Expired Hot Deals

Best Buy

BestBuy: Freeplay Energy TUF AM/FM/Shortwave Radio/Flashlight emmergency radio - Yellow $19.99 ($40 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2020 1:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3262 posts
5069 upvotes
GTA North

[Best Buy] BestBuy: Freeplay Energy TUF AM/FM/Shortwave Radio/Flashlight emmergency radio - Yellow $19.99 ($40 off)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/fr ... p/10439629
Overview
Stay in the know even when you go off the grid with this rugged Freeplay Energy TUF AM/FM radio and flashlight. You can power it through solar energy, the built-in self-power hand crank, or by connecting the unit to a power source via mini USB. It also sports an integrated LED flashlight so you'll never be left out in the dark.
SAVE $40$19.99$1999
SALE ends: November 5, 2020
2 Special Offers Available

Free shipping on orders over $35

Show More Offers
Sold and shipped by Best Buy

Available online only
This will be delivered tomorrow.
Enjoy free shipping on most orders over $35.

Rugged wind-up and solar-powered multiband radio keeps you informed and in-the-loop with the outside world when you go camping, hunting, or fishing
Can be charged by solar power, by winding up the self-charge hand crank, or by connecting it to a power source via mini USB cable (sold separately)
USB output lets you charge your smartphone or other mobile device by connecting them to the TUF with a compatible USB cable (sold separately)
Radio tuner with backlit LCD display and 12/24-hour digital clock lets you listen to digitally tuned PLL (phase-locked loop) AM and FM radio stations, as well as short wave radio
Integrated ultra-bright LED light offers more than 50,000 hours of use and means you always have a light handy -- one that doesn't depend on batteries
Features a rugged and dependable construction that's perfect for taking along on all of your outdoor adventures

I was just checking on some NOAA radios and stumbled upon this on sale at Best Buy. According to the manufactuers website it has a 3.6v NiMH battery. The one sold on BestBuy.ca is the non USA one so we get the shotwave where as the USA one gets NOAA built in. This would be a nice portable daily raido to take with you anywhere be it you're working in a kitchen, chopping wodd, fishing, fixing the car, outdoor adventures, preparing dinner, etc.

Price seems ok and in easy to find/hard to leave behind and loose yellow color. Many ways to charge the unit so you'll always have a way to keep up with the news. Not everyone has a smartphone or needs one or maybe they have a smartphone but would rather barely use it to save as much power and having seperate radio will help in that. At this price I think everyone can afford to get one for thier emergency kit.

https://www.freeplayenergy.com/aid-and- ... /tuf-radio
Power Source

Solar Panel
Poly-crystalline solar panel, 5V 30mA, with solar charging indication. This serves to play the radio or to charge its batteries without having to wind.
USB
The Tuf may also be fully recharged via a standard USB cable.
Power Management
A rechargeable 3,6V NiMh rechargeable battery pack stores the energy generated from human and solar power.

Long Life Battery Option

Because products for emergency preparation applications are often stored without use for long periods, Freeplay offers the option of a low self-discharge battery. This will ensure that the battery is able to withstand storage for extended periods.

Mobile Phone Charging

USB 5V output port for recharging phone and light personal electronics.
The Tuf has a USB power-out socket that delivers power from the alternator to a mobile phone.
Speaker

40mm 8 Ohm speaker with metal speaker grill
Headphone listening socket

Antenna

FM: Telescopic antenna
AM (MW): internal ferrite rod antenna

Frequencies

Digitally tuned, PLL (phase-locked loop) radio
FM: 88-108 MHz
AM (MW): 530-1700 kHz
SW: 3-22 MHz (non USA version)
WB (weatherband), 7 NOAA channels 162 MHz
(USA version) weatherband channels

More features

12/24 hour clock
Backlit LCD display
Battery level indicator
Tough carabeneer carrying handle

Dimensions

Length: 144mm
Diameter: 60mm
Weight: 300g

Images
  • Screenshot 2020-10-31 131803.jpg
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
4 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 10, 2020
874 posts
900 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/fr ... p/10439629

I was just checking on some NOAA radios and stumbled upon this on sale at Best Buy. According to the manufactuers website it has a 3.6v NiMH battery. The one sold on BestBuy.ca is the non USA one so we get the shotwave where as the USA one gets NOAA built in. This would be a nice portable daily raido to take with you anywhere be it you're working in a kitchen, chopping wodd, fishing, fixing the car, outdoor adventures, preparing dinner, etc.

Price seems ok and in easy to find/hard to leave behind and loose yellow color. Many ways to charge the unit so you'll always have a way to keep up with the news. Not everyone has a smartphone or needs one or maybe they have a smartphone but would rather barely use it to save as much power and having seperate radio will help in that. At this price I think everyone can afford to get one for thier emergency kit.

https://www.freeplayenergy.com/aid-and- ... /tuf-radio

Looks 1/2 decent.. Might give it a shot. A lot of the time they sell USA version in Canada as our ECCC weatherbands use the same frequency as USA.

Had a Midland dedicated weather radio once (supposed to be a good brand, still made in China) that failed spectacularly so this could only be better, right?? :P
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19508 posts
12571 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Judging from the review dates and the fact that the pictures show a mini-USB port, the product has been sitting on the shelf for years so there's a good chance that the rechargeable batteries may need to be replace or at least power cycled multiple times before you get the rated life back out of them.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18612 posts
5436 upvotes
Scarberia
damn, instant buy if i had BT!
bad review!

Free play TUF radio
Reviewed by Gayle - September 7, 2016
I was very disappointed with this product. The description says the radio will play 6 to 8 hours on a full charge. I got 20 to 30 minutes.
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19508 posts
12571 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mikka2017 wrote: damn, instant buy if i had BT!
bad review!

Free play TUF radio
Reviewed by Gayle - September 7, 2016
I was very disappointed with this product. The description says the radio will play 6 to 8 hours on a full charge. I got 20 to 30 minutes.
Like I said above, the batteries will probably need to be power cycled (ran completely down and charged fully up) a few times in order to recover some of the capacity of the NiMH batteries.