Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Audio Technica ATH-WS990BT Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones Refurb $129.99

[OP]
Sep 18, 2019
5 posts
4 upvotes

[Best Buy] Audio Technica ATH-WS990BT Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones Refurb $129.99

Last edited by xcrxcr on May 26th, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1929 posts
221 upvotes
NB
Anyone know how they compare to the Sony WH-H900N from Costco?
Dec 25, 2010
36 posts
9 upvotes
Canada, Quebec, Mon…
1. They felt comfortable

I tested a lot of headphones in store last year, mostly for comfortability (it was hard to really test sound quality there as often there are some that don't work well, etc. -- and even if I like the best, I trusted most of them will sound good and so comfort was my main criteria as I knew I will wear them a lot on computer...). I ended up always preferring Bose QC35 comfort wise. However, I did not dislike Audio Technica ones overall, and for that one I noted that I found them quite comfortable, maybe the most comfo of the Audio Technica I tried (e.g., a bit more comfo than AHT-M50XBT that also had similar padding). I found the QC-35 a bit lighter than these, but still comfort was not that far.

2. At 130$ this seem like a really good deal

As for deal, we ended up taking the QC35-I refurbish deal on Bose.ca at around 250$ (+ Rakuten cashback to remove taxes). This was my favorite deal to suggest for people looking for good quality wireless headphone that are comfo. They were at 210$ lately, but their price skyrocketed to 360$ on Bose website latest weeks... even if they were always at 250$ or less since a lot of months. Maybe lot of people took the deal and they have lower supply, or the demand is just too high. And we bought 2 of those and their refurbish are really like new... 0 complaint, can't notice anything different from a new pair. I was convinced and I won't pay 50$ more for the QC35-II model for only having Google Assistant or something like that.

But these ATH-WS990BT at 130$ seems like very good value to me IF their refurbish are as high quality as the Bose ones. I saw them new at 260$ at BestBuy and looking at Amazon price history on Keepa, I don't see them going under 300$CA (can't access CCC right now).

From memory, I would personally prefer these over the Sennheiser HD4.5BT that were on sale lately (but a bit less, 90$).

3. Are AT's refurb offering good?

I would be curious to hear about people who had experience buying refurb from them. We can see one negative review on the BestBuy website, but the same guy then gave them 5 stars after customer service handled it well and he received another pair that was working correctly and I also see one downvote here with reason "Poor Merchant Reputation"... I wonder why that is? Is it Best Buy or Audio Technica the person wanted to downvote?

Anyway, I think they are up to refund if you get any issues and the warranty is 1 year, the same as the new one.

So for the price, if the refurbish is on par as with the new one, I would recommend them based on my notes (and I would say I'm picky comfort wise, but it can be very subjective what we find comfortable) and for all other criteria, I would trust that review and it seems to praise those too (I looked the website for 3-4 other headphones and their review made sense overall).

Would like to hear about long time owner as me I only tested them in store.
Feb 27, 2011
963 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone received their order mentioned in a previous thread on this deal? Is it a white box repacked merchandise like Boss? Or is it in retail packaging?
Apr 16, 2014
7 posts
29 upvotes
Vaughan
I got the headphones today
White box repackaged
Came with headphones, cables , instructions and a leather case
They feel like new and work well
Sound quality is fantastic but I'm still getting used to over ear headphones so they still aren't the most comfortable for me

Noise cancelling is effectively not there and microphone is useless and it lacks cool features like stopping music when headphones off

I'll use them when I want the best audio quality
Feb 27, 2011
963 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Just tried these headphones out. Agree that the condition looks new (not even trivial scuffing) despite manufacturer refurbished.

My impression on its audio quality is slightly different from that of previous posters.

Mid and low freq less punchy than I have expected based on previous reviews. Definitely far less modulated (artificially) compared to the Beats (including the high-end models). High freq on par with other lesser brands but less than what I have expected from the freq response for Audio Technica.

The big surprise to me, however, is how poor the noise canceling is compared to Bose QC35 II (before the firmware update). I have expected a small difference in favor of Bose. But the difference I found is huge, especially in very low freq white noise (such as air conditioner and car engine rumbling). Also, the hear-through mode is so bad that you are just better off with turning off the noise canceling.

The headphones are a decent buy considering the huge saving from this deal, but I would not pay full retail price for these headphones.
Aug 8, 2019
22 posts
34 upvotes
I just got mine today as well.
I have very minor scuff on one part of the headphone, but everything else looks pretty brand new.
However, is the audio volume always this quiet?
I have to max-out my volume on iphone 8 to get decent volume.

Is this the same for you guys?
Nov 19, 2011
15 posts
2 upvotes
WILLOW BEACH
Is this deal dead links void
Dec 23, 2010
119 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
pathoma wrote: I just got mine today as well.
I have very minor scuff on one part of the headphone, but everything else looks pretty brand new.
However, is the audio volume always this quiet?
I have to max-out my volume on iphone 8 to get decent volume.

Is this the same for you guys?
Mine get quite loud. Definitely more than loud enough for me. I have to keep either my phone, or the cans off of max. Can't have them both maxed

I got the refurb deal last time it was posted. Looked brand new. Came in a white box. Looks good so far. The quality of the headband and padding for both the headband and ears is extremely high. (I'm used to wearing $50 bluetooth overear beaters.) Like others have mentioned, the noise cancelling basically doesn't exist. It's only for low frequencies, as mentioned in the manual. Sound quality is very nice, though I mostly use my headphones for podcasts, so I can't give a better answer. Overall, I'm quite happy with them. I now have $50 beaters for running around, and over $200 quality cans for travel and such. Quite happy with the purchase. Definitely quality.

I think there might be a lot of refurbs with this product due to noise cancelling being advertised, but being underwhelming. In which case, if you want a quality pair of cans on the cheap (and don't care for NC), these are it.
Aug 8, 2019
22 posts
34 upvotes
This deals back again if anyone is interested.
I was able to get my volume up louder and I really enjoy using this headphone.
It says refurbished, but it comes basically brand new.