Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] August Smart Lock & Connect Wi-Fi Bridge ($100 off at $159.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2020 1:32 am
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
651 posts
930 upvotes
BC

[Best Buy] August Smart Lock & Connect Wi-Fi Bridge ($100 off at $159.99)

I've been using this smart lock + the connect for a year now and love it. Since I'm stuck at home with time to do DIY I've been waiting for a deal to purchase another.

Normal pricing is:
$199.99 for the lock
$89.99 for the connect
$259.99 for both

$159.99 for both comes along reasonably frequently if memory serves me right, but now's a great time to do all those home tasks you've always wanted to get around to.

The Wire Cutter gives it their budget pick:- https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-smart-lock/

Here's what I do with my August:
  • Auto locks after 1 minute
  • Auto unlocks if I've been about 3 blocks away (user settable) and I return within a few meters of my door
  • Grant people temporary, permanent or time-based access to my door
  • Plays a sound when the door is unlocked
  • Provides me with a time-based log of locking and unlocking by person

With the addition of the Connect it moves the August from being Bluetooth proximity-based only to it being on my Wifi network adding:
  • Let's me know if the door has been left ajar for 2 minutes
  • Adds Google Assist (and Alexa for those who use that)
  • Gives me realtime alerts to unlocks/locks and by who
  • Allows me to check the lock/unlock open/closed status of the door, and lock and unlock the door from anywhere
Note: Unlike other August locks, this one does not support Homekit.

Edit: I have heard of just the lock selling for $100 around Black Friday 2019. For me the Connect is worth the extra $60 (vs. $90 full price), but it's possible if you only want the lock that a better deal might come around.
21 replies
Jul 21, 2013
787 posts
473 upvotes
Calgary
The round is in IMO horribly ugly lock. It look smaller than on the pictures, but the knob is massive.
May 18, 2007
782 posts
1352 upvotes
Toronto
> In order to setup your lock you must provide your cell phone#

I really wish companies would stop doing this privacy invasion crap.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
Paid $170 for the pro version with connect last year around black Friday, the pro with connect was $170~ a few times last year IIRC.
Aug 20, 2019
189 posts
212 upvotes
What a coincidence!

For the first time in 5 years, my August lock decided to not warn me its battery was low and died while I took my kids out to ride their bikes.

Locked out of the house and got ripped on a $200 locksmith bill....fml
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1582 posts
411 upvotes
RobertA212 wrote: What a coincidence!

For the first time in 5 years, my August lock decided to not warn me its battery was low and died while I took my kids out to ride their bikes.

I was afraid of getting locked out too so lucky I have other doors with the august lock and an august keypad. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Or yell really loud through your window at your google home to open the door.
May 10, 2017
316 posts
192 upvotes
Let's say it's middle of winter and you quickly go out to take out garbage and then you realize that you forgot your key inside the house and you find yourself locked out with no jacket and no phone to call the locksmith.
What do you do then?
This is the biggest flaw I see.
Donate to your local food bank today!
Apr 3, 2005
697 posts
42 upvotes
RobertA212 wrote: What a coincidence!

how long the battery last ???
which and how many ???
P.S. : if you find lots of spelling mistakes in my above comment. This is what happens when you use the physical Keyboard (Blackberry) your whole life and then you have to settle with a virtual Keyboard.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4100 posts
2801 upvotes
Toronto
Roger21 wrote: The round is in IMO horribly ugly lock. It look smaller than on the pictures, but the knob is massive.
i agree, it's like a hockey puck - thing is huge; at least the older model looked somewhat normal even if the lock mechanism itself is quite bulbous from the door
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4100 posts
2801 upvotes
Toronto
DirtPoor wrote: Let's say it's middle of winter and you quickly go out to take out garbage and then you realize that you forgot your key inside the house and you find yourself locked out with no jacket and no phone to call the locksmith.
What do you do then?
this is only a problem if auto lock is turned on; it's off by default and it's not worth using for this very reason
Mar 16, 2005
987 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
DirtPoor wrote: Let's say it's middle of winter and you quickly go out to take out garbage and then you realize that you forgot your key inside the house and you find yourself locked out with no jacket and no phone to call the locksmith.
What do you do then?
I have mine set to lock at certain times. Autolock after a period of time I find annoying.

I love mine, big or not.
Regards,
-P

Ebay
Heatware
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3809 posts
3863 upvotes
Alberta
My backup solution is using my garage door with keypad to open. I have the August lock pro and it works great with SmartThings.
Sep 3, 2008
418 posts
380 upvotes
canada_dry wrote: > In order to setup your lock you must provide your cell phone#

I really wish companies would stop doing this privacy invasion crap.
This is exactly the reason I signed up for a Hushed ph# (it was less than $20) for a life time number. Use it for these type of sign ups and Kijiji and FB market place sales.
Nov 23, 2016
322 posts
529 upvotes
I picked up an August lock without a bridge for just over $100 on clearance at my local Canadian Tire 2 months ago. I absolutely love it. The bridge is really only needed if you want more integration options. For a rental unit its worked great so far.
Feb 3, 2019
147 posts
89 upvotes
Brampton,ON, Canada
last time i bought a Schlage door lock and it wouldn't fit because i got stuck around a metal plate inside where you put the lock assembly. Any work around that thing?