Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GTX 1660Ti $1,499

[OP]
Newbie
Dec 10, 2009
5 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton

[Best Buy] ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GTX 1660Ti $1,499

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS (2.9 GHz 8-core)
Storage: 512GB SSD
Memory:16GB DDR4 RAM
Graphics: GTX 1660Ti 6 GB

I've been looking for a laptop that is $1,500 or less with great performance, won't be gaming much but want something that can handle running many applications (lots of browser tabs, spotify, and a slew of Office programs) and multiple screens at once, all while downloading.

Comparables (on specs and price) at Best Buy include Dell XPS 13, HP Omen, and Lenovo IdeaPad. Is this truly a good deal, or is there something better out there for the price?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... n/14575596
Last edited by shotgunsteve on Jan 25th, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38 replies
Newbie
May 6, 2019
38 posts
98 upvotes
Thanks OP, please fix the price in title ‘$1,49999’
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2011
1192 posts
467 upvotes
Brandon
shotgunsteve wrote: ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS (2.9 GHz 8-core)
Storage: 512GB SSD
Memory:16GB DDR4 RAM
Graphics: GTX 1660Ti 6 GB

I've been looking for a laptop that is $1,500 or less with great performance, won't be gaming much but want something that can handle running many applications (lots of browser tabs, spotify, and a slew of Office programs) and multiple screens at once, all while downloading.

Comparables (on specs and price) at Best Buy include Dell XPS 13, HP Omen, and Lenovo IdeaPad. Is this truly a good deal, or is there something better out there for the price?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... n/14575596
Your price is set at $149,999 not $1,499...
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2009
173 posts
414 upvotes
I've got one i'd let go for $148000. DM me. :-)
Sr. Member
Jul 16, 2019
728 posts
355 upvotes
shotgunsteve wrote: ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS (2.9 GHz 8-core)
Storage: 512GB SSD
Memory:16GB DDR4 RAM
Graphics: GTX 1660Ti 6 GB

I've been looking for a laptop that is $1,500 or less with great performance, won't be gaming much but want something that can handle running many applications (lots of browser tabs, spotify, and a slew of Office programs) and multiple screens at once, all while downloading.

Comparables (on specs and price) at Best Buy include Dell XPS 13, HP Omen, and Lenovo IdeaPad. Is this truly a good deal, or is there something better out there for the price?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... n/14575596
You are comparing Apples to Oranges.
The Asus G14 and the HP Omen are gaming machines with the Asus designed as a thin and light gaming laptop. The Ideapad is a mainstream brand. Dell XPS is targeted to portability and performance.
You also need to provide the specs/link of each model so we can compare. Do they all have the same specs including a 1660Ti graphics card ?
The G14 has good reviews. But you are paying a premium for a performance gaming machine that is also thin. If you do not care about the size then you could probably go for Asus TUF gaming machine for a bit less.
Newbie
Nov 14, 2020
15 posts
8 upvotes
Is buying any old laptop worth it when all the new laptop lineup are coming out tomorrow and next week for basically similar price with newer specs?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... g/15264489

just search 5800h or 5900h at bestbuy/canadacomputers/memory express (lots of the date show on sale on Jan 26th)
ex. https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=5800h

I think its better to pay that $100 more for next generation performance jump. Not sure how much of a jump it is on laptops but should be still decent. Plus has a webcam which this doesn't :(

But the 3060 should be a decent jump from 1660 Ti and DLSS support
Last edited by Bierno on Jan 25th, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 29, 2003
5128 posts
3971 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
vernonco wrote: C'mon OPs first post, go easy
OP has been a member for over 11 years though.
Newbie
Aug 20, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
I've got the exact same model (although got it via costco late last year) - but paid more (even though it was on promo).
(FYI - paid $1570 + taxes)
I love it. Great screen, keyboard, compact and great construction.
When not gaming (which i do WAY too much of these days) - i keep the 120W brick upstairs and use a 65W PD - usb C for roaming around the house.
Can even do light gaming @ 65W as well. Just won't run a high FPS since it won't push high power to the GPU.
Anyways... i do recommend. :)
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 10, 2009
5 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for pointing out the (extreme) error in pricing in the title. Sorry guys, this is my first time posting here - despite being a long time creeper.

