Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

ASUS Chromebook 11.6" Rugged Laptop-Dark Grey (Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3060/16GB eMMC/ 2GB RAM) - $199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 1:13 pm
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham

[Best Buy] ASUS Chromebook 11.6" Rugged Laptop-Dark Grey (Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3060/16GB eMMC/ 2GB RAM) - $199.99

• 1.6GHz Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3060 processer and 2GB of DDR3 RAM offer reliable performance for everyday computing needs
  • 16GB eEMMC lets you keep essential files close at hand for offline work, while Chrome OS's suite of cloud-based apps offers endless storage space for online work
  • 11.6-inch display with a native resolution of 1366 x 768 is ideal for surfing the web, managing email, and creating documents
  • Rugged design includes reinforced rubber wrapped protective guards, which include nano-molding technology, to help protect against impacts and drops
  • Designed to pass impact tests like drops and extreme twist forces, so you can allow your kids to use it with peace of mind
  • Spill-resistant keyboard shrugs off accidental spills and keeps on going
  • The easy-grip design makes it simple to carry it around or hand to a friend or classmate with less chance of being dropped
  • 180-degree hinge allows you to lay the laptop completely flat, which enhances group viewing and collaboration
  • 15% larger character-printed keys makes it easier to type and find the words you're looking for
  • Anti-glare display is easy to view, even in sunlight, and helps to reduce eyestrain
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi gives you the freedom to connect to wireless networks at home, at the office, or to hotspots when you're on the go
  • 360-degree Wi-Fi antenna helps improve reception for better internet connectivity
  • Bluetooth functionality allows you to wirelessly connect a range of compatible devices, such as a gaming headset or external speakers
  • Pair of USB 3.0 ports make it easy to expand functionality by connecting a range of peripherals, such as a printer, keyboard, and mouse
  • HDMI output lets you connect the laptop to an HD monitor or HDTV for use as a secondary display
  • Up to 10 hours of battery life so it lasts all day long
  • Preloaded with Chrome OS operating system, which offers built-in virus protection, automatic software updates, and easy access to your favourite Google apps such as Gmail, Google Docs, and more

Good user reviews (4.0/5.0) at Amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-Chromebook-C ... B079NK6FF2
37 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
Chromebook is for cloud based apps. 2GB memory is more than enough.

If one needs offline computing, one can install GalliumOS which is based on Ubuntu Linux OS but specially tailored for Intel based Chromebooks.
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Welcome_to_t ... iumOS_Wiki

There are plenty of free Linux apps that work with GalliumOS on a Chromebook. I personally preferred the WPS Office Suite on my Chromebook running GalliumOS.
https://www.wps.com/linux

Lightweight, long battery time (8+ hours), fast booting and keyboard based are the pros of Chromebooks.

Do not compare it with a Windows laptop. Chromebook is more than capable to handle web browsing, emailing, online social networking, video viewing and OfficeSuite type applications I.e. word processing, spreadsheet and presentation apps.

I am very happy with mine which is a Acer Chromebook.
Last edited by drdtyc on Aug 4th, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
drdtyc wrote: Do not compare it with a Windows laptop.
It's hard not to, people made the same claims back in the day regarding Atom Netbooks.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
redflagdealsguy wrote: It's hard not to, people made the same claims back in the day regarding Atom Netbooks.
I would be hard-pressed to find a new laptop which is lightweight and has 8+ hours battery time for under $200.
Mar 5, 2011
223 posts
217 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: It's hard not to, people made the same claims back in the day regarding Atom Netbooks.
That was insufficient hardware running a stripped down but still resource-hungry version of Windows. I threw Lunbuntu on my Atom notebook and got a few years out of it.

Compare that to my now 4 year old Chromebook. It runs as fast as it did on day 1 and will probably continue to do so until I run it into the ground. For a day to day web browsing and light office work machine, it's excellent. I even use mine to RDP into work computers and if I hook it up to a bigger monitor, it's good at that as well.

Chromebooks >>>>>>>>>>>>> atom-based netbooks

That said, I'd splurge the extra bucks for a 4gb Chromebook but that's just my opinion.
Nov 13, 2014
169 posts
379 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Nahhh...

I mean if you're planning on running a very very lightweight version of Linux, sure.

But even then, a lot of Kernels now a days require more then 2GB of ram. It really depends. On my VM right now I allocated around 4 and CentOS works great.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Looking at the meh specs, the only thing that strikes me as good is the 2.2lbs weight. I doubt the 2.2lbs is correct, but if it is then that one light chromebook.

