Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

ASUS TUF 15.6 (AMD Ryzen 9 4900H/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 2060) $1699

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 12:44 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 11, 2019
36 posts
118 upvotes

[Best Buy] ASUS TUF 15.6 (AMD Ryzen 9 4900H/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 2060) $1699

Not on sale but good value taking into consideration Ryzen 4900H and RTX 2060 non Max Q. Pretty sure it will be sold out soon. But good value if someone looking for a powerful gaming laptop.
31 replies
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2016
561 posts
1030 upvotes
Whitby
I would buy but apparently there's apparently a rule that gaming laptops have to look hideous
Last edited by ajacian81 on Jul 16th, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2016
156 posts
367 upvotes
Not bad for 4900H and proper RTX 2060. Performance should be really amazing.
Jr. Member
Dec 26, 2018
199 posts
276 upvotes
ajacian81 wrote: I would buy but apparently there's apparently a rule that gaming laptops have to look hideous
The RGB is defeatable in the Armory Crate app. Once that's off it mostly just looks like any other notebook. :)
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2016
561 posts
1030 upvotes
Whitby
The other thing is, this is a laptop but it's not portable. 3 cell battery and weighing more than 5 pounds.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14952 posts
11399 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
It's a gaming laptop folks!! Not a slim jim laptop.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2005
2330 posts
520 upvotes
York
ajacian81 wrote: The other thing is, this is a laptop but it's not portable. 3 cell battery and weighing more than 5 pounds.
Gaming laptops are not designed to be portable. Some of the Zephyrus series is but they compromise in other areas such as lower powered CPU/GPU to reduce temps and size.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2016
156 posts
367 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: You can get the Dell G5, which I think is very comparable but also has Wi-Fi 6 to this one for $1620+ tax with the 10% off coupon, plus 2% Rakuten.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/cty/pdp ... 71257ddc34
That's a 6 core Intel processor while this is a 8 core AMD processor. This will blow that machine out of the water. Plus the battery life with Ryzen processors are far more better.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2222 posts
1574 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
Hyper9 wrote: That's a 6 core Intel processor while this is a 8 core AMD processor. This will blow that machine out of the water. Plus the battery life with Ryzen processors are far more better.
It won't "blow it out of the water" in games, which is what these laptops are for, and I don't buy a gaming laptop for battery life, I buy one so I can easily take it with me between residences or to a hotel etc. Either way it's $80 cheaper + 2% rakuten, so less cores for less money.
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2016
156 posts
367 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: It won't "blow it out of the water" in games, which is what these laptops are for, and I don't buy a gaming laptop for battery life, I buy one so I can easily take it with me between residences or to a hotel etc. Either way it's $80 cheaper + 2% rakuten, so less cores for less money.
Well it does blow the Intel one in gaming and I like to game on airplanes so battery life matters to me as the electrical socket in the plane cuts power when I plug in my gaming laptop. Either way being cheaper is not always good value for money.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2222 posts
1574 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
Hyper9 wrote: Well it does blow the Intel one in gaming and I like to game on airplanes so battery life matters to me as the electrical socket in the plane cuts power when I plug in my gaming laptop. Either way being cheaper is not always good value for money.
You're making broad strokes saying "it does blow the intel one in gaming" - do you have some actual data to back that up? I'm not saying it's a bad CPU, I'm saying in gaming the Intel CPU is just as capable. The video card is far more important. I have the 9750H version and it plays everything I can throw at it, I challenge you to find me a game that the Intel isn't within 5% of with the same GPU.

i7-10750H - Average Bench 85.6%
Ryzen 9 4900HS - Average Bench 87.4%

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... vsm1185620

Quote from the link above:

