• Nov 25th, 2020 9:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4227 posts
1673 upvotes
Parry Sound

[Best Buy] Asus RT-AX58u AX3000 WiFi6 wireless router - $189.99

This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
53 replies
Sep 7, 2012
14 posts
2 upvotes
I got an AX-56U at $129.99 plus tax at Canada Computer due to an in-store price error last week. Just debating whether I should return it and get the 58U instead. Will appreciate it if anyone can provide some advice on that.
Nov 17, 2014
456 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can I buy two of these and use as mesh?
Aug 7, 2012
198 posts
18 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Might be in different leagues, but how does this compare to the ax6000 that's on sale for 350 right now? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/13204531 .
Would the ax6000 be the better future proofing buy? Especially living in a condominium with many networks around.
Feb 2, 2017
435 posts
501 upvotes
xSonic wrote: Might be in different leagues, but how does this compare to the ax6000 that's on sale for 350 right now? https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/13204531 .
Would the ax6000 be the better future proofing buy? Especially living in a condominium with many networks around.
If you don't need a router now and want something future proof then wait for the new routers with 6GHZ channel. Some news sites said new models should drop in December.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2730 posts
2260 upvotes
Toronto
timbertick wrote: Can I buy two of these and use as mesh?
"This little Wi-Fi machine delivers a lot more than its compact design suggests. It has a ton of useful features and the support for the venerable 160 MHz channel bandwidth. Featuring Asus’s AiMesh, you can use a couple of hardware units as (part of) a versatile Wi-Fi mesh system."

Asus RT-AX3000 and RT-AX58U Review: A Little Excellent AiMesh Pair
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4227 posts
1673 upvotes
Parry Sound
timbertick wrote: Can I buy two of these and use as mesh?
Yes, but in my experience you won't need one unless your property is greater than 3000sqft.

Just note, they're dual-band so the backhaul will be sharing the 5ghz band.

It would be best to hardwire one to the other for wired backhaul (I believe this is possible, not entirely sure).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4227 posts
1673 upvotes
Parry Sound
jaydubz wrote: If you don't need a router now and want something future proof then wait for the new routers with 6GHZ channel. Some news sites said new models should drop in December.
I've heard first half of 2021. It's worth the wait if you don't need a new router at the moment.

However, if you do need a new router then this one is one of the best for the price.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2730 posts
2260 upvotes
Toronto
jaydubz wrote: If you don't need a router now and want something future proof then wait for the new routers with 6GHZ channel. Some news sites said new models should drop in December.
MayorOfToronto wrote: I've heard first half of 2021. It's worth the wait if you don't need a new router at the moment.

However, if you do need a new router then this one is one of the best for the price.
The use of the 6GHz wireless band for Wi-Fi routers in Canada still has to be approved.

Canadian WIFI6E consulation has begun
Feb 14, 2006
555 posts
493 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
redflagdealsguy wrote: Skip this for the RT-AC86U currently on sale, or the AX86U eventually on sale.

I've decided the niche for this OP device is almost entirely squeezed out by the above two devices.

Almost entirely squeezed out.
Fwiw I read ax86 is going on sale in a day or two about $70 off. Wait and see.
May 3, 2018
196 posts
306 upvotes
thought RFDers are complaining about the 2.4Ghz issue for the RT-AC86U.
is it resolved now?
Aug 14, 2017
64 posts
22 upvotes
Just got one of these off amazon yesterday and it is brutal. My devices connect fine after I set up my SSID and password, however when I start changing any other settings such as port forwarding, or assign static IP addresses to devices nothing will connect to the router after it reboots when applying the settings.

Tried resetting the router 3 different times and doing one thing at a time and same thing issue. Did a firmware upgrade as well and same thing. Also tried forgetting my wifi settings on my laptop and phone and I just get an error message saying "cannot connect to network".

Maybe I got a dud?
Nov 17, 2014
456 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Isnt Ax92u a better device than AX 86U ?
Apr 7, 2006
313 posts
275 upvotes
Tikob25 wrote: Just got one of these off amazon yesterday and it is brutal. My devices connect fine after I set up my SSID and password, however when I start changing any other settings such as port forwarding, or assign static IP addresses to devices nothing will connect to the router after it reboots when applying the settings.

Tried resetting the router 3 different times and doing one thing at a time and same thing issue. Did a firmware upgrade as well and same thing. Also tried forgetting my wifi settings on my laptop and phone and I just get an error message saying "cannot connect to network".

Maybe I got a dud?
I got mine yesterday too and port forwarding works fine for me. I did put merlin firmware on it though.

Just an FYI if your modem has a built in router then you should be setting it to bridge mode. Double NAT and port forwarding don't go well together.