Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 19, 2007
66 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] ASUS 28" 4K Ultra HD 1ms LED Gaming Monitor (MG28UQ) $449.99

Looks like a pretty decent price for a 4k monitor. It's 60hz and a tn panel though.
22 replies
Temp. Banned
Sep 2, 2017
2 posts
23 upvotes
seems good price to me. but TN is better than IPS Panel?
Oct 30, 2015
84 posts
103 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm in the market for a 4K 27" plus, but as a non-gamer I want an IPS display. If you're a gamer this is indeed pretty decent, and probably TN is what you want anyway for the quicker response rate.

If you have seen a decent deal for an IPS, please share.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1874 posts
498 upvotes
toronto
Should these really be called gaming monitors? the few ms is definitely negligible, the hz rate is where it counts these days. I guess it suckers buyers in.
think first, buy later.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21127 posts
8012 upvotes
Socially Distanced
MarcoDeals wrote: I'm in the market for a 4K 27" plus, but as a non-gamer I want an IPS display. If you're a gamer this is indeed pretty decent, and probably TN is what you want anyway for the quicker response rate.

If you have seen a decent deal for an IPS, please share.
I'm waiting for a good sale on the Dell SE2717H. Even regular price is not bad
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jan 13, 2013
87 posts
72 upvotes
AURORA
In terms of monitor, you can't possibly tell between a 1ms and a 5ms response rate. But, for a 60hz vs 120+hz refresh rate, there's a HUGE difference. So yea!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1036 upvotes
Richmond
icyyicee wrote: In terms of monitor, you can't possibly tell between a 1ms and a 5ms response rate. But, for a 60hz vs 120+hz refresh rate, there's a HUGE difference. So yea!
Kind of a silly thing to say. As there are no 4k monitor more than 60hz yet.

Basically, if you want 4k pc gaming, this is the highest refresh rate you will get. As of now.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2007
66 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
ID01 wrote: Kind of a silly thing to say. As there are no 4k monitor more than 60hz yet.

Basically, if you want 4k pc gaming, this is the highest refresh rate you will get. As of now.
Also, I'm pretty sure even a gtx1080 couldn't drive a AAA title at 4k and 120hz. 1440P and 144hz is probably the sweet spot for gaming performance these days. Just thought I'd post this deal for anyone specifically interested in 4k monitors.
May 23, 2003
367 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
angoos wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure even a gtx1080 couldn't drive a AAA title at 4k and 120hz. 1440P and 144hz is probably the sweet spot for gaming performance these days. Just thought I'd post this deal for anyone specifically interested in 4k monitors.
Agreed. Destiny 2 coming out for PC and the demo rig was a dual 1080 to play at 4K (and I assume 60hz?)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1800 posts
339 upvotes
Halifax
Thanks OP, even though the price drop occurred Aug 31st, managed to PM at BB and get 50 bucks back. The monitor is perfect entry into 4K to complement my main 46" TV which is not 4K as I don't plan to buy a new 1 just yet when there is nothing wrong with the old one. Also waiting for HDR prices to go way down.

Works great with the PS4 Pro for gaming as a lot of games I play support 4K at 60 FPS like Fifa, Wipeout Omega Collection, Resogun not to mention Youtube 4K. Also good and vibrant colors for Rocket League, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Battlefield 1 & TitanFall 2 - these games look jaw dropping on this monitor. Love the different modes provided like Scenery, sRGB; no power bar and flimsy stand to worry about while my kids run around. Flicker free screen lets me game for longer sessions as it is easy on the eyes.
Last edited by shsiddiq on Sep 5th, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP E3 30% off pre order games 2011-2019 :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1979 posts
1537 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is pretty decent deal. 28" 4K monitor only at the price 450. Thanks.
Apr 24, 2014
249 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For anyone looking at monitors, I did the research beginning of this year. I'm a programmer/digital artist and I game a lot, so thats where I am coming from.

Upon looking into 4k and all the other types of monitors.

Most computers cannot run 4k games smoothly. 4k might be a benefit to your work though. Although graphic cards now advertise they can do 4k, you probably need 2 of them to have any sort of decent frame rate.

