Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Black (AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GTX 1660Ti - $1399.99

[OP]
Member
Oct 23, 2012
415 posts
195 upvotes
Brampton

[Best Buy] ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Black (AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GTX 1660Ti - $1399.99

I've been looking for laptop deal for awhile since most models are sold out. Right now this model is in stock and specs for it seen very good
20 replies
Newbie
Mar 5, 2011
93 posts
36 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone know if this laptop would hold up well editing 4k videos on Premiere and doing other types of video editing?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1222 upvotes
clubbah wrote: Anyone know if this laptop would hold up well editing 4k videos on Premiere and doing other types of video editing?
yes but screen is prob not good as expected from this price range
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 15, 2015
140 posts
226 upvotes
Windsor
This is actually the G15 with a max Q 1660ti...very good if you require the portability and build quality.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Member
Jul 22, 2009
432 posts
429 upvotes
Oakville
clubbah wrote: Anyone know if this laptop would hold up well editing 4k videos on Premiere and doing other types of video editing?
Not full sRGB, pretty dull screen actually. If you use an external monitor maybe you'll be fine.
Newbie
Mar 26, 2020
6 posts
5 upvotes
I picked this guy up yesterday in store for $1299 plus tax, it came with a backpack yesterday, can't see the backpack today
Lenovo Legion Y540 81SX00R7CC w/ Core™ i5-9300H, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 15.6in Full HD 144Hz, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112716

Edit ; it has a awkward keypad, need to get used to it
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2009
665 posts
529 upvotes
clubbah wrote: Anyone know if this laptop would hold up well editing 4k videos on Premiere and doing other types of video editing?
I had one and it didn't do great so I went up to the 240hz 3ms screen version.
It does quite well.
PSA the Canadian version of the GA502IV-ES76 with the 240hz screen has 8gb ram soldered so can only expand to 24gb unlike the US version that has 16gb soldered and can expand to 32gb.
Both Canada Computers and Memory Express advertise that you can expand to 32gb which is incorrect.
It wasn't enough for me to return the laptop but I was not impressed to find that out when I opened it up.

Memory Express also suppressed my review on their site calling that out.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1222 upvotes
Skype007 wrote: I picked this guy up yesterday in store for $1299 plus tax, it came with a backpack yesterday, can't see the backpack today
Lenovo Legion Y540 81SX00R7CC w/ Core™ i5-9300H, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 15.6in Full HD 144Hz, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Windows 10

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112716

Edit ; it has a awkward keypad, need to get used to it
personally, if i were u, I would return the laptop u got and get this one as cpu is far far superior than what u got.
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2009
846 posts
545 upvotes
Calgary
JIB9022 wrote: personally, if i were u, I would return the laptop u got and get this one as cpu is far far superior than what u got.
Agree, the CPU in the Asus is more than twice as fast, well worth the $100 price increase. If the Lenovo has at least a 4600H, then it's much better .
Member
Jul 2, 2005
443 posts
173 upvotes
Mississauga
Can anyone chime in how is this compared to an Acer Predator Triton 500 for $360 more?
• i7-9750H
• 16GB memory/512GB SSD
• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
• 144Hz 15" screen
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1477 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
This is a 1660Ti MAX Q by the way. Not the regular 1660Ti.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2579 posts
1728 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
ezacarias wrote: Can anyone chime in how is this compared to an Acer Predator Triton 500 for $360 more?
• i7-9750H
• 16GB memory/512GB SSD
• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
• 144Hz 15" screen
2060 considerably more powerful, screen is better too. 9750H I believe is a bit slower than the AMD CPU though.
Newbie
Mar 26, 2020
6 posts
5 upvotes
Isn't the max 10-15% slower, but has better cooling, and yes the Prozessor is much newer and better, and I really much prefer to have a keypad
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15005 posts
11533 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Plug in keyboard to usb port and problem solved.
Skype007 wrote: Isn't the max 10-15% slower, but has better cooling, and yes the Prozessor is much newer and better, and I really much prefer to have a keypad

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1477 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
Skype007 wrote: Isn't the max 10-15% slower, but has better cooling, and yes the Prozessor is much newer and better, and I really much prefer to have a keypad
Yep slower, but even with the maxq, reviews said the thermals on this aren’t that great. Almost on par with the Tuf A15 actually, so you’re better off getting that instead for an extra 100-200.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1438 posts
1084 upvotes
Whitby
OVOSound wrote: Yep slower, but even with the maxq, reviews said the thermals on this aren’t that great. Almost on par with the Tuf A15 actually, so you’re better off getting that instead for an extra 100-200.
I remember Dave 2D saying thermals on the G14/G15 are good.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1477 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
abshahul wrote: I remember Dave 2D saying thermals on the G14/G15 are good.
I dont know about the G14, but for the G15

For the G15 if you look at other reviews that are more thorough, they show that the vents/fans are blocked by a paper that serves no purpose at all besides dust intake maybe. The 2020 G15 which is the model that this thread is for has that issue. They said if you remove the paper it can reduce temperatures a bit, but it voids the warranty.

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1438 posts
1084 upvotes
Whitby
OVOSound wrote: I dont know about the G14, but for the G15

For the G15 if you look at other reviews that are more thorough, they show that the vents/fans are blocked by a paper that serves no purpose at all besides dust intake maybe. The 2020 G15 which is the model that this thread is for has that issue. They said if you remove the paper it can reduce temperatures a bit, but it voids the warranty.

Thanks, didn't know G15 had different thermal setup.
[external link removed]
[OP]
Member
Oct 23, 2012
415 posts
195 upvotes
Brampton
Just got it and it's very fast, but an issue so far is how compact the keyboard is. I'll have to test on weekend to see if it ergonomically works for me
IMG_20200710_141359__01.jpg
Newbie
Dec 21, 2010
26 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Dandada wrote: I had one and it didn't do great so I went up to the 240hz 3ms screen version.
It does quite well.
PSA the Canadian version of the GA502IV-ES76 with the 240hz screen has 8gb ram soldered so can only expand to 24gb unlike the US version that has 16gb soldered and can expand to 32gb.
Both Canada Computers and Memory Express advertise that you can expand to 32gb which is incorrect.
It wasn't enough for me to return the laptop but I was not impressed to find that out when I opened it up.

Memory Express also suppressed my review on their site calling that out.
Where did you get the information on 16gb soldered in US?

Top