Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

ASUS 27" TN LED Gaming Monitor (VP278H-P) - $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 2:02 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2012
1037 posts
372 upvotes
VANCOUVER

[Best Buy] ASUS 27" TN LED Gaming Monitor (VP278H-P) - $199.99

Before anyone says this and that, it's a TN panel, 1080p @ 27", and 60hz refresh (which I really don't understand much about, all I know is the PS4 runs at 60hz max). VESA mountable not that I will be using it.

Don't see this deal in their online flyer.

This fit my console gaming needs. Specs I was looking for were: sub $200 (by 1 penny!); dual HDMI; 27"; and decent input lag (11ms from displaylag.com). Speakers are a bonus although user reviews were right, not great. For me, sound was good enough to play games but not good enough when I watched a movie. Will be buying external speakers.

Pricewise, newegg was selling refurbished ones with one buyer saying it cost $180 shipped to his/her door. This is brand new and pricewise, it was $229.99 during the last Cyber Monday sale so $30 cheaper.

Assembling was pretty simple, just screw in the stand although I must say, it was barely a few turns and doesn't leave me with much sense of security. Wish the height was adjustable but I'm sure I can find something to prop it on (too bad I recycled all my Yellow Pages last week). People criticized the menu but it's not hard to figure out after a few moments of fidgeting.

ASUS Product Page

User Reviews:
Best Buy
Newegg (refurbished)

Youtube Unboxing (not me)
Youtube Review (not me)

Please reply if you have experience with monitor or if I made a mistake in the specs. Hope this helps at least one person.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1837 posts
2038 upvotes
Hmm I really need a 27-42” display in a bedroom for some ps4 pro gaming and video watching. Not sure if this is good enough or should I go with a tv instead? Or splurge and go with a 42” 4k
Wallet safe...
Nov 13, 2016
445 posts
222 upvotes
If you have a PS4 Pro it's a no brainer. 4K monitor or TV with UHD.
Sep 28, 2008
920 posts
1111 upvotes
This would be terrible for PC gaming.
jkam wrote: Hmm I really need a 27-42” display in a bedroom for some ps4 pro gaming and video watching. Not sure if this is good enough or should I go with a tv instead? Or splurge and go with a 42” 4k
27" is tiny for a bedroom.
Jan 8, 2012
78 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you OP. Will be stopping in my local Bestbuy today after dinner to pick one up. Needed a new monitor that is bigger than 24”. And under $200 price point.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4345 posts
444 upvotes
GTA
not to bash the post or anything, but what about this monitor considered "Gaming"
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Medellin wrote: This would be terrible for PC gaming.

27" is tiny for a bedroom.
How you enjoying that McMansion?
Oct 21, 2005
837 posts
812 upvotes
jkam wrote: Hmm I really need a 27-42” display in a bedroom for some ps4 pro gaming and video watching. Not sure if this is good enough or should I go with a tv instead? Or splurge and go with a 42” 4k
42" 4K only makes sense for a computer monitor that you sit 3 feet away from. If you're going to be sitting 8 feet away from it then you wouldn't be able to distinguish 1080p from 4K on a TV that small. For PS4 and movies in a bedroom, just get the cheapest 1080p 40-50" you can find. Resolution won't matter on something that small, it's things like OLED and HDR that will matter. But they're only available on really expensive TVs that are 4K, anyway.
Dec 25, 2012
51 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone with knowledge on monitors comment on this deal [specs/price ratio]? Thanks!
Sep 25, 2011
140 posts
114 upvotes
monitors that are not 144hz / 1ms should not be called 'gaming' monitors.
i got my 144hz / 1ms gaming monitor about 2 years ago and recently i went to my buddy's place and played some fps games on his 60hz monitor and i just couldn't do it.. it's horrible.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2626 posts
2586 upvotes
Vancouver
This is perfect for a cheap 27" monitor. Great for desktop or console use.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2012
1037 posts
372 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Guklagar wrote: Thank you OP. Will be stopping in my local Bestbuy today after dinner to pick one up. Needed a new monitor that is bigger than 24”. And under $200 price point.
You are welcome! Happy to see someone take advantage of this deal.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
The reason hz matters is really for movies and pc gaming. For movies, most movie are 24 frames so 120 makes it a multiple of 5 where as 60 wont divide evenly (reason for the term 3 three two pull down). Its a minor difference but if you see it, you will notice it. For pc gaming, its a huge difference going from 120 or 144 fps to just 60.

For PS4/xbox one x, 60hz is all you need but you might want 4k since most new release will support that. Could even go as far as hdr if you want the best experience. Of course it will cost you more for 4k but if you plan on using your monitor for a few yrs, might be worth considering getting a cheap 4k monitor/tv instead.
Feb 21, 2014
448 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
dlxowhd wrote: monitors that are not 144hz / 1ms should not be called 'gaming' monitors.
i got my 144hz / 1ms gaming monitor about 2 years ago and recently i went to my buddy's place and played some fps games on his 60hz monitor and i just couldn't do it.. it's horrible.
To each their own, in my opinion TN panels shouldn't even be allowed to be sold. Pro-tip though most of these monitors can overclock to 75hz.
Dec 19, 2006
517 posts
465 upvotes
Definitely not a "gaming monitor" in any modern sense (no 4k or 144hz), but yes, a cheap 1080p option if that's all you're looking for. Just be aware that the optimal viewing distance for a 27 inch monitor is around 3-4 feet, not necessarily ideal for a multi-seating living room situation.
Last edited by Thello on Feb 18th, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2303 posts
2322 upvotes
Montreal
TN screen. Serious?
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Jan 8, 2012
78 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Picked it up early today. Looks perfect for the desktop. Nothing too fancy and is big enough. Picture is decent. Again, I needed nothing fancy, as it is just a desktop monitor for daily use. And for under $200($199,lol), it is just the right price for brand new and an Acer. Any problems with it, can be resolved in Mississauga.
Jan 8, 2012
78 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
Flunk wrote: I'm not sure I'd consider a 27" 60hz TN to be hot @ $200. I've seen IPS Freesync monitors at the same size and price. Also 144hz TNs. This is a very average (and old stock) TN monitor, at a fairly normal price.

Oh look, here's one:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 0004-006F4
This is nice. But with $19.99 shipping from the states. Possibly Duty on it. This one I was able to pick up in store today without any hassle.
This monitor is described as a “gaming” monitor but the site itself. That, It truly is not,but it’ll do.
Feb 21, 2014
448 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Guklagar wrote: This is nice. But with $19.99 shipping from the states. Possibly Duty on it. This one I was able to pick up in store today without any hassle.
This monitor is described as a “gaming” monitor but the site itself. That, It truly is not,but it’ll do.
There is no duty if you buy it from newegg, the tax is charged when you pay.

"Gaming" marketing is annoying, the idea you even need 144hz at 1ms to play a game is stupid. It's all marketing

Also i'd take a 60hz IPS panel over a 144hz TN any day of the week, sure it looks smooth but everything else looks terrible.