Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

ASUS Zenbook Laptop: Ryzen 5 4500U, 14" 1080p, 8GB - RAM, 256GB SSD, GeForce MX350. $550USD

[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17003 posts
6877 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

[Best Buy] ASUS Zenbook Laptop: Ryzen 5 4500U, 14" 1080p, 8GB - RAM, 256GB SSD, GeForce MX350. $550USD

Best Buy USA has the ASUS Zenbook Q407IQ-BR5N4 on sale for $550USD. If you have an American friend or are an essential worker and can get across the border, this is a great deal for a very nice Ultrabook that is reasonable priced. Compared to the Acer Swift 3 on Amazon, the cons are that the Asus has less standard storage space, as well as a slower APU. However the Ryzen 5 4500U is plenty quick so you shouldn't notice any performance differences in regular computing unless you're planning to run heavy workloads. The pros are that the Asus has a 100% sRGB screen that is 300 nits bright, and it has a NVIDIA GeForce MX350 so you can play eSports titles very well on medium or high graphics. CS:GO will run fine, as well as LoL. SC2 will probably run on medium but I wouldn't wanna play SC2 on an Ultrabook unless I had my keyboard with me.

Full specs below, courtesy of Slickdeals.
General
Name .......................... Zenbook 14"
Brand .......................... ASUS
Model Number ........... Q407IQ-BR5N4
Color ........................... Light Gray

Features
Processor ................... AMD 4th Generation Ryzen 5 4500U
Graphics ..................... NVIDIA GeForce MX350 (10W)
Memory ...................... 8GB LPDDR4X RAM (soldered, non-expandable)
Storage ....................... 256 GB PCIe NVME SSD
Operating System ...... Windows 10
Screen ........................ 14", IPS, 300 nits, 100% sRGB, 1000:1 contrast
Touch Screen .............. No
Backlit Keyboard ......... Yes
Touchpad .................... Precision Touchpad (PTP)
Webcam .................,,... Front facing 720p HD camera with mic.
Audio .......................,... ASUS SonicMaster stereo audio system

Ports
- 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ (up to 10 GBps)*
- 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A (up to 10 GBps)
- 1 x USB 2.0 Type A
- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x microSD card reader
- 1 x Combination headphone/mic. jack
* _ No DisplayPort, no PowerPort.

Connectivity
Wi-Fi .............................. WiFi 6 (802.11 ax)
Bluetooth ...................... Bluetooth 5.0

Power
Power adapter .............. 65W
Battery Type ................. 50Wh 3-cell Lithium-polymer
Battery Life ................... 10 hours (WiFi on, brightness set at 50%)

Size
Dimension .................... 12.6" x 7.8" x 0.7"
Weight ........................... 2.65 lbs.

References:
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Z...ech-Specs/
http://www.laptopdriverslib.com/2...ivers.html
Last edited by geokilla on Jul 6th, 2020 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3789 posts
1921 upvotes
Vancouver
Actually both the Acer and Asus have soldered RAM.

Worth pointing out also that the Acer's USB-C has power and DP capability.

Decent price for your Asus if you were able to bring it up.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2088 posts
2635 upvotes
GeForce MX350 is somewhat similar to 1050.

for running the two games OP mentioned, CSGO can run 4k 60FPS easily without dedicated video card; LOL runs avg. 62FPS @2K high settings with Ryzen 5 4500U.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24387 posts
31322 upvotes
The MX350 makes you give it a second look.

As a hybrid ultrabook gaming laptop, this is something. You know my opinion on the RAM, but it may not matter much for this type of user.
Sep 25, 2009
256 posts
49 upvotes
upgrade is not an option to consider on a 50Wh/h netbook.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
2536 posts
1268 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Bishop8 wrote: Actually both the Acer and Asus have soldered RAM.

Worth pointing out also that the Acer's USB-C has power and DP capability.

Decent price for your Asus if you were able to bring it up.
ASUS USB-C should be able to connect to display
but not sure if it can charge.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3537 upvotes
Burnaby
geokilla wrote: Best Buy USA has the ASUS Zenbook Q407IQ-BR5N4 on sale for $550USD. If you have an American friend or are an essential worker and can get across the border, this is a great deal for a very nice Ultrabook that is reasonable priced. Compared to the Acer Swift 3 on Amazon, the cons are that the Asus has less standard storage space, as well as a slower APU. However the Ryzen 5 4500U is plenty quick so you shouldn't notice any performance differences in regular computing unless you're planning to run heavy workloads. The pros are that the Asus has a 100% sRGB screen that is 300 nits bright, and it has a NVIDIA GeForce MX350 so you can play eSports titles very well on medium or high graphics. CS:GO will run fine, as well as LoL. SC2 will probably run on medium but I wouldn't wanna play SC2 on an Ultrabook unless I had my keyboard with me.

