Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

ASUS Vivobook 15.6" FHD Laptop_Intel Core i5-8250U/256GB SSD/8GB RAM/Windows 10_$649

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2018 12:03 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
kasm wrote: If you want a number pad, you may want to go with this older (slower) model with a 1TB standard drive but $100 cheaper: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 71482.aspx?

Or the newer Ergolift mode with similar specs but $220 more: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 44960.aspx?
The older model is significantly poorer value for $100 less... only i5 7200 (dual core), non-FHD display, HDD... I would pass on that for $549... The newer model linked is what it is... significantly more $'s for similar spec.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4566 posts
1184 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
redflagkiller wrote: Used the vivobook for a few days for work, decent quality and specs for the price $650. Battery 3-5 hrs long with brightness 50-80% not intensive stuff...just charting and browsers running

Note: the power cable isnt very long compared to a mac
That battery life kind of sucks, I have a lenovo yoga with the same processor, ssd size and ram and I get between 8 and 10 hours of battery life which is phenomenal.
Feb 15, 2011
310 posts
96 upvotes
Is this capable of light gaming? Older stuff or indie stuff?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2089 posts
1562 upvotes
x-batman wrote: That battery life kind of sucks, I have a lenovo yoga with the same processor, ssd size and ram and I get between 8 and 10 hours of battery life which is phenomenal.
What is the cost of said Lenovo?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4566 posts
1184 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
shayne85 wrote: What is the cost of said Lenovo?
Provided by work (my personal laptop is a macbook). I can find out tomorrow
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1457 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
shayne85 wrote: If you want a laptop with a number pad with a good build quality get a Lenovo ThinkPad E585.

$700.40 before taxes ($824 with 15% off using the coupon code THINKPADSAV15). This is with a FHD 15.6” screen (1920x1070) and 8 GB RAM. The AMD Ryzen 5 2500u is almost on par with the Intel i5-8250 speed wise (based on benchmarks), but the Ryzen built in GPU is better. There is no SSD, only a 500 GB HDD. But you could buy a budget SSD for $50 and it’d be fast.

Ebates is currently only 2% cash back on Lenovo so you’d get $16 off but it has been frequently 8-12% cash back in the past 2 months. Wait for that cash back and order.
Link?
JS
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
redflagkiller wrote: Used the vivobook for a few days for work, decent quality and specs for the price $650. Battery 3-5 hrs long with brightness 50-80% not intensive stuff...just charting and browsers running

Note: the power cable isnt very long compared to a mac
Noticed a few posters are experiencing quite low battery up time (although I doubt it would ever get close to stated).

Not sure for Asus, but several manufacturers recommend "exercising" the battery for a few cycles (i.e. full charge>near discharge and then re-charge to full x 3). Regardless, follow the suggested "break in" procedure. Additionally, ensure Windows 10 running "background apps" are turned off if unused. Also, few need 100% processing power for the CPU (especially on battery power for basic browsing)... Go into Advanced power management settings and reduce % of Maximum CPU power. Depending on basic applications, this could be lowered into the 80's/90 and still be effective for browsing, etc. Power management settings should be considered with lower output battery(s) such as on this range of laptop.

Edit 12/09/18: Came across this tonight... In addition to above measures might help those on any Windows 10 based laptop with mediocre battery life.
"Increase your Windows laptop Battery Life_How-to Geek"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)