Hot Deals

[Best Buy] ASUS TUF 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Fortress Grey (AMD Ryzen 9 4900H/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 2060) - $1,599.99

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9690 posts
5537 upvotes

[Best Buy] ASUS TUF 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Fortress Grey (AMD Ryzen 9 4900H/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 2060) - $1,599.99

Cons first:
Display panel sucks
Cooling is questionable
Plastic all over
No per-key RGB
No TB3
No PD
No USB4
Battery is below 50WH
Get ready for lugging the power brick

Pros:
Fast CPU
2 SO-DIMM slots
2 m.2 slots

If you need it, you need it.
25 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9690 posts
5537 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: What's the catch?

Attractive.
I got one reserved...still deciding if I want to buy it.

There's a lack of powerful mobile compute units / workstations (from the AMD offerings). Maybe I can use this for non-colour-critical work (e.g. VMs, data processing)...and if I need accurate colours, maybe I can live with the hassle of plugging an external monitor into it.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14617 posts
15453 upvotes
chatbox wrote: I got one reserved...still deciding if I want to buy it.

There's a lack of powerful mobile compute units / workstations (from the AMD offerings). Maybe I can use this for non-colour-critical work (e.g. VMs, data processing).
This is a very powerful CPU, with decent GPU compute for non-gaming.

PassMark: 19752

This rivals high-end CPUs from recent generations, and certainly many mid-tier CPUs.

It's nearly (2x) the compute of a 4500U, maybe an 80% delta.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9690 posts
5537 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: This is a very powerful CPU, with decent GPU compute for non-gaming.

PassMark: 19752

This rivals high-end CPUs from recent generations, and certainly many mid-tier CPUs.

It's nearly (2x) the compute of a 4500U, maybe an 80% delta.
Yeah, that's what I'm counting on...

The price per computational capability is really good here (excluding desktop units).
Aug 15, 2015
53 posts
46 upvotes
Windsor
I checked these out at best but....was really disappointed at the build quality...cheap plastic and so much flex if you try lifting it from one corner...but the price can't be beat just because of the 4800h...
“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
Dec 26, 2018
138 posts
170 upvotes
One thing to be aware of, a buddy bought one of these "RTX 2060" Asus AMD-based notebooks and the video card that he got was a MaxQ, something that doesn't show up in any of the marketing materials that I can find including on the Asus website.

That's not necessarily a deal breaker, you'd usually get a MaxQ in a notebook, but you'd also expect to find that mentioned somewhere in the details. I actually assumed it came with a full notebook version of the 2060 which is about 15-20% faster than the MaxQ. The 1660Ti (also MaxQ, I'd assume) models at a lower price are probably the better buy since ray tracing isn't likely to be practical with a 2060 MaxQ especially if you want to take advantage of the higher refresh screen.

NOTE - I'm going from the buddy's word on this, I assume the info came out of 3DMark or GPU-Z or otherwise and is reliable but if someone who has the notebook can provide a second source for this info it'd be appreciated.
Nov 21, 2018
37 posts
59 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: One thing to be aware of, a buddy bought one of these "RTX 2060" Asus AMD-based notebooks and the video card that he got was a MaxQ, something that doesn't show up in any of the marketing materials that I can find including on the Asus website.
That will happen when you don't do the research on the products you are buying. The smaller and/or thinner laptops use the Max Q GPUs. They are also paired with AMD HS CPUs, which are lower wattage (for example a r7 4800 HS instead of the r7 4800H).

The ASUS TUF laptop in this thread uses a regular mobile RTX 2060.

In any case, always do thorough research on things you spend decent amounts of money on and look at reviews so there are no big surprises.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9690 posts
5537 upvotes
I'll update the OP with some screenshots later on.

For now, here are some info:
  • This is a Ryzen 9 4900H (Not the HS)
  • Comes with RTX 2060 (not 2060 max-q), 1920 CUDA cores, boost clock of 1350MHz, 6GB GDDR6
  • Comes with a single SO-DIMM of 16GB 3200MHz RAM in one slot, and the other slot free for an additional module. (i.e. Single channel out of the box).
  • Yes, it's plastic AF...but feels light. (I know, 'light' is very subjective. To set the stage, I come from laptops such as W520, W541, M4700...heavy as hell)
Nov 19, 2017
746 posts
1744 upvotes
Toronto
I have this. Bought it 2 weeks ago when it was even cheaper at $1499, so I may go in to get the difference refunded back to me unless I decide to fully return it.

I can confirm its a full RTX 2060 and not a Max-Q. The dead giveaway for this is that its an H processor and not an HS. You also get a 48w battery in this one.

After using it for the last week, I feel the Ryzen 7 4800h, 16GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX 2060 version with a 90w battery is a much better option. Thats been on sale for $1399-$1499.
Dec 26, 2018
138 posts
170 upvotes
Anelephant wrote: That will happen when you don't do the research on the products you are buying. The smaller and/or thinner laptops use the Max Q GPUs. They are also paired with AMD HS CPUs, which are lower wattage (for example a r7 4800 HS instead of the r7 4800H).

The ASUS TUF laptop in this thread uses a regular mobile RTX 2060.

In any case, always do thorough research on things you spend decent amounts of money on and look at reviews so there are no big surprises.
Thanks for the only slightly condescending response to my post that was, and this may surprise you, prevent other people from being surprised if they buy an Asus AMD-based notebook, but i stand by my claim that the Asus information about these AMD notebooks (of which there are multiple families and multiple models within families) doesn't seem to specify when the RTX 2060 GPUs are MaxQ. Please, show me where that's indicated for this HS model:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic ... /Features/

You can check the Tech Specs tab as well, I don't mind, I did actually click it during my lack of research on the notebook I clearly indicated I wasn't even the one who bought. I even used, yes, Ctrl-F rather than just skimming! And on 'max' rather than variations of 'maxQ' or 'max-Q' to make sure I didn't miss it somehow.

And if you intended your response to be a shot at lack of research by my buddy you're basing the comment on nothing since I was the one who assumed it would be a full version, I don't know what he expected. I mentioned that in the original post, too.

If this particular model comes with an actual RTX 2060 that's great, I was specifically looking for confirmation on that one way or the other. I just don't want to see someone get something they weren't expecting if they buy a notebook that appears to be similar to this one that claims to have a full 2060 but doesn't.

Note - just saw the post by OVOSound below, his is the second implication that there's a 100% correlation between HS CPUs and MaxQ GPUs, can someone document that correlation from a reliable source or is that just based on the small handful of models that are currently available? Far as I know there isn't any reason an HS can't be paired with a non-MaxQ and companies releasing intermediate tiers of products isn't exactly new in this market (RTX Super, for instance).
Apr 23, 2020
12 posts
78 upvotes
RaySmith wrote: ...the Asus information about these AMD notebooks (of which there are multiple families and multiple models within families) doesn't seem to specify when the RTX 2060 GPUs are MaxQ. Please, show me where that's indicated for this HS model:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/ROG-Republic ... /Features/
The 65w rating on the specs page indirectly indicates it's the Max-Q version, as a regular RTX 2060 is 80-90w. But seriously, how many people are going to go to that level of detail? That's really slimy move by Asus.