Expired Hot Deals

[Best Buy] Blink XT2 multi-camera kits plus Echo Show 5 (works out to about $65 each)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2020 10:20 am
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2597 posts
628 upvotes
Kind of regret getting blink instead of Ring.

I have Ring at my parents house and Blink at my house. Ring's camera quality is significantly better, app is better and faster and response time much better.

Blink isn't bad, and its nice not having to do any wiring...but pick Ring if you can.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1208 posts
585 upvotes
I got the 3 pack blink with free echo dot plus added the echo show 5 for an additional $5 on Black Friday. I was only able to sell the dot for $30 and the show for $50 on Craigslist. I was excited to see $65 each to buy a set for the parents but if that calculation assumes the show 5 is worth $65 then it won’t really be $65 each for the cameras because nobody will pay you $65 for the show 5. However this still a pretty good deal for a pretty good system.
Aug 16, 2011
928 posts
827 upvotes
NORTH YORK
MrFrugal1 wrote: It's really going to depend on usage and the settings you choose. My front door camera activates 24/7, but my driveway cams are set to activate 10pm to 7am. I'm only six months in, so time will tell on battery life.
How do you do that? I dont see an option to schedule cams through the app
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3354 posts
2181 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
CanKon wrote: How do you do that? I dont see an option to schedule cams through the app
Go to the "gear" icon on the camera view page. When you press it, it will open the page with system settings.
Nov 24, 2006
394 posts
197 upvotes
london
CanKon wrote: How do you do that? I dont see an option to schedule cams through the app
Go to the main system settings and click on schedule and then set your schedule
Images
  • upload.png
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3184 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Does the Show auto engage when it detects motion to see your live view?

Whats the value of the Show to the Cam without any manual interaction

Can someone advise?
Apr 18, 2017
466 posts
205 upvotes
Ottawa
How would this be for an indoor camera? Overkill?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3184 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Got my blink plugged in - no battery to worry about

Feel response to app and live view on phone is quicker too with plugin

Got the waterproof camera backing and plug off amazon for about $25

(Never got around to cleaning up the wiring in a neater fashion)
Images
  • 27CA0DC6-0491-4C32-8237-F192B7734B45.jpeg
  • 13718D7C-8A05-4E49-A783-4A523A57F9B4.jpeg
Aug 16, 2010
387 posts
204 upvotes
Sudbury
Thanks OP. Had a Camelx3 alert for the 3 camera kit on Amazon set at 250. Was waiting for a low price before pulling trigger.

So the 3 camera kit for 247 without show from best buy was perfect.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1662 posts
727 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Huh, I just assumed these were only available via Amazon. Been waiting forever for mine to ship as they've been OOS for eons. Will just buy the three pack at Best Buy, thanks OP.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48707 posts
5570 upvotes
Toronto
xxxronjames wrote: How would this be for an indoor camera? Overkill?
This is motion activated camera, wouldn't last long on batteries and you can't access a 24/7 live feed. You can view it live but after a few seconds it will cut off unless you actively press continue live feed.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2015
114 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tylerc wrote: Up to 2 years battery life?? That sounds too good to be true. OP, how has your experience been with the battery life?
I have 3 of the XT2s with 2 sync modules.

Camera #1. The one with the worst battery life and is located downstairs in the back. There is an overhang above it and there are roof shingles on the overhang which I suspect are affecting the signal. It would either have a really weak wifi and sync module signal or I wouldn't be able to connect at all. I think it may be constantly searching for a signal and draining the battery more that way. The first time I replaced the batteries was when I received the low battery notification maybe a few months in (can't remember exactly how many months). It was on low battery for a day or so before it shut off completely. The second time it went offline for a few days and I finally climbed up the ladder to check and change the batteries. That solved it and it reconnected. I must've swiped away the low battery notification or something without looking at it. This was maybe 6 months in. So in total I replaced the batteries twice in 6 months.

Camera #2 is upstairs above camera #1 and facing the rear stairs. It's right on the other side of the door from the wifi extender and the sync module and as a result has pretty good signals. This one has the most daily traffic by far and has been set off more than usual in the past few months as the kids are going in and out multiple times every day. Coincidentally the batteries in this one died at the same time as camera #1 at around the 6 month mark.

Camera #3 is at the front door. This one has been in use for 8-9 months and the battery is still ok. There are on average maybe 2 to 6 daily activations. I have a 2nd router plus the sync module within about 15 feet of it with a wall in between. Wifi and sync module signals are good. It is a possible candidate to get close to or reach 2 years but I can't estimate if it will as the battery only shows as either OK or low battery. Only time will tell.

In summary battery life is truly YMMV. It depends on the number of activations and I suspect the how strong the wifi signal and sync module is as well. I think 2 years is possible only with a strong wifi and sync module signals and infrequent activations.
Sep 5, 2015
205 posts
641 upvotes
Calgary, AB
MrFrugal1 wrote: It's really going to depend on usage and the settings you choose. My front door camera activates 24/7, but my driveway cams are set to activate 10pm to 7am. I'm only six months in, so time will tell on battery life.
How do you schedule different cameras differently? I can only schedule for all?
May 30, 2006
436 posts
229 upvotes
I've got two cameras.

First is above my garage and is pretty active. Gets triggered 10-20 times per day. Installed August 29, 2019 and still on original battery.

Second camera overlooks the pool. In the summer it will get triggered anywhere from 10-30 times per day due to human activity or sun reflections off the pool surface. Installed December 2, 2019 and still on original battery.