• May 16th, 2019 11:59 am
[OP]
May 6, 2010
493 posts
189 upvotes
Ottawa

[Best Buy] BestBuy - Nest Protect with Google Home Mini $149.99

Let's say this is warm.
I've been keeping an eye out for the Nest Protect for a while now and it never seems to come on sale.
Noticed that BestBuy has it for regular price of 149.99 with a Free Google Home Mini.
This works for both the wired and battery version

Even if you can sell the Google Home Mini for 30-40$ (which may be hard with an over saturated market; thanks Spotify!)
Either way, I've been looking to get the Nest Protect and this seems to be the best deal that I've seen
Last edited by TomRFD on May 16th, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
7918 posts
1460 upvotes
Mississauga
If you want just the Nest Protect you're better off buying it from Shoppers on one of their discount or 20x points days to get it cheaper without worrying about reselling a relatively low-value Mini.
[OP]
May 6, 2010
493 posts
189 upvotes
Ottawa
Avenger wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:03 am
If you want just the Nest Protect you're better off buying it from Shoppers on one of their discount or 20x points days to get it cheaper without worrying about reselling a relatively low-value Mini.
I'm looking for the wired one. Every Shoppers I've been to only has the battery one
Jan 21, 2018
52 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Warm deal. I got my Nest Protect from Lowe's for $99, and the last two Google Home Minis I paid for were about $30 each (the last one was actually free in the Spotify deal).

Things to be aware of:
- The Nest Protect detectors expire 10 years after manufacturing, so check the date of manufacture on the one you receive and exchange it if it's more than about 3 months old.
- Just a few days ago Google announced that they are closing off third-party access to Nest products as of August this year, so Nest products will end up being isolated from other non-Google hubs and automation assistance. (Update this morning: Google now says that they will grandfather existing third-party links to your Nest account, but they will not allow new ones to be created. Still bad.)
Last edited by Scote64 on May 16th, 2019 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2012
2999 posts
133 upvotes
WINNIPEG, Canada
I just bought one of these, so I will have to return it and buy this!

Thanks
[OP]
May 6, 2010
493 posts
189 upvotes
Ottawa
Scote64 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:25 am
Warm deal. I got my Nest Protect from Lowe's for $99, and the last two Google Home Minis I paid for were about $30 each (the last one was actually free in the Spotify deal).

Things to be aware of:
- The Nest Protect detectors expire 10 years after manufacturing, so check the date of manufacture on the one you receive and exchange it if it's more than about 3 months old.
- Just a few days ago Google announced that they are closing off third-party access to Nest products as of August this year, so Nest products will end up being isolated from other non-Google hubs and automation assistance.
Care to share how you got the Nest Protect for 99$?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1039 posts
884 upvotes
VANCOUVER
FYI: If only you're getting one of these Nest Protects for the phone notifications when you get an alarm, you may want to look into Alexa Guard. It's a free feature that just launched that will monitor your house when you're away and alert you when there is a fire/co2 alarm or glass break sound detected in your house. It just launched a couple days ago and supposed to be USA only for now but I was able to enable it on my Dot that I have (I got this device originally from the states and registered as US location but maybe you can just change location to achieve the same thing).

It works pretty well with my standard "dumb" smoke alarms and CO2 detectors. I received notifications a few seconds after I triggered the alarm. Anyways just an option for you if you don't need the other features of the Nest Protect

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=18021383011
Jan 21, 2018
52 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
tim.ng07 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:55 am
Care to share how you got the Nest Protect for 99$?
It was on sale at the time. I didn't even have to use their $10-off-for-email-signup coupon. I have seen it since in other sales for $99, although that seems to be about as low as it gets.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3116 posts
432 upvotes
GTA
Also it should be noted that the nest protect doesn't work with other smoke detectors so if you want to interconnect them you need to replace all of them with a nest protect.
Jan 21, 2018
52 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
goozy1 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 9:55 am
FYI: If only you're getting one of these Nest Protects for the phone notifications when you get an alarm, you may want to look into Alexa Guard. It's a free feature that just launched that will monitor your house when you're away and alert you when there is a fire/co2 alarm or glass break sound detected in your house. It just launched a couple days ago and supposed to be USA only for now but I was able to enable it on my Dot that I have (I got this device originally from the states and registered as US location but maybe you can just change location to achieve the same thing).
Alexa Guard still not available in Canada. Mine originally said "Not available yet in your country", but allowed me to register interest. Now it says "Your account no longer has an eligible Echo device for Alexa Guard. Did you recently de-register an Echo?". I have two Echo Dots registered on the account. I can only guess that when I originally registered interest in testing the feature, it was at the time when I was briefly setting up a 3rd Echo Dot as a gift for someone else, and it somehow got tied that Echo Dot and not to my account. Anyway, there isn't even an announced date when it would be available in Canada - if ever - as far as I can find.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1039 posts
884 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Scote64 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:18 am
Alexa Guard still not available in Canada. Mine originally said "Not available yet in your country", but allowed me to register interest. Now it says "Your account no longer has an eligible Echo device for Alexa Guard. Did you recently de-register an Echo?". I have two Echo Dots registered on the account. I can only guess that when I originally registered interest in testing the feature, it was at the time when I was briefly setting up a 3rd Echo Dot as a gift for someone else, and it somehow got tied that Echo Dot and not to my account. Anyway, there isn't even an announced date when it would be available in Canada - if ever - as far as I can find.
No, I've never de-registered my echo dots before. I originally purchased this dot from the states a few years ago before they were available in canada But I don't think that matters. You just need to set your account to US English and USA . You should be able to go to you amazon account setting and do this.

As part of the Alexa Guard, they also added security panel integration. I use the (Canadian company) Envisalink's skill for this. The developer mentions that for now security panel integration is only available in the US so the mention the following:
The Alexa Security Panel skill is restricted to users in the USA using US English. If your Amazon account isn't registered in the USA, you can change your location from your Amazon account, not the Alexa portal. This is a restriction that Amazon imposes, not us. As soon as it is available in other regions we will update this posting. As of right now Amazon is not providing any timeline for when it will be available.
http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=5035
Jan 21, 2018
52 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
goozy1 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:37 am
But I don't think that matters. You just need to set your account to US English and USA . You should be able to go to you amazon account setting and do this.
My two Echo Dots were originally registered to a U.S. Amazon account and remain registered with the same account. I have never de-registered them. They have always been set to US English. But that didn't seem to help with Alexa Guard, previously or now.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
1056 posts
661 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo
Price in title please!
Gaming: i5 4570, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Media: i5 6400, GTX 1070 8gb, 16GB RAM
Everyday: i5 6400, GTX 1060 6gb, 8GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb, Freedom - Freedom 250mb
Jun 14, 2011
180 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Around Black Friday 2017, Best Buy had this promo and the Nest Protect was on sale for $130. I picked up 3 for my house. I ended up giving away all three of the Google Home minis as Christmas gifts to relatives. So far one of them was actually used for 2 hours on Christmas 2017 and has been back in the box ever since. The other two have never been opened.

I've moved since then and I actually could use 3 more nest protects for the new house, but imo google home is an ice cold bundle-in, and $150 is too much to spend on a nest protect.