Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Audio Technica ATH-ANC700BT Over-Ear Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones - $170 (Save $110)

[OP]
Dec 7, 2008
637 posts
90 upvotes

[Best Buy] Audio Technica ATH-ANC700BT Over-Ear Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones - $170 (Save $110)

Seems like a nice deal for a well reviewed, sub $200 pair of earphones.

Over-ear headphones with memory foam ear cushions are designed to fully seal against your head and effectively block out external noise
Bluetooth 4.1 technololgy lets you listen to music without the hassle of cords or wires, while the included 1.2m cable provides an optional wired connection
Powerful 40mm drivers deliver high-fidelity audio reproduction
QuietPoint active noise-cancelling technology, powered by a proprietary 4-microphone multi-feedback system, greatly reduces environmental noise, so you can listen without interruption
Controls built into the left earcup let you make and receive calls and control your music without having to reach for your smartphone
Battery life offers 45 hours of wireless talk time and 1000 hours on standby after a full charge

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/audio-technica-ath-anc700bt-over-ear-noise-cancelling-bluetooth-headphones-black/12681498
29 replies
[OP]
Dec 7, 2008
637 posts
90 upvotes
Does anyone know if you can hook up a wire to these, for example, in an airplane when you want to watch seat back movies?
Apr 21, 2015
231 posts
162 upvotes
Calgary, AB
40 mm drivers deliver high-fidelity audio reproduction and are capable of Hi-Res Audio (5–40,000 Hz frequency response) when used with the included cable
Provided 1.2 m (3.9') cable with 3.5 mm (1/8") stereo mini-plug provides a wired connection for when wireless operation is prohibited, when battery power is low, or when Hi-Res Audio is desired
Foldable design makes headphones ideal for travel
40 mm drivers deliver high-fidelity audio reproduction
30 cm (1') USB charging cable and a protective pouch provided
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-A ... B07BPFW2QD
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3488 posts
1038 upvotes
Personally, I would recommend the Seinnheiser 4.50 BT wireless over these.

It's on Amazon for $199 currently but I think it's worth the premium.

The ANC700 are pretty good headsets but I found the sound quality to be better on the Seinnheisers. Something about the ANC700 didn't come across as a very authentic, electronic type of sound... (I'm not an audiophile). In terms of the noise cancellation, the Seinnheisers were far better than the ANC700 I thought.

Last week, I was debating between the Audio Technica ANC700, the M50xBT and the Seinnheiser 4.50 BT. In the end, I kept the M50xBT because I love my M50's and noise cancellation is something I don't really need.

The ANC 700 is advertised for being able to play Hi Res audio (where the M50xBT didn't have that for some reason...), which I assume can only be experienced while plugged in. Whether that's over USB or a normal 3.5 mm I don't know.
Last edited by halcyon on Jan 22nd, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2008
637 posts
90 upvotes
Thanks. Are you able to hook the Seinnheiser 4.50 BT up with a cord as well? I do alot of flying, so I want wireless, but also want the ability of a cord connection.
Nov 8, 2008
299 posts
191 upvotes
FWIW, I debated between these (same sale price over Christmas), the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 ($149.99 on sale recently), the Sennheiser HD 4.50 ($129.99 on Prime Day and Black Friday, $159.99 more recently), and the Sony XB-950N1 ($149.99 over Christmas) recently.

TBH the Sennheisers are the best of the lot to me, but for iPhone users the Sennheisers lack Apple's AAC codec for better quality Bluetooth audio. The iPhone does not support aptX, so if the headphones don't have AAC, the audio quality falls back to the significantly worse standard SBC codec. That basically killed the Sennheisers for me.

The Audio Technica, Plantronics, and Sony all support AAC. I ended up not buying any of them, but here were my thoughts:
  • Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 - I think this was the best balance of audio quality and ANC with AAC support but I just couldn't bring myself to like the looks
  • Audio Technica ATH-ANC700BT - reasonable sound quality but pretty weak ANC. Also more expensive than the other two...
  • Sony XB-950N1 - sound quality was good (with Mega Bass OFF) and the ANC was decent, but they felt cheap and were bulkier than the other two
I ended up deciding to wait for more models to arrive with AAC support, and bought a cheap pair of TaoTronics (TT-BH22 for $45) for now (they are worse in every way except price, but will do for 1-2 years when hopefully more models are out...).
Oct 18, 2011
274 posts
158 upvotes
Regina
halcyon wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:14 pm
Personally, I would recommend the Seinnheiser 4.50 BT wireless over these.

It's on Amazon for $199 currently but I think it's worth the premium.

The ANC700 are pretty good headsets but I found the sound quality to be better on the Seinnheisers. Something about the ANC700 didn't come across as a very authentic, electronic type of sound... (I'm not audiophile). In terms of the noise cancellation, the Seinnheisers were far better than the ANC700 I thought.

Last week, I was debating between the Audio Technica ANC700, the M50xBT and the Seinnheiser 4.50 BT. In the end, I kept the M50xBT because I love my M50's and noise cancellation is something I don't really need.

