Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GTX 1660Ti $1,499

Jul 14, 2019
755 posts
1215 upvotes
One of the best laptops of 2020 at a very good price. Only downside is within a month or so you will be able to buy the Ryzen 5XXX version which will see ~30%+ performance increases. If you're on a tight budget though this is as of today still the most power you can get in this form factor (for 1-2 more months).

This year, the G15 was dramatically improved and will probably be the one most people will buy.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1841 posts
946 upvotes
I own and love this laptop. Super amazing for what it is and the Ryzen 7 4800 is no slouch at all.
The thing is, the 30xx series is coming, but this is not the laptop it replaces, it's the 2060 ver it replaces.
The replacement for this laptop's video is DOWNGRADED to a 4GB 1650 folks. This one has a 6GB 1660 ti and it runs well.
The one thing the 2021 model has over this IMHO is the on-board video is getting the upgrade from what I remember.
I actually use the on-board of the 2020 model quite a bit on battery as it runs surprisingly well. Even if you don't game, this is a fast laptop for general use.
I posted in another thread how this ended up being the *BEST* laptop I found, gaming or otherwise. The keyboard, touchpad, screen, work surprisingly well. Asus knocked it out the park.
Here's something to think about: The 2020 premium ver (RTX 2060) was $1799 before it sold out. With the possibility of the 2021 replacement of this sku being the same price, why not buy that instead when you could?

The dude who bought this sku at $1299 Open box got a deal. That is the thing you should jump on. This price is okay and it's a great laptop for the price, but it's hardly different to what it was a few weeks ago.
But if you think you should pass a great laptop like this up for the upcoming, keep in mind it'll probably be quite a bit more expensive knowing asus (BB already priced the 3060 model at $200 more - $2699!!!)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... g/15264483

Asus priced the premium G14 out of being a great laptop in Canada last year at $2499, leaving us with this model at a more modest price. It looks like they are doing it again. I say, grab the cheapo stuff when you can if the price is right.
You can get a whole lot more for $2699 from other mfg's when you think of it, and that new Asus G15 is looking pretty sweet. I think they made a mistake on pricing the new G14 3060 model. Disappointed.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
nambit wrote: I own and love this laptop. Super amazing for what it is and the Ryzen 7 4800 is no slouch at all.
The thing is, the 30xx series is coming, but this is not the laptop it replaces, it's the 2060 ver it replaces.
The replacement for this laptop's video is DOWNGRADED to a 4GB 1650 folks. This one has a 6GB 1660 ti and it runs well.
The one thing the 2021 model has over this IMHO is the on-board video is getting the upgrade from what I remember.
I actually use the on-board of the 2020 model quite a bit on battery as it runs surprisingly well. Even if you don't game, this is a fast laptop for general use.
I posted in another thread how this ended up being the *BEST* laptop I found, gaming or otherwise. The keyboard, touchpad, screen, work surprisingly well. Asus knocked it out the park.
Here's something to think about: The 2020 premium ver (RTX 2060) was $1799 before it sold out. With the possibility of the 2021 replacement of this sku being the same price, why not buy that instead when you could?

The dude who bought this sku at $1299 Open box got a deal. That is the thing you should jump on. This price is okay and it's a great laptop for the price, but it's hardly different to what it was a few weeks ago.
But if you think you should pass a great laptop like this up for the upcoming, keep in mind it'll probably be quite a bit more expensive knowing asus (BB already priced the 3060 model at $200 more - $2699!!!)

Asus priced the premium G14 out of being a great laptop in Canada last year at $2499, leaving us with this model at a more modest price. It looks like they are doing it again. I say, grab the cheapo stuff when you can if the price is right.
You can get a whole lot more for $2699 from other mfg's when you think of it, and that new Asus G15 is looking pretty sweet. I think they made a mistake on pricing the new G14 3060 model. Disappointed.
Nice review.
You are correct the new graphic card has 4Gb.
Pricing of the new laptops will be higher because the new nvidia cards will likely cost more, specially out of the gate. And the specs may also go up - 1Tb instead of 512 as an example.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1567 posts
1534 upvotes
kodkod wrote: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=186735

wouldn't this 2070 at $1399 more hot? But it's 15.6", not 14", so may be not as appealing for someone who's looking for smaller size
The specs on the box aren't everything. This is a pretty nice laptop, with good reviews. I'll let you judge what you think of that one, but I wouldn't buy it.
Feb 20, 2006
700 posts
568 upvotes
nambit wrote: I own and love this laptop. Super amazing for what it is and the Ryzen 7 4800 is no slouch at all.

faster CPU, 3060 video card and 32 GB is $200 more than previous model with 16 GB ram, isn't it? it is not too bad.
Aug 20, 2017
7 posts
4 upvotes
It can get loud when running with l20W adapter and playing a taxing game.... That's probably true about a lot of gamer laptops. But I sport headphones when I play, so I've learned to ignore. But something that, if is important, worth knowing.
But when normal use, fan is very good... And quiet. Hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1841 posts
946 upvotes
hchai wrote: faster CPU, 3060 video card and 32 GB is $200 more than previous model with 16 GB ram, isn't it? it is not too bad.
Very true, however Asus has to justify bumping up the already high price of the premium model.
Think about it for a sec, these are the same folks who asked $2500 for a 2060, 16Mb ram, and 512MB SSD when you can get it a lot cheaper.
Also, relatively speaking, you are paying $200 more for the extra 16GB of ram as the premium model already had a 1TB drive, xx60 GPU and Ryzen 9 CPU.
Yes you get the latest and greatest CPU/GPU but that's what you pay the premium price for already. At that price, you may as well go for Alienware or even Razer.
In the states it's a different story as it's priced a lot more reasonable. The 3060, 32GB, and faster CPU are nice, but $2700 is a huge price tag! They gotta do better.

