Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

BB Seagate Backup Plus 10TB (Barracuda Pro) $239.99

  • Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2020 11:06 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 29, 2004
448 posts
587 upvotes
SWO

[Best Buy] BB Seagate Backup Plus 10TB (Barracuda Pro) $239.99

I'm not a Seagate fan personally, but for those that are ok with it, this should get you a Barracuda Pro 10 TB for $240 with a 2 year warranty. Assuming you don't destroy the case opening it.

Was on last week for the expansion version of the drive, which only has a 1 year warranty.
best-buy-seagate-expansion-10tb-desktop ... 9-2370712/
18 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 14, 2009
713 posts
323 upvotes
I've only ever purchased the 10TB expansion plus for shucking. Is this likely the same drive within (Barracuda Pro)?
Member
Dec 12, 2012
323 posts
385 upvotes
Saskatchewan
da_123 wrote: I'm not a Seagate fan personally, but for those that are ok with it, this should get you a Barracuda Pro 10 TB for $240 with a 2 year warranty. Assuming you don't destroy the case opening it.

Was on last week for the expansion version of the drive, which only has a 1 year warranty.
best-buy-seagate-expansion-10tb-desktop ... 9-2370712/
Good luck not destroying/damaging the clips. The case can be removed relatively easily, the small clips that hold them together is a different story. I broke at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the clips. With more practice and thin shims you can reduce the amount of clips you'd break.
Fac1 wrote: I've only ever purchased the 10TB expansion plus for shucking. Is this likely the same drive within (Barracuda Pro)?
The Backup Plus 10TB features the same drive as the Expansion Plus (Barracuda Pro), except it has 2 years of warranty vs. one year on the Expansion line. I'm not entirely sure if Seagate requires you to RMA the drive within the enclosure or if a bare drive is fine.
Last edited by SagaraS246 on May 1st, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2014
7157 posts
3333 upvotes
Canuckland
Fac1 wrote: I've only ever purchased the 10TB expansion plus for shucking. Is this likely the same drive within (Barracuda Pro)?
Probably Iron wolf
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 14, 2009
713 posts
323 upvotes
SagaraS246 wrote: Good luck not destroying/damaging the clips. The case can be removed relatively easily, the small clips that hold them together is a different story. I broke at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the clips. With more practice and thin shims you can reduce the amount of clips you'd break.
Agreed with that. I shucked three (expansion plus) last night and it was not easy. I probably broke 1/2 of the clips along the way, but even with better tools I don't see how one could open without any clips breaking.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
1100 posts
45 upvotes
Is this better than the 10tb expansion drives that were on sale a few days ago? internally is this the same as the expansion version.
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2019
619 posts
1045 upvotes
Exact same drive inside as all the other 10TB Seagate threads FYI - you get a Seagate Barracuda Pro 7200RPM Helium filled PMR drive that costs $550 if purchased as a standalone. These are some of the best hard drives you can buy. You can verify the drive type before shucking if you're at all nervous.

I've shucked 2 of these "Plus" hubs so far and it takes about 30 seconds with a flat head screw driver to get the drive out. The other ones I got were the regular "expansion" drives but same story there, and same drive inside.
[OP]
Member
Dec 29, 2004
448 posts
587 upvotes
SWO
The advantage to buying the drive inside this enclosure is the 2 year warranty. It’s only a one year warranty when purchased inside the expansion case.

When purchased as a bare drive at full price ($500+) you get the 5 year warranty.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1126 posts
1156 upvotes
Knowhere
da_123 wrote: The advantage to buying the drive inside this enclosure is the 2 year warranty. It’s only a one year warranty when purchased inside the expansion case.

When purchased as a bare drive at full price ($500+) you get the 5 year warranty.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2027 upvotes
almasyseifer wrote: How?
Assuming you're running Windows:



If you're on Linux, the same idea applies but you can use something like smartctl.
Newbie
Apr 28, 2015
28 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP for posting. Reserved one for pick up. Back in the day I used to be very bias on my drive choices (always WD ftw). The following two rules have worked for me in the last years: change your drives at least once in 10 years (I do every 4 years) and try not to fill drives past 85% (80% is my personal cut off). WD or Seagate they all will fail with time.
Jr. Member
Mar 25, 2010
122 posts
181 upvotes
Québec
Got one! Thanks for the bump, wouldn't have seen it otherwise and my plex server is getting full again!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1140 posts
305 upvotes
Purchased two of the Seagate Expansion 10TB from last week to replace dying 4TB in my NAS. Both were straight up Barracuda Pro 10TB drives. Going to add this additional drive for a third for the array. Thanks OP.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 25, 2003
5094 posts
7196 upvotes
Vancouver
da_123 wrote: The advantage to buying the drive inside this enclosure is the 2 year warranty. It’s only a one year warranty when purchased inside the expansion case.

When purchased as a bare drive at full price ($500+) you get the 5 year warranty.
Pretty much irrelevant, depending on what you are using it for......

If HD Drive brakes down, and you can not reach and safely delete your data, ask yourself: Am I going to send all of this to them?

My personal data backup drives will not go anywhere..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Jr. Member
May 20, 2015
105 posts
59 upvotes
Surrey, BC
How does this compare to the WD 8TB from Costco fir $189.99? 2 extra 2TB worth the extra $100? Thanks.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)