Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Black Friday ASUS AC3100 Router 4x4 MU-MIMO ($199.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2017 9:33 am
[OP]
Aug 29, 2017
512 posts
1667 upvotes

[Best Buy] Black Friday ASUS AC3100 Router 4x4 MU-MIMO ($199.99)

Regular price $329.99 (40% off) November 24 - November 30

Page 57 of the Black Friday Flyer. Available here:
http://flyer.bestbuy.ca/flyers/bestbuy- ... _id=276105

This is an awesome price for a really awesome router. I wish I would have waited, if I knew this was going to go on sale. Better than the 1900P... which is also on sale, but for all the extras, the AC3100 is a lot better for an extra $50.

Overview
The speedy RT-AC3100 dual-band gigabit router from ASUS ensures low latency online gaming, quick file sharing, and flawless 4K streaming for everyone using your network. A built-in game accelerator delivers low ping time and minimal packet loss, while AiProtection ensures your online experience is safe and secure.
More Information

Lightning fast WiFi router with a combined dual-band data rate of 3167 Mbps delivers smooth 4K streaming, speedy file sharing, and seamless online gaming
AiProtection with Trend Micro delivers superior network security and includes robust parental controls and privacy protection to ensure your online experience is safe and secure
NitroQAM (1024-QAM) technology delivers a combined 3167 Mbps WiFi speed to ensure everyone on your network can enjoy smooth streaming and low latency online gaming
Powerful 1.4 GHz dual-core processor delivers quicker USB data transfers so you can enjoy up to over 100 MB/s speed and the router download/upload speed (WAN-LAN throughput) up to 1.8 Gbps
The Gamers Private Network (GPN) from WTFast automatically performs route optimization and chooses the best route for game packets to deliver lower ping time and minimal packet loss when playing multi-player online games
4x capacity WiFi with revolutionary MU-MIMO technology gives every compatible device its own dedicated WiFi connection so many devices can connect simultaneously without slowing the network down
4x4 antenna design produces a powerful wireless signal that can cover 5400 square feet of space
Last edited by BuciMaci on Nov 19th, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
26 replies
Nov 21, 2016
31 posts
4 upvotes
too bad routers are expensive here.
in china you can get Asus AC86U for like 800RMB(or even less), which translates to ~150 CND. and that's after tax.
happened on both taobao.com and JD.com during the 11.11 promo.
Mar 27, 2017
14 posts
4 upvotes
Any comments on this vs Orbi for $399?

Thanks!!
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1165 posts
692 upvotes
AB
Is this tomato or Merlin compatible?
Nov 21, 2016
31 posts
4 upvotes
U4LIFE wrote: Is this tomato or Merlin compatible?
merlin is, not sure about tomato
Dec 8, 2010
124 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one a few weeks ago but returned it. For some reason mine was not very stable on 5Ghz, oh well...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3667 posts
2209 upvotes
Vancouver
smurfgun2 wrote: Any comments on this vs Orbi for $399?

Thanks!!
The answer to this and virtually any Orbi vs non-mesh router is simple...

If there are no deadspots using regular router in your house, there is no need for a mesh network and the regular router generally will perform better. Only other possible problem is if you have a lot of devices connecting to a router but most household likely wont overload this router.

If you find deadspots/need repeaters/etc then a mesh network will be better.

Also note that not all routers cover the same range. A router like this is less likely to have deadspots/more likely to cover your entire house than say a $80 dlink router (random example). Honestly most homes dont actually need a mesh network as long as your router is near the middle/center of your house.
Mar 27, 2017
14 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks Paigne. I currently have a Nighthawk R7000. I seem to have 2 problems... 5ghz is not very strong at certain locations and so I have to switch to 2.4ghz. Also, it just seems it can’t handle the load of all the devices in the home. I wonder if this one will strengthen my 5ghz so I don’t need to switch to 2.4ghz. And that it handles my traffic smoothly so I don’t experience slow downs...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1465 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
This is great - I have been waiting for the RT-AC88U to go on sale to replace my RT-N66U. This is basically the same router as the AC88U, but with 4 LAN ports instead of 8. I believe there is Merlin firmware for this now too.
Jun 22, 2006
332 posts
50 upvotes
BuciMaci wrote: This is an awesome price for a really awesome router. I wish I would have waited, if I knew this was going to go on sale. Better than the 1900P... which is also on sale, but for all the extras, the AC3100 is a lot better for an extra $50.
Could you elaborate on what those extras are? Like what are the benefits of this over the 1900P?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2669 posts
1676 upvotes
GVRD
smurfgun2 wrote: Thanks Paigne. I currently have a Nighthawk R7000. I seem to have 2 problems... 5ghz is not very strong at certain locations and so I have to switch to 2.4ghz. Also, it just seems it can’t handle the load of all the devices in the home. I wonder if this one will strengthen my 5ghz so I don’t need to switch to 2.4ghz. And that it handles my traffic smoothly so I don’t experience slow downs...
This might disappoint, you can read the review of the RT-AC88U here. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... r-reviewed

5Ghz is meant for short range to eliminate interference and pollution. If you have the R7000, this is not going to improve much because the AC3100 is derived from 1000 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + 2165 Mbps (5 GHz) = 3165 Mbps

In order for you to get 2165Mbps, you need to have a matching client that runs on 4x4 MIMO, otherwise most will negotiate at 867Mbps. This will however improve situation where you have A LOT of AC devices.
jacquesstrap wrote: This is great - I have been waiting for the RT-AC88U to go on sale to replace my RT-N66U. This is basically the same router as the AC88U, but with 4 LAN ports instead of 8. I believe there is Merlin firmware for this now too.
Merlin is the best for Asus.
PedleZelnip wrote: Could you elaborate on what those extras are? Like what are the benefits of this over the 1900P?
Usually AC1900 is referring to 1x 2.4G @ 600Mbps and 1x 5G @ 1300Mbps, and anything higher these days are really just 2x 5G. If you are having issues getting 5G, having 2 will probably not help a lot unless the beamforming is working properly (unlikely it will be perfect).

However, Asus is testing the AiMesh which I think could be a good value proposition for those who wants mesh to cover dead areas
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1972 posts
1326 upvotes
Hamilton
I have an AC68U and gigabit internet. Still only pulls down about 100 mbps standing right next to it.

Just bought my dad the staples AC66u that was on sale and I'm pulling down 175 mbps on a 150 connection from Rogers.

Was thinking of picking this up but I also feel like it isn't my router...
Mar 27, 2017
14 posts
4 upvotes
Is it not expected that this ASUS AC3100 may have better range than the R7000? The problem isn't necessarily I was getting slow speeds at 5ghz... I was connected but I couldn't load a webpage. If it has slightly better range, then this might be okay. Also, I seem to have some routing problems where I get moments where there is significant delay in the network. It feels like all traffic has stalled for a bit. Maybe I should do the Orbi for this reason...
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1465 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
Just a heads up, the Black Friday pricing is live for the AC3100. I just placed the order :)
Mar 7, 2011
78 posts
11 upvotes
I am hesitant. Which one should be the best between this AC3100 vs AC86u?? This AC3100 is cheaper at this price and seems good. Any comments?