Appreciate the share info, suckaX. Sounds like you use a lighter battery when not gaming? I read of issues with the backlit keyboard did you experience this? MakAttack07 is correct that there is no webcam.

vernonco, good question. I would like a laptop with good processor, video card, memory, and SSD storage that is also thin and under $1,500 - despite not planning to use it for gaming.

Finally, Bierno hits the nail. I was not aware that the newer lines are coming out in the next week. Perhaps it is best to hold for a few days to see what is released....
Newbie
Aug 20, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
I haven't experienced any keyboard backlight issues. I believe the main complaint (at the time when I was researching) was for the white model - where the backlight made the keys almost impossible to tell when in lit situations (i.e. lack of contrast).
I actually feel better without a webcam... and I really appreciate the weight of this.
Sadly, as with all tech - there's always another one coming down the pipe. I have no regrets - for me it was a purchase of need, not a want. So timing was a factor. :)
If you read reviews (of the past 6+ months) this unit (although probably the higher CPU model w/ the Ryzen 9) was TOPS on many vlog/blog/review sites across the board.

I've actually got my eye on THIS bad boy for work - still to be released. Unlikely to get approved... but crossing my fingers. :P
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amers.html
(NOT a deal - just one helluva laptop)
Jr. Member
Nov 25, 2015
102 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thanks OP! Picked up an open-box model for $1,299 and threw all the BestBuy gift cards I had at it. Great laptop
Sr. Member
Jul 16, 2019
728 posts
355 upvotes
suckaX wrote: I've got the exact same model (although got it via costco late last year) - but paid more (even though it was on promo).
(FYI - paid $1570 + taxes)
I love it. Great screen, keyboard, compact and great construction.
When not gaming (which i do WAY too much of these days) - i keep the 120W brick upstairs and use a 65W PD - usb C for roaming around the house.
Can even do light gaming @ 65W as well. Just won't run a high FPS since it won't push high power to the GPU.
Anyways... i do recommend. :)
Nice to see a real review from someone using the laptop.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 10, 2009
5 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for specifying that the keyboard details are dependent on model selected.

I agree, the perfect machine will not be priced under $1,500 and there's always something new. I doubt any of the new stuff will fit in this price category.

YES, the many good reviews have pushed me towards this one. One common thread among the reviews is the fan, how has it been in your experience? Does it run often and is it loud?
Newbie
Apr 9, 2013
39 posts
14 upvotes
Also got this one from Costco in Dec for 15xx+tax=17xx with 1 extra year of warranty compare to BB. Highly recommended the unit - thin and light with great performance. Screen color is good too comparing to some other models.

But in terms of future proof, the new RTX 30 laptops are coming with Ryzen 5000 series. Might want to wait a bit and get the new ASUS G14 or G15. Probably cost $500 extra, but can do well for additional 3-5 years.
Newbie
Apr 9, 2013
39 posts
14 upvotes
shotgunsteve wrote: Thanks for specifying that the keyboard details are dependent on model selected.

I agree, the perfect machine will not be priced under $1,500 and there's always something new. I doubt any of the new stuff will fit in this price category.

YES, the many good reviews have pushed me towards this one. One common thread among the reviews is the fan, how has it been in your experience? Does it run often and is it loud?
It does run hot when gaming. Depend on how to use it though. Most of the keys are fine all under full load. But the sides are quite hot especially around the vents. Not comfortable when occasionally touched the hot spots.

Fans are noisy when switch to full performance. But I typically keep it as quiet mode and it’s fine for most gaming experience.

Top