Ultrawides are really sweet and that was where I was leaning originally, but most games don't support them and the specs leave something to be desired. Would be great for professional work where space is important, but not good for gaming.

Ultimately, if you are gaming, you should be looking at an IPS Monitor, 144hz is the sweet spot and 2k is probably the best resolution, with as low ms as you can. To get all of that, you are looking at something like an ASUS ROG, which is a 1k$+ monitor.

You may have more options if you are looking for like a 24" or something, whereas 27" + your options are very limited.

Enjoy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8562 posts
3337 upvotes
Toronto
I have an Asus PG279Q, waiting on a deal for the Asus PG27AQ for 4k.

Best monitors for gaming IMO. if you can, save for them, definitely worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1800 posts
339 upvotes
Halifax
Variability wrote: I have an Asus PG279Q, waiting on a deal for the Asus PG27AQ for 4k.

Best monitors for gaming IMO. if you can, save for them, definitely worth it.
The PG27AQ model doesn't seem to have HDMI 2.0
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19700 posts
7174 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Anybody complaining about 60hz on a 4K "gaming" monitor must be from the future.

For the record, I am not from the future, but I am also totally OK with 60hz.

Also for the record, I would not bother buying a new monitor these days unless it has HDR support.

The specifications page for this model says nothing of HDR10 or otherwise:
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/MG2 ... fications/
Nov 4, 2009
263 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
shellegg wrote: seems good price to me. but TN is better than IPS Panel?
TN typically have a better refresh rate whereas IPS usually has better colour accuracy. Keep in mind those "response time" numbers posted on the box aren't the actual refresh rates the monitors work at, those are the overclocked numbers which make the panel hard to look at (screen that claims 1ms probably is running at 4ms).

Having used both for gaming, I'd prefer taking a "slightly slower" IPS as my main screen. I'm currently using an Asus PG279Q for gaming and debating picking this up as my secondary display. Might just keep waiting for a 4k ips though.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1344 posts
696 upvotes
I'd take even 1080p @ 120hz on even a 27" over 4k @ 60hz in a heartbeat.

I can't even stand how jittery the mouse moves on the desktop on 60hz displays.

I can't get used to 60hz after seeing 120hz, I recently purchased a 30" "GAMING" monitor @ 60hz overclocked to 75hz but returned it the next day.

However, I have no problem using a 24" 1080p @ 144hz beside my 27" 1440p @ 144hz.

Difference from 1080p to 1440p in IQ is noticeable but cramming 4k all into a 28"? What a waste.

Summary: 60hz on a "gaming" monitor is a joke. 4k monitor for gaming? Also a joke with the hardware that exists today.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1874 posts
498 upvotes
toronto
chaosthebomb wrote: TN typically have a better refresh rate whereas IPS usually has better colour accuracy. Keep in mind those "response time" numbers posted on the box aren't the actual refresh rates the monitors work at, those are the overclocked numbers which make the panel hard to look at (screen that claims 1ms probably is running at 4ms).

Having used both for gaming, I'd prefer taking a "slightly slower" IPS as my main screen. I'm currently using an Asus PG279Q for gaming and debating picking this up as my secondary display. Might just keep waiting for a 4k ips though.
I've seen VA panels with 1ms, best of both worlds. Asus and some other company revealed 4k 144hz monitors at this years CES also, will be coming soon.
think first, buy later.
Nov 4, 2009
263 posts
196 upvotes
Calgary
msz87 wrote: I've seen VA panels with 1ms, best of both worlds. Asus and some other company revealed 4k 144hz monitors at this years CES also, will be coming soon.
Are you sure they're actually running at 1ms? I own a vg248qe which claimed to run at 1ms but default was 4ms. If you overclock it to that 1ms it does this weird, not ghosting but flicker or distortion that made me feel sick. I mean sure technically it achieved 1ms as listed on the box but it wasn't usable as far as I'm concerned.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1800 posts
339 upvotes
Halifax
Most PCMR peeps can keep clamoring for higher Hz with higher than 2K resolution but that you have to wait for another year or two to fully take advantage of with video cards.

This is good for upto 4K 60fps console gaming now with 11ms avg input lag as HDR monitors are non existent or around $1000.