[Best Buy] ASUS RT-AX56U Wireless AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router - 129$

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2021 4:18 pm
[OP]
May 6, 2019
37 posts
98 upvotes

[Best Buy] ASUS RT-AX56U Wireless AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router - 129$

ASUS Wireless AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router (RT-AX56U/CA)

Detailed Specification and Features is mentioned on ASUS product page:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/R ... fications/

• Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) enabled router with 80MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM lets you enjoy fast downloading, streaming or gaming
• Dual-band Wi-Fi with speeds up to 574Mbps (2.4 GHz) and 1201Mbps (5GHz) for uninterrupted connectivity
• Backwards compatibility supports all older Wi-Fi devices, including those compatible with Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac), Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n), and earlier Wi-Fi versions (802.11a/b/g)
• MU-MIMO support along with OFDMA techniques allocates channels and allows multiple devices to communicate with the router simultaneously
• ASUS AiMesh Wi-Fi system connectivity extends coverage to your whole home (additional mesh devices sold separately)
• Trend Micro's lifetime AiProtection ensures the safety and security of the network for all connected devices
Last edited by Jaip22 on Jan 24th, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
59 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6031 posts
5865 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Can't find any info but does this support open VPN?
Mar 25, 2013
509 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
I would wait on wifi 6. A lot of the wifi 6 routers are on sale because wifi 6e was just announced and will replace these routers.
DroidKid
Oct 1, 2020
88 posts
90 upvotes
droidkid wrote: I would wait on wifi 6. A lot of the wifi 6 routers are on sale because wifi 6e was just announced and will replace these routers.
Dang what the heck I just got a wifi 6 router.
Sep 13, 2011
965 posts
622 upvotes
Québec
droidkid wrote: I would wait on wifi 6. A lot of the wifi 6 routers are on sale because wifi 6e was just announced and will replace these routers.
that's a wifi6 router. If you mean 6e, don't hold your breath. Wifi6e will not be available in Canada for at least 2 years.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10286 posts
6634 upvotes
elgros4 wrote: that's a wifi6 router. If you mean 6e, don't hold your breath. Wifi6e will not be available in Canada for at least 2 years.
I tend to agree with this. I'll see it when I see it, and before then, Wifi6 is a solid reality now.

...For example, I know some people have been holding out for Ryzen 5000 series....but now there's supply delays / bottleneck. i.e Hands on the hardware that you want vs when they're supposed to be out are two rather different matters.
Mar 25, 2013
509 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
A bunch of WIFI 6E routers were annocued at CES. I mean if your really in need of upgrading your current system then absoultly this is a great deal. But for anyone who has a good WIFI 5 (AC) setup right now I wouldn't make the move just yet.
DroidKid
Jul 6, 2009
323 posts
55 upvotes
Red Deer AB
Would this be a good choice as a wired repeater for my basement. ?
2010 Contest Wins :D

T45 Tassimo Brewer - Tassimo Canada - 06 May
FIFA Wallpaper I-Coke May 13
FIFA COKE soccer ball I-Coke May 13
Coke t-shirt I-Coke Nov 8
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
1609 posts
353 upvotes
Got this and set it up, and my USB linksys wifi could not received any internet connection. It says it's connected but no internet. I ended up returning it. Does anyone had this problem?
No links or solicitations through sigs
Mar 25, 2013
509 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
huckleberry wrote: Would this be a good choice as a wired repeater for my basement. ?
Do you by chance have another asus router? I ask because you could the asus Ai mesh feature.

I currently have 2 asus routers in mesh mode they work fantastic.
DroidKid
Sep 13, 2011
965 posts
622 upvotes
Québec
droidkid wrote: A bunch of WIFI 6E routers were annocued at CES. I mean if your really in need of upgrading your current system then absoultly this is a great deal. But for anyone who has a good WIFI 5 (AC) setup right now I wouldn't make the move just yet.
Like I wrote a ton of times before. Wifi6E use a geolocalisation database, there not one in Canada. For more info:

https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-sci ... vices.html
Jul 6, 2009
323 posts
55 upvotes
Red Deer AB
No, just a modem/wifi router
2010 Contest Wins :D

T45 Tassimo Brewer - Tassimo Canada - 06 May
FIFA Wallpaper I-Coke May 13
FIFA COKE soccer ball I-Coke May 13
Coke t-shirt I-Coke Nov 8
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1973 posts
1313 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a FYI, this isn't supported by Merlin, only the AX58 and AX88 are.

I think the x6 series are usually Asus' lower end models.

Oops, missed them
Last edited by NoCountry4RFDer on Jan 24th, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2007
4792 posts
1904 upvotes
Scarborough
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: Just a FYI, this isn't supported by Merlin, only the AX58 and AX88 are.

Hmmm? I can see the RT-AX56U listed on Merlin's page.
Mar 2, 2010
4 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: Just a FYI, this isn't supported by Merlin, only the AX58 and AX88 are.

AX56U does have Merlin support.
I have two of them and they work fine even with the beta firmware.
Jul 27, 2017
170 posts
193 upvotes
IMHO you will only see the true benefits of Wifi 6 today if:

- You have really fast internet (1Gbps) AND
- You have Wifi 6 devices AND / OR
- You have a lot of them (a mix of Wifi 5 / 6 devices generally won't do)

Apart from the speed boost which is well above most people's internet speed limits anyway (so many older routers will do just as well), a lot of the Wifi 6 benefits has to do with juggling multiple devices effectively and those have to be Wifi 6 enabled too. In other words, most people would not benefit from a Wifi 6 routers today.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1973 posts
1313 upvotes
Ottawa
ASharp wrote: Hmmm? I can see the RT-AX56U listed on Merlin's page.
zhibinlu wrote: AX56U does have Merlin support.
I have two of them and they work fine even with the beta firmware.
Oops, my bad, was looking at the current firmware but missed the beta ones
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8894 posts
1915 upvotes
London
Other than support of Wifi6, I do not think the AX56 will out perform the AC86U
Dec 26, 2006
54 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I got this yesterday as a beefier replacement for my ISP provided Hitron CGNM-2250. I have about 19 network clients now with all my smart home stuff, so wanted something a bit more powerful. I put Merlin on it and it seems to work well. I wouldn’t upgrade solely for the wifi 6 aspect, for reasons already stated above, but as an upgrade for an ISP provided gateway (in bridge mode), I found this a pretty good deal and price.

I also like ASUS’ support for GPL code for their firmwares, and the router app is pretty slick where you can access all the same configuration options as the WebUI as well as see bandwidth/CPU/Temp measurements.