• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2018 8:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2007
131 posts
135 upvotes
GTA

[Best Buy] ASUS Wireless AC2900 Router (RT-AC86U) - $229.99

I missed this when it was on sale a few weeks ago, but looks like it's back. Picked one up to try mesh with my existing AC68U.

Sale Ends: January 25, 2018

Discussion from the last thread:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bu ... f-2160827/
Last edited by noodlesoup on Jan 19th, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1721 posts
163 upvotes
onatrio
have the asus rt n66u dark night router...
not sure if its the router but only getting approx. 1.88 mbps download speed...
so with this new router should be a lot better
thanks
using vmedia
Jan 10, 2008
219 posts
229 upvotes
quebec
I bought it. Solid router. Run stock firmware. Really happy to replace junk tplink archer c7. Router is in the basement and the range is good on the 2nd floor.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2010
2423 posts
1948 upvotes
Calgary
tk1000 wrote: Thanks for posting this deal. Please add the deal price to the subject (thread title) when posting deals.
Gee, hardly anyone else does. Why start now? (read: sarcasm)
In your pants!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2962 posts
981 upvotes
Toronto
dcjcdc wrote: have the asus rt n66u dark night router...
not sure if its the router but only getting approx. 1.88 mbps download speed...
so with this new router should be a lot better
thanks
using vmedia
I have the RT-N66U as well and it's still going strong after all these years. Are you sure it isn't your internet connection or perhaps try updating the firmware on the router?

I have a hard time justifying buying a new one until this one dies.

On another note, the RT-AC86U does look nice - decent price!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1721 posts
163 upvotes
onatrio
called the internet provider and when hooked directlt to modem without roter 35 mps..so its the router....only problem is that someone else installed for me so don't have login info to go in...tried admin admin but that's not it..correct would like to do update firmware..thinking youtube,,do a total reset and learn to setup router
marcsterr wrote: I have the RT-N66U as well and it's still going strong after all these years. Are you sure it isn't your internet connection or perhaps try updating the firmware on the router?

I have a hard time justifying buying a new one until this one dies.

On another note, the RT-AC86U does look nice - decent price!
[OP]
Jan 23, 2007
131 posts
135 upvotes
GTA
FatWallet wrote: Gee, hardly anyone else does. Why start now? (read: sarcasm)
Oops. Done.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4994 posts
1377 upvotes
Kitchener
Had it running for 2 weeks now and the 5ghz signal is strong everywhere in the house. Problem I did find is that the 2.4ghz band is not so great. Maybe something wrong with it
Sep 28, 2015
718 posts
545 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Drthorne wrote: Had it running for 2 weeks now and the 5ghz signal is strong everywhere in the house. Problem I did find is that the 2.4ghz band is not so great. Maybe something wrong with it
There are normally far more interference in 2.4g band than 5g. Try adjust the channels.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2454 posts
1040 upvotes
Montreal, QC
dcjcdc wrote: called the internet provider and when hooked directlt to modem without roter 35 mps..so its the router....only problem is that someone else installed for me so don't have login info to go in...tried admin admin but that's not it..correct would like to do update firmware..thinking youtube,,do a total reset and learn to setup router
setting a router is very easy. just download a tutorial if you need help. do that hard reset and go at it
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3965 posts
2955 upvotes
GTA
If you are thinking about getting one - act fast. Mississauga stores are pretty much out of stock. Canada Computers is out of stock and online is on back order.
Jul 15, 2009
587 posts
153 upvotes
PIcked this up today. Are there any tutorials out there for having this work alongside my Shaw router? Would this be considered a repeater?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3779 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto
dvsrydin wrote: PIcked this up today. Are there any tutorials out there for having this work alongside my Shaw router? Would this be considered a repeater?
Bridge mode the router/modem if possible, and use the Asus as the router.

Or if you cant bridge mode, put the router IP in DMZ mode on the router/modem and turn off the wifi on the shaw box. This will give you a double nat though.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Jul 15, 2009
587 posts
153 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: Bridge mode the router/modem if possible, and use the Asus as the router.

Or if you cant bridge mode, put the router IP in DMZ mode on the router/modem and turn off the wifi on the shaw box. This will give you a double nat though.
Thanks for the help. I have to wait for bridge mode, Shaw wasn't able to enable it just yet. Some issues with my specific modem.

I enabled IP Passthrough, and was given a second dynamic IP from Shaw. Modem / Router are working properly.

I am having issues connecting to my Desktop via Remove Desktop. Not sure if you have any info on that (i've been searching for the last hour). I setup port forward on the Router (I assume that port forwarding on the Modem [Shaw] is now redundant), but I cannot connect. Likely the wrong place for this, but just seeing if you have any suggestions as it seems you know your stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2780 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
dcjcdc wrote: ... someone else installed for me so don't have login info to go in...tried admin admin but that's not it...
You can hard reset the router.
Instructions with images at the following link: How to Reset the Asus RT-N66U

After the reset: Asus RT-N66U Login Instructions

Note: Since you will be updating the firmware, if you're comfortable with the process, you can also consider using a popular third party firmware: Asuswrt-Merlin
Sep 23, 2010
487 posts
1350 upvotes
T Dot
Back in stock online, just ordered.

Plus 1% ebate - it's not much but 1% is better than 0%
Apr 19, 2007
301 posts
82 upvotes
York
Is this worth getting and the returning the DLINK AC2600 from the Source ($130) - still in the box?
I have the N66U, but the LAN ports are dying (down to just one LAN and the WAN port - which must be a hardware issue). I've updated to the latest wrt-Merlin
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1721 posts
163 upvotes
onatrio
thanks worked ..did latest firmware not merlin....again thanks,,saved me from buying the new modem posted here
Warlock wrote: You can hard reset the router.
Instructions with images at the following link: How to Reset the Asus RT-N66U

After the reset: Asus RT-N66U Login Instructions

Note: Since you will be updating the firmware, if you're comfortable with the process, you can also consider using a popular third party firmware: Asuswrt-Merlin