"Ryzen 4000 Mobile CPUs offer benchmark busting multi-core performance on the go, but marketing hype aside, it’s unclear how this will translate to real world performance. Sixteen threads are great for beating benchmarks including UserBenchmark 64-core, Cinebench, Blender-CPU and Handbrake-CPU but gamers need performance in the games that they actually play. At launch, the top GPU available in a 4000 series laptop is the RTX 2060. Since the GPU is largely responsible for overall gaming performance, the Ryzen 4000 laptops will offer mid tier gaming performance at best. Pairing stronger GPUs would be suboptimal because the Ryzen gaming bottleneck becomes increasingly severe with more powerful GPUs. Streamers and media producers, who may have historically benefited from high core counts, are better off using the GPU (NVENC or QuickSync) for encoding. Leading media creation applications including both DaVinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere Pro are largely GPU bound. With low power consumption and high core counts, the 4000 range, on paper at least, is a perfect fit for the datacenter. AMD should focus on delivering a platform that offers performance where end users actually need it rather than targeting inexperienced gamers with the same old "moar cores" mantra. From a gamer’s perspective, the best feature of the 4000 series laptops is the absence of the equally hyped 5000 series GPUs. Prospective gaming laptop buyers will find lower latency (and therefore better gaming) CPUs combined with faster GPUs at similar price points. "

Now this is generalized but so is your "blows it out of the water" comment as well, it's simply not true. Same GPU, RAM etc and they are comparable, more cores doesn't translate to better gaming performance.

Edit - here is an even better deal with an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, $1440 + tax and rakuten, with GPU that is comparable to 2060 without ray tracing.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... 51d1131838
Member
Dec 24, 2017
398 posts
373 upvotes
God I wish this laptop had a tiny bit better build quality would snap it up in a heartbeat but I've learned my lesson over the years and refuse to buy another laptop with sub par construction, it's just not a good experience.
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2009
827 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
Alexdubzz wrote: God I wish this laptop had a tiny bit better build quality would snap it up in a heartbeat but I've learned my lesson over the years and refuse to buy another laptop with sub par construction, it's just not a good experience.
Agree, the Asus TUF line is very attractive with it's specs and price, but many complaints on YouTube with it's thermal performance. It maybe Ok under normal usage rather than going through stress test, but I do expect a little better build quality if I spend nearly 2 grand on a computer.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 27, 2007
550 posts
831 upvotes
Trois-Rivieres
iamsiege wrote: You're making broad strokes saying "it does blow the intel one in gaming" - do you have some actual data to back that up? I'm not saying it's a bad CPU, I'm saying in gaming the Intel CPU is just as capable. The video card is far more important. I have the 9750H version and it plays everything I can throw at it, I challenge you to find me a game that the Intel isn't within 5% of with the same GPU.

i7-10750H - Average Bench 85.6%
Ryzen 9 4900HS - Average Bench 87.4%

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... vsm1185620

Quote from the link above:

"Ryzen 4000 Mobile CPUs offer benchmark busting multi-core performance on the go, but marketing hype aside, it’s unclear how this will translate to real world performance. Sixteen threads are great for beating benchmarks including UserBenchmark 64-core, Cinebench, Blender-CPU and Handbrake-CPU but gamers need performance in the games that they actually play. At launch, the top GPU available in a 4000 series laptop is the RTX 2060. Since the GPU is largely responsible for overall gaming performance, the Ryzen 4000 laptops will offer mid tier gaming performance at best. Pairing stronger GPUs would be suboptimal because the Ryzen gaming bottleneck becomes increasingly severe with more powerful GPUs. Streamers and media producers, who may have historically benefited from high core counts, are better off using the GPU (NVENC or QuickSync) for encoding. Leading media creation applications including both DaVinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere Pro are largely GPU bound. With low power consumption and high core counts, the 4000 range, on paper at least, is a perfect fit for the datacenter. AMD should focus on delivering a platform that offers performance where end users actually need it rather than targeting inexperienced gamers with the same old "moar cores" mantra. From a gamer’s perspective, the best feature of the 4000 series laptops is the absence of the equally hyped 5000 series GPUs. Prospective gaming laptop buyers will find lower latency (and therefore better gaming) CPUs combined with faster GPUs at similar price points. "

Now this is generalized but so is your "blows it out of the water" comment as well, it's simply not true. Same GPU, RAM etc and they are comparable, more cores doesn't translate to better gaming performance.

