Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

ASUS ROG Strix G15DK Gaming PC - Black (AMD Ryzen 7-5800X/2TB HDD/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 3070) - $2199.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2021 9:52 pm
May 21, 2021
4 posts
Any impressions of how hot this system runs ? Only one review on best buy and it's a negative for hot it runs. Should I be looking at better fans already (still haven't pulled the trigger on it yet )?
Mar 6, 2006
18 posts
Toronto
Ordered one today... Never had pre-built desktop before, used to build my own.
Photo on site does show both memory slots populated - wonder if anyone who got theirs recently can confirm?
Also wondering if the cooling has any dust protection - I couldn't see any on the air intake, and with the weak-ish cooling this might be a problem after a few months.
Hoping for the best.
May 21, 2021
4 posts
Just received mine in the mail today.

For those asking, it does come with keyboard and mouse but they are just basic Asus brand. Don't light up or anything.
Dec 20, 2013
25 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
PerformingAzura wrote: To the people who ordered this and received a 1x16GB stick.

Anyone of you guys wanna buy the 1x16 that came off my desktop or alternatively sell yours?

Most modern systems like this one benefit greatly from having RAM installed in pairs.
I might be keeping the system, what your price for the ram?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1709 posts
1069 upvotes
Doom328 wrote: Any impressions of how hot this system runs ? Only one review on best buy and it's a negative for hot it runs. Should I be looking at better fans already (still haven't pulled the trigger on it yet )?
GPU temps are decent, but they'd benefit greatly if ASUS had a front intake fan.
My CPU hit 90C under full load (I forget if the side panels were on or off). 90C isn't bad... unless you're always running it full tilt, but the damn thing sounded like a jet engine.
pcbrand wrote: Ordered one today... Never had pre-built desktop before, used to build my own.
Photo on site does show both memory slots populated - wonder if anyone who got theirs recently can confirm?
Also wondering if the cooling has any dust protection - I couldn't see any on the air intake, and with the weak-ish cooling this might be a problem after a few months.
Hoping for the best.
You get 1x3200MHz CL22 stick.
Don't need dust protection if you don't have fans. Face With Tears Of Joy There is a mesh front and mesh top, but there is no room for fans. If you want to add fans you'll need to be creative as I don't think the top and front panels come off.
qliang22 wrote: I might be keeping the system, what your price for the ram?
I'm going to try and return the system. Bestbuy.ca says no returns allowed.... if that's the case, when we might have a deal, but I'm hoping after lockdown ends I can go in store and return it.

pyrocyborg wrote: Yes. It is the Asus Dual 3070 (non OC variant), which is their bottom tier. It's not a bad card per se, but it run a bit hotter than their TUF 3070. It doesn't have a lot of OC headroom (at least compared to higher end models) and the RGB is fixed (it's a simple blue/purple line, and you can't adjust it or turn it off).

Link to Asus website : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Compo ... TX3070-8G/
This is wrong. The card is a triple slot 2 fan solution. I don't think ASUS sells this GPU separately.
May 21, 2021
4 posts
PerformingAzura wrote: GPU temps are decent, but they'd benefit greatly if ASUS had a front intake fan.
My CPU hit 90C under full load (I forget if the side panels were on or off). 90C isn't bad... unless you're always running it full tilt, but the damn thing sounded like a jet engine.

I'm going to try and return the system. Bestbuy.ca says no returns allowed.... if that's the case, when we might have a deal, but I'm hoping after lockdown ends I can go in store and return it.
Thanks for the answer. If you don't mind my asking, is there a major reason you are returning it ?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
1768 posts
794 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: I'm going to try and return the system. Bestbuy.ca says no returns allowed.... if that's the case, when we might have a deal, but I'm hoping after lockdown ends I can go in store and return it.
Looks like a bug when initiating a return online.

