• Jul 19th, 2020 12:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2725 posts
3498 upvotes
Edmonton

[Best Buy] Asus 28" 4k IPS with full ergonomic stand open box $366

Just ordered this monitor and thought some people would appreciate it, this spec with a full ergonomic stand is not really a thing. At this price. Open box though.

Includes original 3 years parts and labour warranty.
Last edited by Blubbs on Jul 13th, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Summary
Reviews from owners @ Best Buy Canada: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 798/review

Review @ Tom's Hardware: Asus TUF Gaming VG289Q 4K Monitor Review: Ultra HD, Ultra Cheap

Review @ Display Ninja: ASUS VG289Q Review - Budget 4K IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor

Price BNIB @ Best Buy Canada: $430 (OOS)
Price Open Box @ Best Buy Canada: $387
40 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14963 posts
16010 upvotes
It appears nothing at all makes this a gaming monitor, other than slapping on the name 'gaming'.

At the risk of pumping TVs as monitors incessantly. You can get the following great IPS TVs to be used as monitors.

LG 43UN6951 43" 4K IPS TV (2020) - 4K60 w/ Improved RGBW - $398 CAD (Walmart) [See @seafish website for stock.]
LG 43UN7300 43" 4K IPS TV (2020) - 4K60 w/ RGB 4:4:4 - $548 CAD (Walmart)
LG 43UN7000 43" 4K IPS TV (2020) - US Model, Similar to UN7300 - $395 CAD Equivalent Pre-tax Ontario (B&H Video) [Ships from USA]

The last of the three is most intriguing as it only costs what amounts $395 CAD + tax, after taxes, duties, and shipping are rolled in.

Source: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lass.html/
Jul 5, 2008
471 posts
193 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: At the risk of pumping TVs as monitors incessantly. You can get the following great IPS TVs to be used as monitors.
Not sure where 43" TV's work great as a monitor. Maybe if you sit on the couch and mount it on a wall.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14963 posts
16010 upvotes
shadowsteve wrote: Not sure where 43" TV's work great as a monitor. Maybe if you sit on the couch and mount it on a wall.
From 2 years living that life, between 2.5' and 3.0' away on your desk is just fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2725 posts
3498 upvotes
Edmonton
redflagdealsguy wrote: It appears nothing at all makes this a gaming monitor, other than slapping on the name 'gaming'.

At the risk of pumping TVs as monitors incessantly. You can get the following great IPS TVs to be used as monitors.

LG 43UN6951 43" 4K IPS TV (2020) - 4K60 w/ Improved RGBW - $398 CAD (Walmart) [See @seafish website for stock.]
LG 43UN7300 43" 4K IPS TV (2020) - 4K60 w/ RGB 4:4:4 - $548 CAD (Walmart)
LG 43UN7000 43" 4K IPS TV (2020) - US Model, Similar to UN7300 - $395 CAD Equivalent Pre-tax Ontario (B&H Video) [Ships from USA]

The last of the three is most intriguing as it only costs what amounts $395 CAD + tax, after taxes, duties, and shipping are rolled in.

Source: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lass.html/
I agree it's not a gaming monitor re refresh rate etc. However it is a very good price for an IPS productivity monitor of this type with a high quality stand.

I tried your 43" TV recommendation as a monitor and it sucks. It's comically huge and doesn't work well. And viewing angles suck even with IPS. I want my monitor to work like a monitor. They are very different things at the end of the day.

By the way, extra size is straight up bad for you if it creates an unergonomic seating position, which is absolutely the case with something that has the height of a 43" TV.
Last edited by Blubbs on Jul 12th, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14963 posts
16010 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: I agree it's not a gaming monitor re refresh rate etc. However it is a very good price for a productivity monitor of this type with a high quality stand.

I tried your 43" TV recommendation as a monitor and it sucks. It's comically huge and doesn't work well. And viewing angles suck even with IPS. I want my monitor to work like a monitor. They are very different things at the end of the day.
Right now, we have buyers locking in their orders on a 30-day return window between now and Back to School... just in case a better deal arrives.

This might be the go-to game plan for folks looking at a regular sized monitor, or really any electronics purchase.

