Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

ASUS C204EE 11.6" Chromebook N4020, 4/32 GB, USB-C display/power delivery - $170

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2021 11:16 pm
[OP]
Feb 20, 2018
202 posts
1869 upvotes

[Best Buy] ASUS C204EE 11.6" Chromebook N4020, 4/32 GB, USB-C display/power delivery - $170

• Screen Size: 11.6 in
  • Native Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768 (135 PPI), for comparison 15.6" FHD is 141 PPI
  • Touchscreen Display: No
  • Other Display Features: 200 nits; HD 16:9; Anti-glare; NTSC: 45%
  • Processor Type: Intel Celeron N4020 (Passmark: 1589)
  • Storage: 32 GB
  • RAM Size: 4 GB
  • Card Reader: Micro SD
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C Support Display / Power Delivery
  • Ethernet Port: No
  • Integrated Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
  • Integrated Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0 (Dual band) 2*2
  • Battery - Capacity: 42 Wh
  • Webcam: Yes
  • Keyboard Language: Bilingual
  • Backlit Keyboard: No
  • Colour: Dark Grey
  • Weight (lbs): 2.6 lb
  • Previous thread (Jan 2021 @ $230)
  • Previous thread for C204MA model (Sep 2020 @ $170)
142 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16608 posts
4815 upvotes
Scarberia
hot if it was 1080p with touch and thin bezels!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2857 posts
2682 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mikka2017 wrote: hot if it was 1080p with touch and thin bezels!
Seriously? It's $170. :facepalm:
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Nov 22, 2005
8 posts
12 upvotes
Reviews seem to have consistent theme of reliability issues (not turning on) but it is a good price...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7456 posts
7513 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: hot if it was 1080p with touch and thin bezels!
Wow, you seem to live in another time. It's $170, 1080p and thin bezels? Come on.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2857 posts
2682 upvotes
Montreal, QC
repatch wrote: Wow, you seem to live in another time. It's $170, 1080p and thin bezels? Come on.
Don't to forget it has to be touch screen! Also, 64GB RAM to make it very hot I guess.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1828 posts
968 upvotes
I've got the higher-end model of this that is a 2-in-1 with touch screen. But other than that, the internal hardware is pretty much the same as the one in this thread. It's my first Chromebook and it's being used for my kid's online learning. I have it mostly docked to a USB-C hub for power, display, and peripherals. I have had no problems with performance for the past year that I've owned it. There are the odd occasions that it is used away from the dock and screen resolution, while not the greatest at 1366 x 768, is certainly not a show stopper. It works fine with MS Teams, Google Meet, Skype, Zoom. Battery performance is stellar, keyboard is decent (although mine has a bilingual keyboard), and the build is sturdy enough that I don't have to worry about the occasional bumps. I paid just over $300 pre-tax for mine.

My only beef about it, and this has more to do with ChromeOS rather than this specific Chromebook, is that I can't get my old printer recognized for print jobs and Google has discontinued their cloud printing service.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2857 posts
2682 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ShinNoodles wrote: My only beef about it, and this has more to do with ChromeOS rather than this specific Chromebook, is that I can't get my old printer recognized for print jobs and Google has discontinued their cloud printing service.
Yes that's the one annoying thing with ChromeOS, I would only print from a Windows or Linux computer anyway 99% of the time, but that 1% is irritating Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Apr 30, 2008
655 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
ShinNoodles wrote: I've got the higher-end model of this that is a 2-in-1 with touch screen. But other than that, the internal hardware is pretty much the same as the one in this thread. It's my first Chromebook and it's being used for my kid's online learning. I have it mostly docked to a USB-C hub for power, display, and peripherals. I have had no problems with performance for the past year that I've owned it. There are the odd occasions that it is used away from the dock and screen resolution, while not the greatest at 1366 x 768, is certainly not a show stopper. It works fine with MS Teams, Google Meet, Skype, Zoom. Battery performance is stellar, keyboard is decent (although mine has a bilingual keyboard), and the build is sturdy enough that I don't have to worry about the occasional bumps. I paid just over $300 pre-tax for mine.