Edit - here is an even better deal with an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, $1440 + tax and rakuten, with GPU that is comparable to 2060 without ray tracing.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... 51d1131838
This is the right site to compare cpus...not that paid by intel scam userbenchmark

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3657vs3694 so yes the amd crushes the intel


some reading...(picked the first result on google but plenty of results googling it) https://www.techquila.co.in/userbenchma ... rocessors/
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2222 posts
1574 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
hackett40 wrote: This is the right site to compare cpus...not that paid by intel scam userbenchmark

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3657vs3694 so yes the amd crushes the intel


some reading...(picked the first result on google but plenty of results googling it) https://www.techquila.co.in/userbenchma ... rocessors/
Fine, we can use that site but again those are CPU benchmarks, they aren't gaming. In the single thread score the Intel actually beats the 4900H, and an 8 core processor should beat 6 by 33%, but this one does it by about 50%. However, in gaming neither CPU blows either out of the water with a discrete GPU, that's what I was saying - if you are doing content creation get the 4900H, if you are gaming (which is what this thread is about, a gaming laptop) then I would buy one of the Dells (yes even the AMD one) because it's cheaper and I think the G5's are also better quality.
Sr. Member
Apr 21, 2017
547 posts
649 upvotes
Chelsea
Upvoted for specs ..

Why tf are there 20 gaming laptop deal/day with SLI 2080ti @1600 with cashback, but if I try to DIY a rig with a 1660ti I end up @2500 + my left kidney...
Jr. Member
Oct 28, 2016
156 posts
367 upvotes
iamsiege wrote: You're making broad strokes saying "it does blow the intel one in gaming" - do you have some actual data to back that up? I'm not saying it's a bad CPU, I'm saying in gaming the Intel CPU is just as capable. The video card is far more important. I have the 9750H version and it plays everything I can throw at it, I challenge you to find me a game that the Intel isn't within 5% of with the same GPU.

i7-10750H - Average Bench 85.6%
Ryzen 9 4900HS - Average Bench 87.4%

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... vsm1185620

Quote from the link above:

"Ryzen 4000 Mobile CPUs offer benchmark busting multi-core performance on the go, but marketing hype aside, it’s unclear how this will translate to real world performance. Sixteen threads are great for beating benchmarks including UserBenchmark 64-core, Cinebench, Blender-CPU and Handbrake-CPU but gamers need performance in the games that they actually play. At launch, the top GPU available in a 4000 series laptop is the RTX 2060. Since the GPU is largely responsible for overall gaming performance, the Ryzen 4000 laptops will offer mid tier gaming performance at best. Pairing stronger GPUs would be suboptimal because the Ryzen gaming bottleneck becomes increasingly severe with more powerful GPUs. Streamers and media producers, who may have historically benefited from high core counts, are better off using the GPU (NVENC or QuickSync) for encoding. Leading media creation applications including both DaVinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere Pro are largely GPU bound. With low power consumption and high core counts, the 4000 range, on paper at least, is a perfect fit for the datacenter. AMD should focus on delivering a platform that offers performance where end users actually need it rather than targeting inexperienced gamers with the same old "moar cores" mantra. From a gamer’s perspective, the best feature of the 4000 series laptops is the absence of the equally hyped 5000 series GPUs. Prospective gaming laptop buyers will find lower latency (and therefore better gaming) CPUs combined with faster GPUs at similar price points. "

Now this is generalized but so is your "blows it out of the water" comment as well, it's simply not true. Same GPU, RAM etc and they are comparable, more cores doesn't translate to better gaming performance.

Edit - here is an even better deal with an AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, $1440 + tax and rakuten, with GPU that is comparable to 2060 without ray tracing.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/gaming- ... 51d1131838
Man you are being such an Intel fanboy now. First of all don't know where are you getting your facts from but in Cinebench R20 Intel 10750H gets 484 score vs AMD 4900H 530 score. That is almost a 10% gain over Intel. Now that AMD has scored higher, then in a typical fanboy fashion you are like "no no it's has to be 33% higher to win". If two athletes run 100 meters race, one who crosses the line first wins, what you are saying is no that will not be considered a win because he didn't beat the opponent by a margin of xx seconds.