You've made your preferences known otherwise, so I'll leave it at that (there's a dedicated series of threads on this topic in C&E).
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4411 posts
2792 upvotes
Burnaby
No PIP/PbP, right?
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1347 posts
511 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: From 2 years living that life, between 2.5' and 3.0' away on your desk is just fine.
you must have a large desk. my monitor right now, just guesstimating, is probably at most 1.5' from my face. if I had a desk that's 3' in depth, it would take up half my room space.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1184 posts
202 upvotes
I have this monitor. It's pretty fantastic. In my case, I don't need >60hz and it's great for most games I play. For work and such, what a really awesome picture.
Colours and all that are just amazing.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14963 posts
16010 upvotes
Clement wrote: you must have a large desk. my monitor right now, just guesstimating, is probably at most 1.5' from my face. if I had a desk that's 3' in depth, it would take up half my room space.
I do, yes.

I'm about bigger spaces now, a bigger better life.

I don't live for the cramped 20-something inch monitor in a cubicle life.

I'm at work 7-days, so I'm done compromising.

Not ruling out a 55" / 65" IPS TV as Monitor Wall Mounted so I regain some desk space.
redflagdealsguy wrote: My current setup is a standing desk, no temporary seat support, and soon-to-be a standing treadmill (interrupted by COVID).

My eye-line is perpendicular to the screen, which is elevated from the desk on a rising platform.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jul 13th, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2004
477 posts
76 upvotes
How does this compare to the various 28" UHD at similar price point around $400? I recall there was an Acer previously on sale for like $390 as well brand new?

The open box discount doesn't seem massive on its own.
Jun 25, 2005
581 posts
262 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I do, yes.

Not ruling out a 55" / 65" IPS TV as Monitor Wall Mounted so I regain some desk space.
That’s living it big if you’re going 65”.

I found that 43” didn’t work for my cube life unless you were mixing some TV and console gaming in. I found the sharpness was not great for spreadsheets and reviewing documents. I much preferred the dual 27” or 32” setups for wider workspaces. I found bigger 43” just made things taller and with unusable dead space near the top.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2725 posts
3498 upvotes
Edmonton
redflagdealsguy wrote: I do, yes.

Having a big desk so you can fit a big TV further back instead of a monitor is not living a better life, lol. Unless you have issues with focusing your eyes.

Your desk sounds like a bad use of space unless you are constantly doing a ton of physical document work.

In my many years of home office working I've found the ultra wide aspect ratio is by far the best for ergonomic office productivity. A main reason is ergonomically, your eye level should be at or slightly below the top of the screen. This is pretty much impossible or impracticable with a ginormous 43" screen.

You may be setting yourself up for chronic injury with your setup.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14963 posts
16010 upvotes
monkey_bongo wrote: That’s living it big if you’re going 65”.

I found that 43” didn’t work for my cube life unless you were mixing some TV and console gaming in. I found the sharpness was not great for spreadsheets and reviewing documents. I much preferred the dual 27” or 32” setups for wider workspaces. I found bigger 43” just made things taller and with unusable dead space near the top.
This is a topic of discussion I'm happy to expand on in the C&E forum. I will stop here out of respect to OP.

I've been told by people in the know that I should wait for 8K 55" and 65" to drop in price before making the jump up in size.

I will bump the thread in C&E so we don't thread squat here. I disagree with the gentleman above on ergonomics.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14085 posts
5257 upvotes
Ottawa
Blubbs wrote: I tried your 43" TV recommendation as a monitor and it sucks. It's comically huge and doesn't work well. And viewing angles suck even with IPS. I want my monitor to work like a monitor. They are very different things at the end of the day.

By the way, extra size is straight up bad for you if it creates an unergonomic seating position, which is absolutely the case with something that has the height of a 43" TV.
I also tried out 40" TV and it didn't work at all. It was just too high and wide unless I put the TV back further and it completely screwed up the arrangement of the work space.

I've been doing absolutely everything to fine tune my workspace for good ergonomics,.....tried out a number of different monitor configurations but converged onto a single 32" on a monitor arm which allows me to easily pull and push the monitor back and forth on the desk depending on how dense I want the content displayed.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.