My only beef about it, and this has more to do with ChromeOS rather than this specific Chromebook, is that I can't get my old printer recognized for print jobs and Google has discontinued their cloud printing service.
What USB-C hub are you using? Any recos? Too many from Amazon to choose from. Trying to find one that doesn't have heat issues, as I want to use the hub for power/charge as well. Currently considering one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QXM ... EN3BK&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B097NZ ... H9P4&psc=1
Oct 1, 2020
532 posts
861 upvotes
in light of chip shortage and inflation, this is a insta buy for anyone looking for a chromebook.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2020
1463 posts
1149 upvotes
I just cant get excited for something like this, for niche purposes maybe. Seems so overpriced for what you actually get. For context, we are talking about similar to a amazon fire tablet performance with a much worse screen and cheap keyboard. Not a good deal IMO. For $100 or less maybe.
Last edited by Kevcorm on Oct 25th, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mar 27, 2021
349 posts
441 upvotes
TH3R wrote: What USB-C hub are you using? Any recos? Too many from Amazon to choose from. Trying to find one that doesn't have heat issues, as I want to use the hub for power/charge as well. Currently considering one of these:

They're all very similar, I got the PrimeCables promo for $24.

This is a must buy for $170 and USB-C PD charging! Also great just as a backup device/email checker/banking.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1255 posts
613 upvotes
helado1 wrote: Reviews seem to have consistent theme of reliability issues (not turning on) but it is a good price...
From the reviews and fix, it seems a minor fix. The Chromebook is shipped in some sort of battery saving mode so it will die quickly if turned on immediately, specially without plugging in. The fix apparently is very simple - plug it in for 15 mins before turning on and it is then in normal mode.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3616 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
Great deal for a starter ala youth educational CB. C4020 is not blazing but def faster than the Duet's mtk soc & 4gb is adequate. 32gb storage is a bit low IMO but is fine if one does some android housecleaning.

Upvote from me.

PS: Peeps wanting an inexpensive, maintenance free & more importantly, personal support free for the old(er) folks, this is a good choice. Personally I'd likely choose a nicer 2in1 for my loved ones (eg. refurb Acer 713 @$550) but this is solid choice for $170
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2857 posts
2682 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Kevcorm wrote: I just cant get excited for something like this, for niche purposes maybe. Seems so overpriced for what you actually get. For context, we are talking about similar to a amazon fire tablet performance with a much worse screen and cheap keyboard. Not a good deal IMO. For $100 or less maybe.
I'd certainly pay $20 more for an extra 1GB of RAM and 1.6" of screen real estate, on top of that "cheap" keybord. Also, I much prefer ChromeOS over Amazon's version of Android.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1828 posts
968 upvotes
TH3R wrote: What USB-C hub are you using? Any recos? Too many from Amazon to choose from. Trying to find one that doesn't have heat issues, as I want to use the hub for power/charge as well. Currently considering one of these:

I bought this USB-C hub from UGreen. I've had good experience with some of their other accessories, so I decided to stick with them, but as restartRFD said, they're all very similar for roughly the same price. I'm not picky about getting 4K @ 60Hz like others (and this Chromebook doesn't even output that resolution anyway) or every feature but the kitchen sink included. I was mainly looking for an aluminum casing for heat dissipation, HDMI output, and support for PD.
[OP]
Feb 20, 2018
202 posts
1869 upvotes
Kevcorm wrote: I just cant get excited for something like this, for niche purposes maybe. Seems so overpriced for what you actually get. For context, we are talking about similar to a amazon fire tablet performance with a worse screen and cheap keyboard. Not a good deal IMO. For $100 or less maybe.
The device runs on ChromeOS, so the processor should be fine for general web browsing. I personally prefer Chromebooks over tablets if you're looking for a portable device to use around the house. It has a physical keyboard and can browse websites in desktop mode. Trying to do any kind of productive work on a tablet is a big pain in the ass, especially without a keyboard.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1828 posts
968 upvotes
scotsum wrote: Great deal for a starter ala youth educational CB. C4020 is not blazing but def faster than the Duet's mtk soc & 4gb is adequate. 32gb storage is a bit low IMO but is fine if one does some android housecleaning.

Upvote from me.

PS: Peeps wanting an inexpensive, maintenance free & more importantly, personal support free for the old(er) folks, this is a good choice. Personally I'd likely choose a nicer 2in1 for my loved ones (eg. refurb Acer 713 @$550) but this is solid choice for $170
There's microSD support to expand storage if needed. Obviously not as fast as something that's onboard, but a nice feature inclusion.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3616 posts
2300 upvotes
Calgary
ShinNoodles wrote: There's microSD support to expand storage if needed. Obviously not as fast as something that's onboard, but a nice feature inclusion.
Ya most CBs have a mSD slot but that isn't what I meant. Android apps don't install on ext storage (at least not for CBs) so the 32gb (minus ~7-8gb for OS) is it.

Fwiw, chromeOS storage speed isn't the biggie as its on Win so mSD is fine for media storage