Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

BB: Philips 43" 4K UHD 60Hz 5ms GTG IPS LED Monitor $599

Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2241 posts
669 upvotes
Mississauga

[Best Buy] BB: Philips 43" 4K UHD 60Hz 5ms GTG IPS LED Monitor $599

Been searching for a 34"+ monitor to replace my 27" and came across this deal at Best Buy. Is it too big to have on a desk? It is 4K so would replace 2 monitor I think.
I also considered the Dell 3415W but it's a couple hundred more than this. Anyone have this?
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ph ... 24421.aspx?
27 replies
Nov 5, 2013
131 posts
38 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
I can't speak for the 43 inch model. But I have the 40" 4k version of this for 2 years now and I couldn't be more happier with it. The 4k resolution at this size is truly immersive and requires no scaling. It can take a couple of days/weeks to get used to but it's awesome for productivity and decent enough in games. When I played games, I played rpg type games. If you're into shooters you might want a screen with a higher refresh rate and lower resolution.

But for my use of productivity, media viewing and very casual gaming it's perfect.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
It is definitely a little too big if you are not prepared for it. I would suggest keep it under 35" for monitors. But that is just me. Some people like it.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4566 posts
1184 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
Just a warning to prospective buyers these are known to have burn in issues
Dec 23, 2007
976 posts
450 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was looking at this monitor last year. I would of bought it, but the height of the monitor turned me off. I think its about 2feet high... on my desk i would be looking up instead of just forward like a normal monitor.
Jul 16, 2009
705 posts
66 upvotes
I bought this and returned it after a week. The burn in/ image persistence is HORRIBLE. I read reviews that said it would get better but I did not see any evidence of this.
Feb 10, 2004
352 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
If you're using it for coding, or some application where you just want screen real estate then it's definitely a good choice. I have a similar 40" 4k and I love it. It's the equivalent of 4 decent sized 1080p monitors or 1 very large retina screen (depending on how you scale it).
Apr 29, 2009
67 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Bought and returned after a week as well... Had the older philips 40" (BDM4035UC) for about a year and was really happy with it, but wanted HDMI 2.0, so I sold the 40 and bought the 43 to replace it... extremely disappointed because of the image persistence issues to the point where I just couldnt deal with it.

I've since given up on finding a monitor until the g-sync HDR monitors come out in 2018, so I'm using a Samsung 40" 4K tv instead now (UN40MU6300)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2241 posts
669 upvotes
Mississauga
bradleymor wrote: Bought and returned after a week as well... Had the older philips 40" (BDM4035UC) for about a year and was really happy with it, but wanted HDMI 2.0, so I sold the 40 and bought the 43 to replace it... extremely disappointed because of the image persistence issues to the point where I just couldnt deal with it.

I've since given up on finding a monitor until the g-sync HDR monitors come out in 2018, so I'm using a Samsung 40" 4K tv instead now (UN40MU6300)
Perhaps I'll go with the 40" 4K TV as well. Do you notice any issues with lag or refresh rate when playing games or youtube?
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
1107 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
bradleymor wrote: Bought and returned after a week as well... Had the older philips 40" (BDM4035UC) for about a year and was really happy with it, but wanted HDMI 2.0, so I sold the 40 and bought the 43 to replace it... extremely disappointed because of the image persistence issues to the point where I just couldnt deal with it.

Yeah I've held off on the Philips monitors due to the image retention. Like you, I had considered the other option of getting a similarly sized TV, but most TV's had input lag in the ~35ms range, which was noticeable to me when I tested it on my brother's UN50KU6270. Do you notice it on your TV (I think yours is better in the 20ms range)

This website provides a list of input lag of TVs and monitors so you can see that a typical monitor is in the 10ms range:
https://displaylag.com/display-database/

I'm hoping maybe 2018 TVs cut the input lag down further.
Participant in:
Koodo Mobile - $25/month with 30GB LTE for 24 months (with $5 24 month credit).
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User - DM to Ask me anything.
Apr 29, 2009
67 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
I have not noticed any issues with games or youtube using this Samsung. I play a lot of FPS's both on PC and Xbox One S and its been fine for both. Destiny 2 and PUBG look great, and the HDR effect in Destiny 2 is extremely noticeable even though this TV isnt "true" HDR.

No issues with youtube or just general desktop use either.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
Reviews suggest possibility of burn in and ghosting. Guess if you are in for a budget multi purpose screen, it might be ok but otherwise i would avoid. For gaming, probably better off going with multi-monitor display.

Honestly, you might be better off with samsung mu6300

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... 83527.aspx?

43” model is ips (all other size are va), supports hdr, low input lag (for a tv, ~20 ms), no burn in issue (as far as im aware of). Not for competitive gamers but for regular gamers, it might an interesting option.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
i thought it was a typo and it should been a tv, didn't know monitor went that big
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
divx wrote: i thought it was a typo and it should been a tv, didn't know monitor went that big
There is even a 49 inch wide screen monitor
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/mo ... g90dmnxza/

48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1516 posts
907 upvotes
i bought
will see ... some say there are image retention issues some say there aren't

bought 2 and will see if there is a diff between each
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1589 posts
173 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
JustinZ wrote: i bought
will see ... some say there are image retention issues some say there aren't

bought 2 and will see if there is a diff between each
Please share your findings. I have the 40" version of this monitor which has served me incredibly well but I need the upgrade to HDMI 2.0 at this point
Apr 9, 2017
24 posts
21 upvotes
I’ve been using the philips 43” 4K monitor for 2 years with no image burn in or retention issues. I use it sitting approx 2.5-3 ft desk depth and you’re always going to either look slightly up at a 3-5 degree angle or down at that distance. It’s a big monitor and needs adjustment to appreciate it. I use it for graphics...photographer and cinematographer use but also for every day use and Starcraft 2. Love the 4K and still have another small 4K monitor on the side for image previews. Certain videos on this monitor are also very high quality.
Aug 8, 2005
736 posts
152 upvotes
Montreal
FUGTFO wrote: I’ve been using the philips 43” 4K monitor for 2 years with no image burn in or retention issues. I use it sitting approx 2.5-3 ft desk depth and you’re always going to either look slightly up at a 3-5 degree angle or down at that distance. It’s a big monitor and needs adjustment to appreciate it. I use it for graphics...photographer and cinematographer use but also for every day use and Starcraft 2. Love the 4K and still have another small 4K monitor on the side for image previews. Certain videos on this monitor are also very high quality.
Opened the box and tried the monitor for 2 hours last night. It's gorgeous but I did see image retention. I will pay attention to this for the next couple days. If I cannot stand it, the monitor goes back to Bestbuy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)