• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2019 1:20 pm
[OP]
Nov 3, 2006
184 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT - $179.99

The internet's beloved pair of headphones, but wireless.
12 replies
Banned
May 31, 2005
298 posts
729 upvotes
Good deal, last time it's been $179.99 was July 16. It does go on sale for $189 and $199 a half dozen or so times each year.
May 26, 2014
201 posts
219 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I have the M50x, and had the M50 before that. I don't think I'll ever buy another headphone, they are amazing.

For any like me who are tempted by this but own M50s already, you can get a Fiio bluetooth attachment from Amazon for 65 bucks. I just pulled the trigger on that. Most of the reviews say that a Chinese lady yells angrily about your battery being low, but I guess you can email Fiio support and they'll send you a firmware with a significantly more pleasant Chinese lady to yell at you.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1398 posts
498 upvotes
The M50 platform is kinda a meme at this point. Most people think the M40 sounds better. The m40xBT is $30 cheaper. Build quality isnt quite as nice, but you'll probably be happier with it in the end.

I should say i dont actually own either of these, but i follow headphone reviews pretty closely(I'm more into wired sennheisers).
Aug 17, 2008
806 posts
188 upvotes
Markham, ON
That's not bluetooth and also not sold by BestBuy.
Scott86 wrote: The M50 platform is kinda a meme at this point. Most people think the M40 sounds better. The m40xBT is $30 cheaper. Build quality isnt quite as nice, but you'll probably be happier with it in the end.

I should say i dont actually own either of these, but i follow headphone reviews pretty closely(I'm more into wired sennheisers).
eBay Profile: squash252
Aug 16, 2009
376 posts
278 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: The M50 platform is kinda a meme at this point. Most people think the M40 sounds better. The m40xBT is $30 cheaper. Build quality isnt quite as nice, but you'll probably be happier with it in the end.

The M40xs are wired. There are no M40xBTs as far as I know.
Also I would say the build quality is very close between the 40s and 50s. The 50s have a few more features though.
I find the M50x BTs sound somewhere between the 40x and 50x.
Great mids and highs from the 40s and the bass is somewhere between the 40s and 50s.
Very neutral headphones.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1398 posts
498 upvotes
turtlenuts wrote: That's not bluetooth and also not sold by BestBuy.
whoops, yeah, i meant to link to this one which is sold directly by bestbuy. And the BT was just a brain fart i guess... I'm still anti-BT on headphones unless its a truly wireless solution. If you're already gonna deal with clunky cans, just accept having the wire around you, and not worry about one more battery powered thing to charge.
Mar 31, 2017
898 posts
372 upvotes
Burnaby
Anybone used the new PX 7s?

I'm very curious to know how they compare to these M50X BTs

I have carried a M50X for the last 7-8 years and they are in dire need of replacing.

Since sound quality matters more to me than anything else (yet I need something portable), these 2 seem to be my best options currently (the Sennheiser Momentum 3 look good too but their battery life is woeful)
Feb 22, 2011
125 posts
69 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Dandada wrote: The M40xs are wired. There are no M40xBTs as far as I know.
Also I would say the build quality is very close between the 40s and 50s. The 50s have a few more features though.
I find the M50x BTs sound somewhere between the 40x and 50x.
Great mids and highs from the 40s and the bass is somewhere between the 40s and 50s.
Very neutral headphones.
Have the m40's and while I think they sound great, I use them only at home for most part. The way that the cups swivel around does not make me feel confident about taking them outside.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4676 posts
1857 upvotes
Markham
pencil364 wrote: I have the M50x, and had the M50 before that. I don't think I'll ever buy another headphone, they are amazing.

For any like me who are tempted by this but own M50s already, you can get a Fiio bluetooth attachment from Amazon for 65 bucks. I just pulled the trigger on that. Most of the reviews say that a Chinese lady yells angrily about your battery being low, but I guess you can email Fiio support and they'll send you a firmware with a significantly more pleasant Chinese lady to yell at you.
That's a deal breaker, i'm not paying for nagging
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2013
1161 posts
804 upvotes
St Catharines
Dead deal.

Got excited to see this again since I missed it when this post "went live".