Secondly, if we compare integrated graphics alone the Intel ones are no match to the integrated Radeon Vega Graphics. They can play far more games in more capable way than what Intel has to offer.

Lastly, nowhere did I say that your 9750H or any other Intel system cannot play the AAA titles, those are your words. I just said that for the price the 4900H and RTX 2060 is a better combo. Maybe you are lucky enough to have multiple laptops for multiple occasions, but some people will be more than satisfied to have this machine for all their needs. In schools and colleges I have seen kids carry bulky laptops all time because they can play best of games and still be able to do their everyday tasks.

The Asus TUF line is always sold out at every retailer because these are good machines for the money and you will rarely see any open boxes on retailers websites. Go to Best Buy and see how many Intel variants of Asus laptops are there in open box category, you will get the idea if this machine is worth or not.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
2222 posts
1574 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
Hyper9 wrote: Man you are being such an Intel fanboy now. First of all don't know where are you getting your facts from but in Cinebench R20 Intel 10750H gets 484 score vs AMD 4900H 530 score. That is almost a 10% gain over Intel. Now that AMD has scored higher, then in a typical fanboy fashion you are like "no no it's has to be 33% higher to win". If two athletes run 100 meters race, one who crosses the line first wins, what you are saying is no that will not be considered a win because he didn't beat the opponent by a margin of xx seconds.

Secondly, if we compare integrated graphics alone the Intel ones are no match to the integrated Radeon Vega Graphics. They can play far more games in more capable way than what Intel has to offer.

Lastly, nowhere did I say that your 9750H or any other Intel system cannot play the AAA titles, those are your words. I just said that for the price the 4900H and RTX 2060 is a better combo. Maybe you are lucky enough to have multiple laptops for multiple occasions, but some people will be more than satisfied to have this machine for all their needs. In schools and colleges I have seen kids carry bulky laptops all time because they can play best of games and still be able to do their everyday tasks.

The Asus TUF line is always sold out at every retailer because these are good machines for the money and you will rarely see any open boxes on retailers websites. Go to Best Buy and see how many Intel variants of Asus laptops are there in open box category, you will get the idea if this machine is worth or not.
Yes, you got me, I'm an Intel fanboy as I type this on my AMD Ryzen 9 3950X system. :) And nowhere did I say anything about integrated graphics, those really aren't for even semi-serious gaming, but hey that's just my opinion. I also suggested an AMD based alternative, so yep, total fanboy. And Cinebench is not gaming, which is what I was basing this on.
Newbie
Nov 21, 2018
81 posts
183 upvotes
GTA
Both you clowns arguing AMD vs Intel for laptop gaming CPUs are fanboying hard.

Here's the facts: for gaming purposes, there is a negligible difference between the CPUs. A 10th gen i7 vs a r7 4800h will perform within low single digit percentages of each other. An r9 4900h does nothing to change that either.

HOWEVER, if you are doing any productivity applications (a very small minority of gamers do), like video editing, CPU rendering etc, the Ryzen 4000 laptop CPUs DESTROY 10th gen Intel CPUs. In fact, these Ryzen 4000 laptop CPUs have performance on par with some of the best DESKTOP CPUs. They are insane! But really, the chances are if you are reading this, you don't do these tasks. As well, the price/performance on the AMD laptops is amazing, but if you are in a situation where you have two laptops with identical Nvidia GPUs and it is AMD vs Intel (at the same price point), I would just look up the laptop reviews for both models and make my decision based on built-in display, build quality, battery life, thermals.

The downside to AMD Ryzen 4000 laptops are that the best GPU you can find for them is the RTX 2060 non Max Q version, which is weak as hell compared to the best Intel/Nvidia offerings.

Top