Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Asus RT-AX58u AX3000 WiFi6 wireless router - $189.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 9:23 am
Newbie
Jan 29, 2013
47 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone using this to supplement their Bell HH3000? I've sat on the DSLreports forums for a while and can't seem to have any luck with a workaround to get Internet + TV working with a "personal" router (only just the Internet part)

Only interim solution is to double-NAT, which...yeah, no
Newbie
Nov 23, 2020
1 posts
This review was back in February. There was a firmware update October 20 so should have addressed the issues. Using a wired back channel frees up the 5GHz WIFI6 channel so probably not an issue for most people. About to buy one of these so can't comment further at this point.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4223 posts
1672 upvotes
Parry Sound
crayz016 wrote: Anyone using this to supplement their Bell HH3000? I've sat on the DSLreports forums for a while and can't seem to have any luck with a workaround to get Internet + TV working with a "personal" router (only just the Internet part)

Only interim solution is to double-NAT, which...yeah, no
If you have no choice but to use the HH3000 then you can just put the router in the DMZ of the HH to bypass the NAT of the HH.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4223 posts
1672 upvotes
Parry Sound
timbertick wrote: Isnt Ax92u a better device than AX 86U ?
You guys are talking about devices that are much more expensive...
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Newbie
Jan 29, 2013
47 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote: If you have no choice but to use the HH3000 then you can just put the router in the DMZ of the HH to bypass the NAT of the HH.
Never seems to fully work when I've attempted in the past.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 18, 2008
7870 posts
1799 upvotes
Mont-Royal
wow this looks like a bad deal from the comments i read it. Better pass and buy an air fryer
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jr. Member
Jan 12, 2017
174 posts
55 upvotes
Any recommendation of long range and stable ASUS router for normal wfh usage? My internet is 60M now. Around 15 devices connecting to a modem/router from service provider. Router is located at a corner of the main floor. Don't need streaming or gaming. Has very few blind spots with weak Wifi signal. Overall is still fine. Already used one extender on 2nd floor. Do have many smart devices and it's going to increase.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
1143 posts
775 upvotes
Any good router on sale in 90-$120 range?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2702 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
redondo2017 wrote: Any recommendation of long range and stable ASUS router for normal wfh usage? My internet is 60M now. Around 15 devices connecting to a modem/router from service provider. Router is located at a corner of the main floor. Don't need streaming or gaming. Has very few blind spots with weak Wifi signal. Overall is still fine. Already used one extender on 2nd floor. Do have many smart devices and it's going to increase.
RT-AC86U

Do you have any WiFi 6 devices? Or planning to?
Jr. Member
Jan 12, 2017
174 posts
55 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: RT-AC86U

Do you have any WiFi 6 devices? Or planning to?
no, what devices are WiFi 6 on the market now? I doubt it will be many even in 2021.
Newbie
Aug 30, 2009
95 posts
58 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
If you don't have any AX-capable clients, imho it's pointless to spend money on AX-capable routers *right now*. The AX hardware will be dropping in price fast, just like AC-models did, no point in spending big bucks now. And if you decide to get the AX router at the moment, do consider Xiaomi AX3600 model.

If you don't want to mess much with the setup, their WebUI and app are decent and easy to use. If you do want to mess with the setup, you can install the international firmware with all the Xiaomi bloatware stripped and there's a glimmer of hope of OpenWrt being available for that model some time in the future.

And you may want to consider OpenWrt not just because it's open source, transparent and free, gets updated with security fixes and improvements multiple times a year for *all* supported routers, but because it's like a smart-phone where you can install different additional apps, like ad-blocking, encrypted DNS, different VPNs (both client and server, so you could connect to your home network from anywhere), etc, compared to the stock firmware which is more like a dumb-phone, where you are limited to selection of the apps by what has manufacturer shipped.
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2011
895 posts
534 upvotes
Québec
Dhanushan wrote: RT-AX56U (AX1800) is a single-band router, only 2 external antennas and lacks support for the 160 MHz channel width.
RT-AX58U (AX3000, 2402Mbps + 574Mbps) is a dual-band router

I would get the RT-AX58U, it can handle more devices and has more area coverage

Asus RT-AX3000 and RT-AX58U Review: A Little Excellent AiMesh Pair
according to it's spects, RT-AX56U is a dual band router:
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/R ... fications/
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2011
895 posts
534 upvotes
Québec
shabby wrote: Whats stopping someone from buying a wifi6e router from the us?
Once your connected to the WIFI6E database, your GPS localization will prohibit most channels to operate.
Also, it would be illegal and may get your router seized.

Top