The ANC 700 is advertised for being able to play Hi Res audio (where the M50xBT didn't have that for some reason...), which I assume can only be experienced while plugged in. Whether that's over USB or a normal 3.5 mm I don't know.
The historical low of 4.50 btnc is $129 at amazon (Special edition with a less premium package). boxing day price is $169 IIRC.
I know there is no time machine. but if you want 4.50, you may want to wait.
Mar 7, 2013
129 posts
66 upvotes
Ontario
I love my Audio Technica M40's and M50's but I gotta say this product seems like an oddity. High-end headphones with no support for LDAC or at least Apt-xHD is like putting a civic's engine in Corvette.

Good buy for sure but audiophiles beware unless you're going to use the 3.5mm jack.
Last edited by redon2 on Jan 21st, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 13, 2015
59 posts
18 upvotes
Springbrook, AB
Good post.
I would only add that to me, I would classify these as mid range, not high end.

I have been reading alot about the Sony wh1000xm3, which I know are in a different price tier. Would any of you folks be able to comment on whether the extra price is worth it?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1251 posts
570 upvotes
Surrey
carsncars wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:27 pm
FWIW, I debated between these (same sale price over Christmas), the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 ($149.99 on sale recently), the Sennheiser HD 4.50 ($129.99 on Prime Day and Black Friday, $159.99 more recently), and the Sony XB-950N1 ($149.99 over Christmas) recently.

TBH the Sennheisers are the best of the lot to me, but for iPhone users the Sennheisers lack Apple's AAC codec for better quality Bluetooth audio. The iPhone does not support aptX, so if the headphones don't have AAC, the audio quality falls back to the significantly worse standard SBC codec. That basically killed the Sennheisers for me.

The Audio Technica, Plantronics, and Sony all support AAC. I ended up not buying any of them, but here were my thoughts:
  • Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 - I think this was the best balance of audio quality and ANC with AAC support but I just couldn't bring myself to like the looks
  • Audio Technica ATH-ANC700BT - reasonable sound quality but pretty weak ANC. Also more expensive than the other two...
  • Sony XB-950N1 - sound quality was good (with Mega Bass OFF) and the ANC was decent, but they felt cheap and were bulkier than the other two
I ended up deciding to wait for more models to arrive with AAC support, and bought a cheap pair of TaoTronics (TT-BH22 for $45) for now (they are worse in every way except price, but will do for 1-2 years when hopefully more models are out...).
Just don't understand why the other manufacturers don't make head bands as cushioned as Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2. I mean I love Sennheisers but why aren't HD 4.50 as cushioned as PXC 550 is beyond me. I'd gladly pay extra for the extra material. Feel like it's done on purpose.

Also I'd go with Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 any day.
FrancoD29 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 2:11 pm
Good post.
I would only add that to me, I would classify these as mid range, not high end.

I have been reading alot about the Sony wh1000xm3, which I know are in a different price tier. Would any of you folks be able to comment on whether the extra price is worth it?
Not a good product. Multiple problems including this one: https://us.community.sony.com/s/questio ... uage=en_US
Last edited by grayhal on Jan 21st, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 tolerance for BS.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3488 posts
1038 upvotes
shengli2009fall wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 1:46 pm
The historical low of 4.50 btnc is $129 at amazon (Special edition with a less premium package). boxing day price is $169 IIRC.
I know there is no time machine. but if you want 4.50, you may want to wait.
If you can wait... Yeah, agree to do so for the 4.50. It's more of a "need it now" comment.

That said, if you're like myself and you spend more time researching than you should about a product, you'll end up wanting something earlier rather than later... If only we had that time machine (as I would have loved to pick up the 4.50 SE for $129.)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2585 posts
1753 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CanuckFlyHigh wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:00 pm
Does anyone know if you can hook up a wire to these, for example, in an airplane when you want to watch seat back movies?
:facepalm: Read your post:
"Bluetooth 4.1 technololgy lets you listen to music without the hassle of cords or wires, while the included 1.2m cable provides an optional wired connection"
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7770 posts
3247 upvotes
MVRD
grayhal wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 3:58 pm
Just don't understand why the other manufacturers don't make head bands not as cushioned as Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2. I mean I love Sennheisers but why aren't HD 4.50 as cushioned as PXC 550 is beyond me. I'd gladly pay extra for the extra material. Feel like it's done on purpose.

Also I'd go with Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 any day....
You find the BB P2 too cushioned?
Jan 17, 2009
514 posts
14 upvotes
carsncars wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 12:27 pm

I heard the Sennheisers clamp too hard and are uncomfortable, which is pretty sad considering you would wear ANC headphones for relatively long listening sessions ;(
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1251 posts
570 upvotes
Surrey
chatbox wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 4:39 pm
You find the BB P2 too cushioned?
Fixed. Thanks
xerane wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 4:47 pm
I heard the Sennheisers clamp too hard and are uncomfortable, which is pretty sad considering you would wear ANC headphones for relatively long listening sessions ;(
Heard the same. What a waste. I really liked their headphones. Especially RS 180, which finally broke.
0 tolerance for BS.