Best Buy support said: "You can return or exchange it at any nearest store for the fastest refund process or you can also return the order via mail. Please let me know your preference"
Brown ahead for Bure. Bure going in.. he scores! Pavel Bure has won it for the Vancouver Canucks! It's a triple overtime hat-trick for Vancouver!
- Western Conference Quarter-Final Game 7, April 30, 1994
May 10, 2006
561 posts
249 upvotes
YYC
I just got mine today but trying to decide on opening it or returning it. Can someone take a pic of the stock heatsink? Is it really that crappy?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1709 posts
1069 upvotes
FTO wrote: I just got mine today but trying to decide on opening it or returning it. Can someone take a pic of the stock heatsink? Is it really that crappy?
Doom328 wrote: Thanks for the answer. If you don't mind my asking, is there a major reason you are returning it ?
I'm not happy with the part selection.
Asus picked a good cpu, good gpu but then everything else was there just to tick a box. Cpu cooler is aliexpress crap (90mm fan), psu looks poor quality, no space for case fans, no expand-ability (beyond adding 2.5" SSDs), dram less ssd and the second M.2 slot is taken up by a Wifi card. I don't understand where the budget went.

I just think I can build a cheaper PC.

EDIT: Maybe the GPU is a Dual OC.... Is the Dual OC a 2.5 thick card?
EDIT 2: Another reason to return, my PSU fan is rattling.....
Images
  • 20210522_161057.jpg
Last edited by PerformingAzura on May 28th, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 10, 2006
561 posts
249 upvotes
YYC
PerformingAzura wrote: I'm not happy with the part selection.
Asus picked a good cpu, good gpu but then everything else was there just to tick a box. Cpu cooler is aliexpress crap (90mm fan), psu looks poor quality, no space for case fans, no expand-ability (beyond adding 2.5" SSDs), dram less ssd and the second M.2 slot is taken up by a Wifi card. I don't understand where the budget went.

I just think I can build a cheaper PC.

EDIT: Maybe the GPU is a Dual OC.... Is the Dual OC a 2.5 thick card?
Thanks for the picture. I've never had a prebuilt in my life so I am thinking I will be very disappointed with this if I open it. Gonna leave it boxed until the last day of return, see if I can luck out and score a standalone GPU before that.

The crazy thing is it went up another $100 now. Originally $2199, I bought at $2299, now its $2399.
Jan 5, 2014
22 posts
11 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: This is wrong. The card is a triple slot 2 fan solution. I don't think ASUS sells this GPU separately.
I'm fairly positive that it is the Asus Dual. I have an Asus Dual 3070 OC at home, and it looks exactly like that. The Dual is a little bit more than 2 inches thick (i.e. 2.5 slot), and is even a little bit thicker than the Asus TUF 3070.

It's a big card, but I don't see why they would create a new SKU with a new cooling option for a prebuilt while they could simply use the cheapest 3070 they can make, and make it look like a Dual card. If you can take a picture of the tag over the backplate (if you can see it despite the separator), it would indicate which model it is. It must be something like "DUAL-RTX3070-8G-XX".
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1709 posts
1069 upvotes
pyrocyborg wrote: I'm fairly positive that it is the Asus Dual. I have an Asus Dual 3070 OC at home, and it looks exactly like that. The Dual is a little bit more than 2 inches thick (i.e. 2.5 slot), and is even a little bit thicker than the Asus TUF 3070.

It's a big card, but I don't see why they would create a new SKU with a new cooling option for a prebuilt while they could simply use the cheapest 3070 they can make, and make it look like a Dual card. If you can take a picture of the tag over the backplate (if you can see it despite the separator), it would indicate which model it is. It must be something like "DUAL-RTX3070-8G-XX".
I think you're right. It likely is a dual. ASUS's pictures on their website make the card look like a 2 slot card, which is what confused me.
May 21, 2021
4 posts
If anyone keeps their PC and decides to upgrade the fans, let me know what you choose. Thinking I might order some cool master fans and at the very least, upgrade the rear fan.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1470 posts
788 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I wonder why they call this pre-built an ROG Strix, but they don't include their Strix graphics card.
Aug 16, 2012
10 posts
7 upvotes
Can anyone who bought this at $2199 post their receipt? Do you think they would price match?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1709 posts
1069 upvotes
Anyone return their PC yet? Looks like lockdown ended June 2nd.

Thinking of swinging by a Bestbuy on the weekend
May 20, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
Anyone looking to buy or sell their ram stick? PM me if you guys are interested.
Apr 27, 2018
89 posts
19 upvotes
In stock at 2299.99 again. Fan is very loud, thinking about returning