Best Buy

ASUS Wireless AX3000 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router (RT-AX58U/CA) $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 7:42 pm
Jun 17, 2022
3 posts
1 upvote
This is what i did

I have my old AC 86U as an AP and my AC 86U as my main.

AI MESH
Oct 4, 2017
280 posts
98 upvotes
rilles wrote: I use my ac58 as a wifi AP only.

When I first bought it, it would bog down randomly requiring weekly reboots - but as a AP only its been working fine now for the last 2 years.
I bet if you loaded the latest firmware it wouldn't bog down. Asus had been good with the improvements with each firmware revision.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6422 posts
4130 upvotes
Ottawa
I installed Bell 1.5g modem, right now I think about to sell my ax86u, do I need ax86u, so far HH4000 modem looks pretty good.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Oct 4, 2017
280 posts
98 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote: I installed Bell 1.5g modem, right now I think about to sell my ax86u, do I need ax86u, so far HH4000 modem looks pretty good.
I think the wifi and router features of your ax86u is better than bell's unit. Just bridge the HH4000 as a modem and use the ax86u with it.
Jan 19, 2008
284 posts
35 upvotes
I'm a noob here, can someone tell me why this is 3x the price of something like this (I just picked a random router)

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1900-Wi ... 5400&psc=1

3gb speed vs 1.9 speed?? my speed is only 500gb anyways. I don't need coverage for like a 3000 sqft house

My house is only 1200 sqft, my ISP provider modem is on one side of the house, and my basement on the other side has poor reception. So I really just need to extend the range slightly.
Jun 28, 2022
3 posts
2 upvotes
Im using around 4 month that cover my whole home. I recommend you. Im using with 25 devices and work perfectly. Bought few costly
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3408 posts
3478 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Sold and Shipped by a 3rd party (not even fulfilled by amazon). So if anything goes wrong with the unit, have fun. Seller has a 72% rating, with all sorts of people complaining about issues with returns (even want to charge restocking fees on defective items).
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3408 posts
3478 upvotes
Montreal, QC
lim1017 wrote: I'm a noob here, can someone tell me why this is 3x the price of something like this (I just picked a random router)

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-AC1900-Wi ... 5400&psc=1

3gb speed vs 1.9 speed?? my speed is only 500gb anyways. I don't need coverage for like a 3000 sqft house

My house is only 1200 sqft, my ISP provider modem is on one side of the house, and my basement on the other side has poor reception. So I really just need to extend the range slightly.
I'm assuming you mean 500Mbps internet, not 500gb, since that would be super sweet :)

Truth is that most ASUS routers in my opinion are in a class of their own for the consumer market. They are some of the most stable routers available retail with the most features. You have USB ports which allow you to connect printers to make them available on your network, you can also connect USB storage to make some network storage (basic simple NAS without the redundancy) which can be perfect for shared storage or even media server, and even have option of using the router as a torrent client to avoid keeping a PC on at all times. You also have the option of running VPN servers on the router, which is a great feature of you need to access your network. Instead of exposing your devices behind the router to the internet and making them vulnerable, you can VPN to your router and then access your internal network as if you were at home.
Also, the possibility of being able to easily run 3rd party firmware (like Merlin), gives you that extra flexibility (and you don't need to jump through hoops to install it).
And I find that ASUS in general provides firmware updates for their routers for a LONG time compared to others (who in some cases get no firmware updates - like many Dlink routers).

I have close to 3000 sqft over 2 floors and loved my ASUS router over many years that I ran it. Due to different needs, last year I switched it out for a pfsense based firewall, and individual access points instead. But I do keep the ASUS as a backup, JUST in case I even need it.

If your current router/modem mostly suits your needs, you may want to consider getting just an access point which ideally you could wire back to the main modem/router. Odds are however that if you can get this unit wired (with an ethernet cable back to the main modem/router), and a little closer to the middle of the house, it would be powerful enough to serve BOTH the upstairs and downstairs perfectly.