I think this is better deal, https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 00ZF-000X2

$10 more for 2Gb more RAM.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
May 12, 2012
696 posts
804 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
toalan wrote: Looking at the meh specs, the only thing that strikes me as good is the 2.2lbs weight. I doubt the 2.2lbs is correct, but if it is then that one light chromebook.

I think this is better deal, https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 00ZF-000X2

$10 more for 2Gb more RAM.
Own this one. Fantastic machine. I grabbed mine for $179 from the source. They were even selling a limited quantity of open box for $129. There was a thread. Also I would highly recommend 4gb, unless you are not the type to have many tabs open...but seeing as this is cloud based, all you have is tabs opened. Mine hasplay store support as well. Dunno if OPs does as mine was initially advertised to have 'app' support but it opened certain Google apps in browser tabs instead.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Ferny111 wrote: Own this one. Fantastic machine. I grabbed mine for $179 from the source. They were even selling a limited quantity of open box for $129. There was a thread. Also I would highly recommend 4gb, unless you are not the type to have many tabs open...but seeing as this is cloud based, all you have is tabs opened. Mine hasplay store support as well. Dunno if OPs does as mine was initially advertised to have 'app' support but it opened certain Google apps in browser tabs instead.
The HP is a nice machine, got that for my mom a few months back. Everything about it is just good enough, there are no outstanding issues with it.
Mar 9, 2009
389 posts
756 upvotes
Winnipeg
toalan wrote: The HP is a nice machine, got that for my mom a few months back. Everything about it is just good enough, there are no outstanding issues with it.

Can you access google play on this?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
can u hackintosh this model? tia

i need to macOS to use xcode to wireless JB the apple4k tv!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Computational capability aside, the display and speakers alone are god damn mediocre for media consumption experience in 2018.

Chromebook branding aside, this stuff is like bottom of the barrel crap.

.. And *rugged? What a joke. #NotRugged #Getac
Last edited by chatbox on Aug 4th, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I am pretty sure it does. Look it up via google, you should find this laptop on the list of being compatible or has beta access for running android apps.

My only reservation with the HP is that it does not have type c port.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
1250 posts
1202 upvotes
Ottawa
Almost bought this earlier this year (for $250 at the time), but ended up getting the Dell Chromebook 13 instead. The 4gb RAM is worth the extra cost.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I got my mom a clearance Chromebook 3 or 4 years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made. She's bugged m maybe 3 times since then and the issues were always just add-ons installed in Chrome.

So easy to remove. I'm tempted to get her this one since it's actually running an Intel chip instead of the mobile chip her Samsung one is running now.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
chatbox wrote: Computational capability aside, the display and speakers alone are god damn mediocre for media consumption experience in 2018.

Chromebook branding aside, this stuff is like bottom of the barrel crap.

.. And *rugged? What a joke. #NotRugged #Getac
The screen is 11.6" and thus 1366 X 768 is more than adequate for Youtube video viewing.

I have no problem with speakers of my Acer 11" Chromebook. This Asus one mostly will be fine. One can plugs in one's favorite headphone through the audio socket or use a Bluetooth speaker if so desired.
Last edited by drdtyc on Aug 4th, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2370 posts
1036 upvotes
London
Any good deals on touch screen models? My kiddo uses one at school and would like to continue the learning on one for the next fee years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5242 posts
3520 upvotes
Not a great deal, my Acer CB3-131 has 4 gig ram and I bought for $209. More rugged than that.

4 Gig is a must if you're a hardcore chrome tabber. I use mine for work now because it runs faster than my thinkpad t480 for most browsing, mostly because windows suck.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2010
1798 posts
1184 upvotes
Eastern Canada
laptop with window 10, $268
11.6" HD (1366*768), matte
Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 1.1GHz (Turbo up to 2.4GHz)
4GB LPDDR3 (On Board)
Intel HD
64GB EMMC
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
802.11AC
VGA Camera
Bluetooth 4.1
1 year warranty

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/asus-vivob ... 0197581162
. . . .
Be Nice...
. . . .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
fonzy35 wrote: laptop with window 10, $268
11.6" HD (1366*768), matte
Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 1.1GHz (Turbo up to 2.4GHz)
4GB LPDDR3 (On Board)
Intel HD
64GB EMMC
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
802.11AC
VGA Camera
Bluetooth 4.1
1 year warranty

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/asus-vivob ... 0197581162
Looks like a fine machine if you must have windows but battery life will be much worse than a chromebook with the exact same hardware. I would hazzard to guess that you get about 50% more battery life with chrome Vs windows.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)