me to use Apple TV is to get Dolby Atmos, since I can't get it over ARC from my 4K TV. Also, more extensive TV channel support on Apple TV won't come to Canada for a while, and most of it isn't 4K anyway.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1461 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
I will say that the 4K model does handle apps like iplaytv much better. No more lag when scrolling through the huge list of IPTV channels. Also Hi10 anime files now play without lag or buffering.

Should have bought one ages ago to go with my OLED.
I also doubt apple will update this box for another year or so, as they always seem to let it sit for years.

Overall I’m happy and my 4th gen got demoted to the bedroom tv.
Aug 31, 2010
840 posts
161 upvotes
Victoria
WT Feck Bestbuy, I received the Geek squad certified Apple TV, and it was used abusively. It should be thrown into recycle bin, but
Bestbuy sold it at $150, Fxxx
New Koodo User