Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

ASUS TUF 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Fortress Grey (AMD Ryzen 9 4900H/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/GeForce RTX 2060) - $1,599.99

Mar 7, 2011
14 posts
5 upvotes
Montr
Don't let the cooling vent reports fool you, been using this laptop for a week, added a Samsung 970 evo pro 1TB and it works great. Also, just a heads up this laptop comes with a realtek 8822ce network card, which as issues with mesh style network setups, had to get an Intel network card replacement online as ASUS wouldn't switch out the card to another brand.

Also, to the first response in this thread, who said no USB4 no buy, USB4 hasn't actually made it's way to spec yet.

Also, someone commented on the ram, 16 gig 3200 mhz seems slow on paper but in use its blazing fast.

The ryzen 9 is worth it, between this or the ryzen 7 HS, chances are the ryzen HS may not be in stock until this crisis is 100% done with.

Originally I wanted the G14 but it never came into stock, this one did.
Mar 7, 2011
14 posts
5 upvotes
Montr
rfcclub wrote: I don't know this happen on TUF version also, but if you can stand this type of heatsink from Asuck so it's a good buy
Why are all the Ryzen based laptops sandbagged with the 2nd best GPUs while intel gets the best ones?
This heatsink in Ryzen laptop by Asus is a joke
Edited: The picture above is TUF, if I'm not wrong.
Nope that is the wrong pc. This is the cooling on the tuf laptop
Images
  • 20200717_165538.jpg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
Alright, just did a Furmark CPU and GPU stress test.

Outcome / opinion: High performance stability, but at rather high temperatures (* though likely not an issue in real workloads as workloads aren't aimed to generate maximum amount of heat...unlike Furmark / synthetic stress tests). Could the cooling be better? Sure. Is the cooling inadequate? Realistically, adequate.

Furmark was running with extreme burn-in and post FX checked, and msaa 8x. The CPU was mostly fluctuating around 3.1-3.3GHz at 94c while everything was in full load.

Capture14.PNG
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24775 posts
32479 upvotes
Jeffg1 wrote: Don't let the cooling vent reports fool you, been using this laptop for a week, added a Samsung 970 evo pro 1TB and it works great. Also, just a heads up this laptop comes with a realtek 8822ce network card, which as issues with mesh style network setups, had to get an Intel network card replacement online as ASUS wouldn't switch out the card to another brand.

Also, to the first response in this thread, who said no USB4 no buy, USB4 hasn't actually made it's way to spec yet.

Also, someone commented on the ram, 16 gig 3200 mhz seems slow on paper but in use its blazing fast.

The ryzen 9 is worth it, between this or the ryzen 7 HS, chances are the ryzen HS may not be in stock until this crisis is 100% done with.

Originally I wanted the G14 but it never came into stock, this one did.
The USB 4 comment was a joke.

Both you and @chatbox have provided valuable commentary. @chatbox is a quality contributor, as I'm sure you are.

I stand by my initial impressions, this is a solid buy, and with a desk cooling pad it would make an excellent desktop replacement and portable workstation.

Well done, gents.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Aug 3rd, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: The USB 4 comment was as joke.

Both you and @chatbox have provided valuable commentary. @chatbox is a quality contributor, as I'm sure you are.

I stand by my initial impressions, this is a solid buy, and with a desk cooling pad it would make an excellent desktop replacement and portable workstation.

Well done, gents.
Thanks for your kind words, sir.

Overall, I feel that this is a decent quality, high performance laptop with no bells and whistles at a very affordable budget:
1. Decent quality: As far as plastic builds go, there's nothing really wrong here. Does the keyboard flex a little? Yes, even a ThinkPad flexes. Does the lid /cover flex? Yes, more than I like...but acceptable.
2. High performance: 4900H, with the potential to go up to 64GB of RAM, and an RTX 2060 that scores almost 146 on OctaneBench. Can have 2 m.2 and 1 SATA-3 drives (that's why the battery is small at 48WH).
3. No animatrix lid, no per key RGB, no QHD.
4. For $1600...

If you look at the system from a non-gamer perspective (e.g. ignore all the 'This is a gaming system' marketing): This is an awesome workstation-like system (sans Quadro, 4 SO-DIMM slots, and 100% Adobe RGB panel) for non-creative productivity / development / lab work.

I just wish I saw the $1,499 deal...

If anyone is on the fence, it's definitely a machine that at least worth the time to try out for a few days to find out for yourself.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
Just reporting back about the 64GB memory. Got them this week and tested them. Working well so far.
Memory - 1.PNG
Memory - 2.PNG

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)