Bitdefender Total Security Bonus Edition (PC/Android/iOS) - 5 User - 3 Year

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/bi ... 65&irgwc=1
31 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4072 posts
2512 upvotes
Ottawa
Is this a common deal or relatively similar to other offerings from other similar vendors?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4631 posts
5809 upvotes
shylok wrote: Is this a common deal or relatively similar to other offerings from other similar vendors?
Security software deals occur quite regularly (especially on Black Friday and Boxing Day).
My personal limit is 20$ per device/year....yet deal breaks down to 12$ per device for 3 years... so its a pretty solid deal IMO.
Currently using Bitdefender and verify pleased w/ it.. easy to use and runs flawlessly so far..

+1 to the OP for the find.

Cheers, KH
[OP]
Jul 15, 2009
275 posts
710 upvotes
I finally ditched Kaspersky for this.

Bought Kaspersky license off ebay every year since vendors stopped selling it. Kaspersky is good and I was happy with it until I updated my windows to clean Win10 installation. Thought the code should work again on Win10. but it didn't! Contacted Kaspersky and they said the code is used on so many other devices (sold few times on ebay). I had enough and I though to change it. Picked Bitdefender Total Security and have been happy with it sofar.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
It’s on sale quite frequently these days
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
Not bad at all. Works out to $4 (+tax) per device per year. Didn't know they do mid-year sale.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1109 posts
1296 upvotes
Kitchener
Or pay zero and use windows 10 built in software, windows defender.
Works better and less performance impact
Dec 2, 2019
298 posts
682 upvotes
Bitdefender keeps showing popup prompting me to use their VPN every time I start my computer even though I uninstalled their VPN component. It also messed up my existing Nord VPN installation.
Other than this, no issues so far (and I had no issues with windows defender either). I additionally use Malwarebytes Premium as well. I guess, I was doing okay with Windows Defender (+ Malwarebytes).
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4364 posts
184 upvotes
Bought this from Best Buy when it was on sale last time. Just installed yesterday when my original Bitdefender anti virus expired. Just input the code inside the box and activate. No issue at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1138 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
If you buy this from Best Buy it's $60 + tax = $67.80
Buy it directly from Bitdefender and don't pay the tax using the previously posted RFD post below.

You'll probably have to buy it in 3 separate purchases. When you activate the purchases and add them to your account they should add up to 36 months instead of triple the devices and 1 year. Worst case, send an email to support to correct the issue.

Original RFD post:
bit-defender-bit-defender-1-year-licens ... #p32849510

Link to the Bitdefender offer:
https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/ ... 6a296eef24
Oct 29, 2016
578 posts
379 upvotes
Does anyone here with a very high skill level in computers / IT security actually use stuff like this? Most seem to just stick with Windows defender last time I did a dig dive but that was a few years ago. Consensus was software like this did more harm to performance for little to no benefit to security.
May 12, 2009
373 posts
741 upvotes
User381589 wrote: Does anyone here with a very high skill level in computers / IT security actually use stuff like this? Most seem to just stick with Windows defender last time I did a dig dive but that was a few years ago. Consensus was software like this did more harm to performance for little to no benefit to security.
Many computer savvy users stick with only Windows Defender because they tend to engage less in risky computer activities - they know how to avoid the most common dangers that regular users fall victim to (phishing scams, loaded attachments, fishy ads or websites etc). If they do engage in riskier activities (for instance torrenting), then most likely they will use some sort of malware protection other than Windows Defender.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4631 posts
5809 upvotes
User381589 wrote: Does anyone here with a very high skill level in computers / IT security actually use stuff like this? Most seem to just stick with Windows defender last time I did a dig dive but that was a few years ago. Consensus was software like this did more harm to performance for little to no benefit to security.
IMO..Microsoft has issues making a decent browser so why would their security be top notch?
I know a lot of people who are pleased w/ Defender.... I just don't trust it.

Cheers, KH

Disclaimer: the above is MY OPINION. am not saying its right or wrong....it apparently needs to be said before somebody starts beating their chest like King Kong and tells me to go back to using a VIC20 while trying to give me an online security lecture based on their expert opinion from reading PCMAG.
May 12, 2009
373 posts
741 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: [...] Microsoft has issues making a decent browser so why would their security be top notch? [..]
The issues you refer to have mostly been resolved by the new Chromium-based Edge browser. I for instance prefer the new Edge over Chrome for its superior power management. I have a very capable i5 gen 2 machine (circa 2011) and constantly have 50+ tabs open - I could not do that in Chrome without the fan constantly going in overdrive like a jet engine. Most likely using Edge is prolonging the life of my computer and I don't see any loss of performance (I don't care about benchmarks, in fact it is possible that the Edge has an edge over Chrome in this regardWinking Face). Not to mention anything about the privacy issues, where Edge is well known to have top notch features.
Dec 9, 2017
328 posts
920 upvotes
I personally never purchased this kind of software.
I am still on Win 7 on an old dual-core i5 Nuc and it does great for browsing and such, only with Microsoft Security Essentials.
I use a RPi3 with detailed lists for most known malware/spyware/miners that covers all devices in the house.
I also use Ubiquiti UDM with deep packet inspection and Intrusion Detection System on; I block all traffic via GeoIP filtering from Russia, China, most of Africa and middle east. I also have a few simple firewall rules to drop certain traffic. Why UDM? Because I think it's easier to manage than Mikrotik and pfsense, even though you have a lot more control. I also wanted to get into low powered devices and ditched the openbsd box.
Hope this helps as an example.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1138 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, many people in the industry use and recommend Bitdefender.
Actually many in the industry also use ESET but one of my clients' almost got burned by ransomware while using ESET. It took me a few years before I would suggest using ESET as an alternative to Bitdefender.

Personally, through the years, I've gone through all of the major players, Norton, Mcafee, ESET, Kaspersky and now Bitdefender.
Yes, there's also AVG, AVAST ... and many people rely on free versions of anti-virus programs (you get what you pay for those).

Windows Defender is used by many but I equate it to the freeware, you get what you pay for it.
Once, It actually beat out Mcafee for last place, I think last year, which shows how crappy Mcafee has become.
Last edited by Canuck_TO on Jul 21st, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1138 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
horiah00 wrote: Many computer savvy users stick with only Windows Defender because they tend to engage less in risky computer activities - they know how to avoid the most common dangers that regular users fall victim to (phishing scams, loaded attachments, fishy ads or websites etc). If they do engage in riskier activities (for instance torrenting), then most likely they will use some sort of malware protection other than Windows Defender.
While the things you mention do put you more at risk, eveyone else is not immune to being infected or being hit by ransomware.
If you do search for anything on the web you can easily run into sites that are a fake google links that take you to a site waiting to send malware/spyware to your computer.
Even better, there are still many users browsing the web using Internet Explorer. Unless you need to use it for specific sites and only those sites, it should never be used.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)