Full specs below, courtesy of Slickdeals.
Computer retailers in Canada are currently selling either old stock or overpriced new stock that offers poor value for the money. Amazon.com and B&H Photo Video ship to Canada and they may have interesting Ryzen 4000 series laptops. They both offer clearing brokerage and taxes pre-shipping. The main issue I see with buying laptops in the US using an amerifriend or ordering online/importing is not getting warranty in Canada (gray market products, YMMV).

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3789 posts
1921 upvotes
Vancouver
MrBigNose wrote: ASUS USB-C should be able to connect to display
but not sure if it can charge.
From the OP's description above (emphasis mine):

Ports
- 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ (up to 10 GBps)*
- 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A (up to 10 GBps)
- 1 x USB 2.0 Type A
- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x microSD card reader
- 1 x Combination headphone/mic. jack
* _ No DisplayPort, no PowerPort.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17003 posts
6877 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The downvotes are real. What's not to like? RFD likes to complain about the screen, so here's one with a good screen. RFD likes to complain about bad value, so here's a good value. Can't please you guys.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
3187 posts
4122 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote: The downvotes are real. What's not to like? RFD likes to complain about the screen, so here's one with a good screen. RFD likes to complain about bad value, so here's a good value. Can't please you guys.
Probably because you posted an american item in a canadian specific forum. They don't even ship to canada. And the borders are closed rn so you basically can't even go and pick it up if you were close or travelling there. So the deal is pretty much useless
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
geokilla wrote: The downvotes are real. What's not to like? RFD likes to complain about the screen, so here's one with a good screen. RFD likes to complain about bad value, so here's a good value. Can't please you guys.
"Unable to get the deal" is a real down-vote option.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: Probably because you posted an american item in a canadian specific forum. They don't even ship to canada. And the borders are closed rn so you basically can't even go and pick it up if you were close or travelling there. So the deal is pretty much useless
Truth!

...making this deal applicable to essential workers who crosses the boarder. The hit rate of this deal is probably not much more than, say, posting a UK deal for those who travel into the UK during a pandemic.
Dec 10, 2011
13 posts
2 upvotes
Regina, Saskatchewan
blackbirdman wrote: Probably because you posted an american item in a canadian specific forum. They don't even ship to canada. And the borders are closed rn so you basically can't even go and pick it up if you were close or travelling there. So the deal is pretty much useless
I have stuff shipped to Oregon, (a no tax state) all the time and they forward it to me here. The closed border is not a good argument against these American deals.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2684 posts
1505 upvotes
YVR
BestBuy America is one of the hardest American sites for Canadians to buy from. They do not ship to Canada, and by policy refuse to ship to any freight-forwarders as well even if you were willing to pay. Even their Ebay account does not ship to Canada, or any sort of mail forwarding service.

They do this to protect cannibalizing their Canadian retail division I guess.
Aug 27, 2009
329 posts
236 upvotes
andrewhuculak wrote: I have stuff shipped to Oregon, (a no tax state) all the time and they forward it to me here. The closed border is not a good argument against these American deals.
Which one do you use please?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
3627 posts
3739 upvotes
Montreal, QC
andrewhuculak wrote: I have stuff shipped to Oregon, (a no tax state) all the time and they forward it to me here. The closed border is not a good argument against these American deals.
Good for you but I'd rather RFD not be flooded with USA deals because "you can have them forwarded from no-tax Oregon". There's also the warranty implications, but I'm sure this is another silly argument for you right?
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17003 posts
6877 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
willy0275 wrote: Good for you but I'd rather RFD not be flooded with USA deals because "you can have them forwarded from no-tax Oregon". There's also the warranty implications, but I'm sure this is another silly argument for you right?
That's why I said if you're an essential worker or have an American friend, you can purchase it through them. This works for me if they come through and I thought I'd share it with RFD. But seems like all you guys want to do is complain sometimes.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3527 posts
4066 upvotes
It's a good deal, just not accessible. Will wait till it comes here. I love Zenbook 13 I got from Costco 2 years ago. Light as a feather at 2.45lbs, and cheap (less than $600), it's the perfect laptop to have for anyone commuting especially students. This one with the screen is that much better and would be a sweet upgrade.
For Sale:
Banned
May 24, 2020
60 posts
110 upvotes
Yes, there are Ryzen 4000 series laptops with acceptable prices in most of the countries except Canada. In China, you can easily get a very nice built 4500u laptop for only 600-700 bucks with tax, including this Asus Zenbook model. So nothing I can do now with the weird much-overpriced laptops.

I am actually waiting for a good price on Asus Duo: https://www.amazon.ca/i7-10510U-Innovat ... B083Z8K6D9. I love the design a lot and hope it goes under $1500 soon with a Ryzen version.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)