Think of it this way, the price of the 2060 model in the states was actually *CHEAPER* than the 1660 Model here in Canada. Asus should do better.

Here's my issue:
I really like the zephyrus I have, but I have 60 days left to return it to costco if I want to jump to the 2021 model. However, look at my predicament:

1. Pay a little more for a weaker GPU but stronger CPU (which I really don't need as the current one is plenty powerful). Oh, and I believe wQHD which is nice, but not necessary for me.
2. Pay $1200 more to get a system that's overkill, especially in price for me to jump in.

There should have been something in the middle. The sad truth is the premium 2020 model with the 2060 / 1TB / Ryzen 9 is that middle ground. As I mentioned beforer, that was the deal to get.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/14575597
Nov 14, 2020
56 posts
57 upvotes
nambit wrote: Very true, however Asus has to justify bumping up the already high price of the premium model.
Think about it for a sec, these are the same folks who asked $2500 for a 2060, 16Mb ram, and 512MB SSD when you can get it a lot cheaper.
Also, relatively speaking, you are paying $200 more for the extra 16GB of ram as the premium model already had a 1TB drive, xx60 GPU and Ryzen 9 CPU.
Yes you get the latest and greatest CPU/GPU but that's what you pay the premium price for already. At that price, you may as well go for Alienware or even Razer.
In the states it's a different story as it's priced a lot more reasonable. The 3060, 32GB, and faster CPU are nice, but $2700 is a huge price tag! They gotta do better.

Think of it this way, the price of the 2060 model in the states was actually *CHEAPER* than the 1660 Model here in Canada. Asus should do better.

Here's my issue:
I really like the zephyrus I have, but I have 60 days left to return it to costco if I want to jump to the 2021 model. However, look at my predicament:

1. Pay a little more for a weaker GPU but stronger CPU (which I really don't need as the current one is plenty powerful). Oh, and I believe wQHD which is nice, but not necessary for me.
2. Pay $1200 more to get a system that's overkill, especially in price for me to jump in.

There should have been something in the middle. The sad truth is the premium 2020 model with the 2060 / 1TB / Ryzen 9 is that middle ground. As I mentioned beforer, that was the deal to get.
what about this one coming out soon?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/15263757
ASUS ROG Strix G17 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Eclipse Grey (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060)
for $1799
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1841 posts
946 upvotes
Bierno wrote: what about this one coming out soon?
ASUS ROG Strix G17 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Eclipse Grey (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060)
for $1799
The Strix aint the same as the Zephyrus, though. I was strictly talking Zephyrus line. The new TUF is more interesting to me, though (shame they put intel in there):
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/15263761
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
nambit wrote: The Strix aint the same as the Zephyrus, though. I was strictly talking Zephyrus line. The new TUF is more interesting to me, though (shame they put intel in there):
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/15263761
I got a TUF 17" with the same specs as the one here for $1500. I think a 14" should be no more than $1400, maybe $1350.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Oct 19, 2006
752 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
hum....I got in on the lenovo Y540 is this a better option?
Nov 21, 2009
6 posts
Bierno wrote: what about this one coming out soon?
for $1799
I highly doubt that price is real. I have checked Reddit's list and looking at previous pricing, it is way too cheap and anything that sounds too good to be true usually isn't. I would expect Tuf 17.3" to be priced in that range, not a Strix. But who knows, just my thoughts.
Nov 21, 2009
6 posts
lorax1284 wrote: I got a TUF 17" with the same specs as the one here for $1500. I think a 14" should be no more than $1400, maybe $1350.
Where did you buy it?
Nov 21, 2009
6 posts
nambit wrote: Very true, however Asus has to justify bumping up the already high price of the premium model.

Here's my issue:

I picked one of these up today from Visions for 1799+tax. This was the last one they had in that store.
Dec 10, 2009
5 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
Wow this looks like the winner to me! I don't need a gaming laptop, but I do want something that can manage a lot of applications and should have a long shelf life.

In the 7ish hours of research I've done, have not seen a laptop with this much guts for under $1,800. The new ones coming out will be more powerful but I'm guessing easily over $2,000.

The only weakness I see is no Thunderbolt port, but still has USB-C of course. Checks all the other boxes for me: good CPU, 16MB Ram, SSD, slim, good battery.

I just called my local Visions, which does not have it in stock but can place an order for you in-store. Anyone have experience with Visions' warrantees? Are they reasonably priced and inclusive?
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
KennyTKO wrote: Thanks OP! Picked up an open-box model for $1,299 and threw all the BestBuy gift cards I had at it. Great laptop
Is it still a maximum of 2 gift cards you can use for online and in-store/curbside pickup?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
brar47 wrote: Where did you buy it?
Best Buy canada... in September. I don't think the model is still available, the only downside is how loud the fans are under load, but it's a great machine.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Nov 21, 2009
6 posts
lorax1284 wrote: Best Buy canada... in September. I don't think the model is still available, the only downside is how loud the fans are under load, but it's a great machine.
I can't be sure but from a little bit of research I have done, but I think you must be confusing the model numbers coz RTX 3070 models just came out.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1510 posts
994 upvotes
CALGARY
KennyTKO wrote: Thanks OP! Picked up an open-box model for $1,299 and threw all the BestBuy gift cards I had at it. Great laptop
Planning to pick an Open Box for same price. How was the Open Box condition? Does it meet your expectations?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)