• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2020 11:51 am
[OP]
Oct 17, 2004
714 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto

[Best Buy] Bestbuy- Lenovo 100e 11.6" Chromebook - $249

Just saw this as I am searching for a chromebook the kids can use for their online classes.

This is going for $249. Seems to be a good deal for an elementary student to navigate schoolwork.

What do you guys think...

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... r=PLP_Reco
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 16th, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
I'm too poor to buy crap
23 replies
Nov 17, 2013
128 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto, ON
not even sure this things worth $170
Nov 26, 2008
868 posts
514 upvotes
GTA
I had my hopes up for this post. I’m looking for my kid as well and am so far out of the computer spec game.

I’m just hoping all these computer RFD’ers will come through with a legit deal.
Jun 18, 2013
283 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Given the specs, ARM cpu makes Linux crippled, 16 G disk also not much space for Android apps. I would say 250 dollar is regular price, could be good deal if 150.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4623 posts
2729 upvotes
It's not a terrible chromebook but not a great deal. I paid $199 for my Acer CB3, it's at least Intel and 4 gig ram.

Chromebooks should be $179-200, otherwise if you're paying more might as well get a Windows.

Great thing about Chrome OS and chromebook, extremely reliable, no need to worry about...ANYTHING. Viruses, malware, errors, updates,....
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4623 posts
2729 upvotes
Also I doubt there will be great sales for Chromebooks any time soon, they're high in demand including school boards trying to stock up.

Any other RFD parents out there, if you have a monitor already consider a Raspberry Pi, used PCs, off lease PCs. For all the e-learning stuff it's mostly over Google Classroom or D2L, all browser based anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5131 posts
1204 upvotes
bhrm wrote: It's not a terrible chromebook but not a great deal. I paid $199 for my Acer CB3, it's at least Intel and 4 gig ram.

Chromebooks should be $179-200, otherwise if you're paying more might as well get a Windows.

Great thing about Chrome OS and chromebook, extremely reliable, no need to worry about...ANYTHING. Viruses, malware, errors, updates,....
Yeah I agree with this. The updating process on chromebooks is so much faster and seamless than Windows, it makes windows updates look like a joke. I love the simplicity and efficiency of chromebooks. Because it's such a lightweight OS, you don't need much to run basic things like browsing or youtube. Even though this is a low-powered mobile ARM processor, it's quite snappy for basic tasks. And because it's ARM based, it runs android apps quite well because android apps are optimized to run on ARM-based chips.

That said, if you're looking to multi-task or do heavier workloads, you're better off with a more expensive Windows machine. Also this isn't a very good price for this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7112 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
I have this Chromebook.

The CPU on paper looks like crap, but it is at least as fast as the Celeron N3060. Battery life on it is typical of most Chromebooks, 10-14 hours.

It has Type C charge port, which is still a bit rare for cheap chromebooks, and it comes with a good quality 45W type C charger which is worth ~$40 IMHO.

Keyboard and touchpad is typical Chromebook, no complaints. Build quality is also typical Chromebook, no complaints.

The Screen is matte which is nice but lots of chromebooks have matte screens. The LCD panel though is really bad, it looks like a TN panel from 2010.

$170 is about the right price for this chromebook if you can live with the screen, $250 is not a deal.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3797 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
It's not a deal but if your kid is in need and waiting for something to use right now for school (for elementary it's surely Google classroom), this will work fine. Is putting learning on hold worth the $50-80 savings?? Especially if you're in ON and Dougie is handing you $200 specifically for this purpose.
My kid is using an old Surface RT with the type cover keyboard/touchpad and that thing is suuuper slowwww but it gets him through his daily assignments just fine.
If I didn't already have that thing collecting dust, I would've got any Chromebook for $250 at this point given the times we are now living in...
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17621 posts
667 upvotes
I'm trying to find a deal on a Chromebook or two to buy in the next day or so.

Any good leads?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1856 posts
1014 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Same here, need to buy 3 for the kids schooling. anything out there?
Mar 13, 2005
706 posts
395 upvotes
I've grabbed some off eBay. If they don't need access to the Google Play Store you can grab a deal on some older tech that works fine for the kiddos.
Jan 15, 2016
564 posts
578 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
If portability is not essential, i suggest getting refurbished dell small form factor units. The refurbished ones are great and much better than any chromebook. Not all school environments play well with google ecosystem. Also, desktops will give much flexibility for upgrades should this be needed.

https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop- ... 86242.html

Here's one my daughter uses. Probably just have to get an 8gb ram stick but thats optional too.

I've been using dell refurbs since 2004 so i can vouch for reliability both laptops and desktops.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12314 posts
1866 upvotes
Kanata
biscuits wrote: If portability is not essential, i suggest getting refurbished dell small form factor units. The refurbished ones are great and much better than any chromebook. Not all school environments play well with google ecosystem. Also, desktops will give much flexibility for upgrades should this be needed.

https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/desktop- ... 86242.html

Here's one my daughter uses. Probably just have to get an 8gb ram stick but thats optional too.

I've been using dell refurbs since 2004 so i can vouch for reliability both laptops and desktops.
While I agree on the flexibility, this is going to add more cost, as you also have to factor in the cost of speakers/keyboard/mouse/monitor.
4GB on Windows 10 can be pretty painful, so I would recommend factoring that into the price as well.
Chromebooks have their use and if it is for a young child, they are not a bad idea.
Jan 15, 2016
564 posts
578 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
goofball wrote: While I agree on the flexibility, this is going to add more cost, as you also have to factor in the cost of speakers/keyboard/mouse/monitor.
4GB on Windows 10 can be pretty painful, so I would recommend factoring that into the price as well.
Chromebooks have their use and if it is for a young child, they are not a bad idea.
i would still recommend full windows over a chromebook unless the education system fully supports it as do some states in the US. My 10yo uses one in school and she's complained on speed and functionality. she prefers finishing some of her work on her desktop at home then basically doing the presentations in school.

as to cost, for basic needs $25 for 4gb additional ram (making it 8gb total) + 20 for a keyboard/mouse + 50 for a monitor (used or even a refurb 19-21inch would do).

this will make for a more future proof device. if this still is an issue, maybe the ipad which is on sale on staples would be a better alternative than this even imho.
Dec 4, 2017
30 posts
24 upvotes
toronto
chatbox wrote: MediaTek? Staying away...
Not a bad processor.
Owned an Acer R13 with the same media tek 8173C processor and it runs very well on heavy usage (+ Citrix remote)

That said: this is would be a hot deal at$150 not $250
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1448 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
nah no touchscreen and chrome os.

stay away

the Lenovo deal with touch screen on B.F was better deal.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2004
714 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Noticed lots of people are not fans of this device. I did find this one from Lenovo which looks to be interesting for the same price range for $299.

Anyone have experience with these ideapads?
Want to avoid purchasing and dealing with returns since those are going to be tricky to do during Covid.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2961745 ... ws-10-home
I'm too poor to buy crap