Also, cheaper routers tend to get overwhelmed with many wireless clients connected and will tend to slow down and sometimes hang. Their CPU is often lacking the horsepower to do any packet inspection.
Jul 18, 2020
19 posts
Emporium wrote: I'm assuming you mean 500Mbps internet, not 500gb, since that would be super sweet :)

Truth is that most ASUS routers in my opinion are in a class of their own for the consumer market. They are some of the most stable routers available retail with the most features. You have USB ports which allow you to connect printers to make them available on your network, you can also connect USB storage to make some network storage (basic simple NAS without the redundancy) which can be perfect for shared storage or even media server, and even have option of using the router as a torrent client to avoid keeping a PC on at all times. You also have the option of running VPN servers on the router, which is a great feature of you need to access your network. Instead of exposing your devices behind the router to the internet and making them vulnerable, you can VPN to your router and then access your internal network as if you were at home.
Also, the possibility of being able to easily run 3rd party firmware (like Merlin), gives you that extra flexibility (and you don't need to jump through hoops to install it).
And I find that ASUS in general provides firmware updates for their routers for a LONG time compared to others (who in some cases get no firmware updates - like many Dlink routers).

I have close to 3000 sqft over 2 floors and loved my ASUS router over many years that I ran it. Due to different needs, last year I switched it out for a pfsense based firewall, and individual access points instead. But I do keep the ASUS as a backup, JUST in case I even need it.

If your current router/modem mostly suits your needs, you may want to consider getting just an access point which ideally you could wire back to the main modem/router. Odds are however that if you can get this unit wired (with an ethernet cable back to the main modem/router), and a little closer to the middle of the house, it would be powerful enough to serve BOTH the upstairs and downstairs perfectly.

Also, cheaper routers tend to get overwhelmed with many wireless clients connected and will tend to slow down and sometimes hang. Their CPU is often lacking the horsepower to do any packet inspection.
Which pfsense based router did you go with? I'm trying to decide between getting an asus ax86u or using a raspberry pi for vpn and DNS related tasks while keeping my existing router.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6422 posts
4130 upvotes
Ottawa
CorporalJenky wrote: I think the wifi and router features of your ax86u is better than bell's unit. Just bridge the HH4000 as a modem and use the ax86u with it.
Thanks, The HH4000 modem looks very good, but the signal is so so, I was thinking about to sold my ASUS Ax86u, now I changed mind, how can I use my Ax86u as a router? Thanks
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12781 posts
15634 upvotes
Toronto
sonyHdr12 wrote: Thanks, The HH4000 modem looks very good, but the signal is so so, I was thinking about to sold my ASUS Ax86u, now I changed mind, how can I use my Ax86u as a router? Thanks
Discussion in Bell Home Hub 4000 into bridge mode thread

You would need the Bell provided username and password to setup pppoe passthrough, then disable the wifi on the Bell modem.

How to use the QIS (Quick Internet Setup) to set up PPPoE ? (ASUSWRT)
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3408 posts
3478 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ElwinL87113 wrote: Which pfsense based router did you go with? I'm trying to decide between getting an asus ax86u or using a raspberry pi for vpn and DNS related tasks while keeping my existing router.
I had a PC similar to this one (except with only 2 ethernet ports, but an i5 instead), left over from another project so I reused that. The i5 is overkill for my network, even with IDS/IPS enabled, but no big deal (during all the testing and staging, I did try it on a device with an Intel Atom x5 CPU and it worked perfectly also. So one port goes to my modem/router from my ISP which is configured in Bridge modem (so basically now a dumb modem). The other port goes to my managed switch, which I have configured with multiple VLAN to isolate various parts of my network (IoT devices on one VLAN, Guest Wifi on a different VLAN, Media players on a VLAN of their own, security cameras on their own, VoIP same thing, etc...). I have 3 access points total (one on the main floor, on in the main basement, and 1 dedicated in my office (which is in the basement also). My access rules are very basic, but they work for me. Nothing is facing the internet open, except for my VPN server. And anything like IoT devices that connect to outside servers, are isolated from accessing anything else on my network. One part that was harder to get right was the VPN server setup on pfsense. Compared to an asus router where it is super simple, on pfsense it is a little more involved.

Setup is probably overkill for the average user, but it was a project that was long time in the works. And it took a while to be confident enough that it works as I wanted, before deploying it as my main system. If I didn't want all the VLANs and multiple SSID fine controls I would have probably just got another ASUS router, since my old AC3200 even though it still works (and I have it configured and ready to go as a spare should something go wrong), has hit EOL and no more firmware updates.